Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Desert Hydra (2k) - Army list development blog/bat reps/etc.
Old 16 Apr 2008, 15:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Desert Hydra (2k) - Army list development blog/bat reps/etc.

Hey everyone ^_^ This is a mirror topic of the one that I've started on one lizardem forum. Its about the developing my new army concept. Anyways ^_^ ->

-------------------------------------------------->

------------------------------------------------------------------------------>
Here is my current list and explanation of “basic concept” behind it.

----------------------------------------------------------------->

Lord
Oldblood LA&GW + Jaguar Charm + Aura of Quetzl under Sotek, Chotek & Quetzl = 254

Hero
Skink Priest, diadem = 100

Core
2 x 10 Skinks with Javs&Shields = 120

2 x 10 Saurus + Champion = 264

Special
2 x 3 Kroxigors = 348

3 Teradons = 105

7 Chameleon Skinks = 105

Rare
2 x 20 Saurus Full command under Quetzl & Tepok = 660

Total: 1956
----------------------------------------------------------------->

Well well, this is the concept that I wanted to try out. I will try to build my army this week and test it on weekend. So here is the concept that I think should work.

Concept of "Hunting parties". One "Hunting party" is taken per 1000 points. It consists of ->

20 "rare" saurus with full command (provides main "stones")
3 kroxigors (anti cavalry/monsters)
10 core saurus + champion (blockers/flank guard/flankers)
10 Skinks with Javs/shields (anti skirmishers/screeners/etc.)
Total: 696

The party always deployed together and moves only together.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------>

So far, I see few problems with my list that I will try to fix.
- Vulnerability to silly ethereal.
- Vulnerability to ASF.
- Vulnerability to Strong Psychology/Magic (so far I can cover only one at the time)

So far the only points that can be used are from moving saurus to core at cost of loosing armor and 2 DD. That we’ll give me 120 points + 44 (left over in main list) gives me potentially 164 points and two rares to play around with. I can also may be drop two champs on supporting blocks, but those were effective in every battles I used those blocks at. So far champions on them have aided in almost every battle.
***I am not making them special as special slots are booked 5 years in advance.***

I can get ->
- Cheap Scar vet
- Second priest
- Some magic weapon/MotOO for Old blood
- Two salamanders (1 per party)

Other things that I can do I keep saurus rare, but make them immune to psyc. However I will be ONE freaking point short of getting a naked priest… Anyways any critique/help/opinions is apreasiated.

P.S. Things I’m NOT changing ->
- Concept stays. No two ways about it. Which means the ranked infantry as well.
- Chameleons stay as well. They did what was needed nearly every game since the first time I used them.

Walk tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2008, 15:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Desert Hydra (2k) - Army list development blog/bat reps/etc.

Battle Vs new Daemons – 2k.

Battle was only 4 turns (I was short on time), result was 100 points in his favor. I liked the game since we both had some horrible and some excellent rolling. His list had 3 blocks of infantry (5x4 & 5x5 plague bearers(both banners to re-roll wounds) + Great unclean one + 5x4 Horrors + changeling + beasts of nurgle + 6 flamers). He didn’t have heralds even though he proxyed some other stuff.

On deployment I had to deploy first but I lured him out with ‘dons to deploy his first block. Then I set up first “head” to counter his blocks and second to sweep the flanks. (Unfortunately I should have set up heads closer but forest was in the way. Should have still squeezes them closer…)

On first turn(he went first) not much happen, he shot at my chams with flamers but with all those minuses to hit he hit me on 7+… chams dodged everything and one shot failed to wound. His magic wasn’t great, stopped half of it and the rest didn’t do much. We advanced, I decided to play pressure defense until the second “head will arrive”. ‘Dons speed toward flamers and stopped close to them. Chams got in range and shot. Not much happened (may be a wound or so).

On second turn he shot kroxi’s, but hitting on fives, they failed to kill. I charged flamers with ‘Dons and lord. Lord rolled horrible killing like one (two wounds), ‘Dons did a wound. Flamers put a wound on one ‘Don. They lost one to combat result (I think we made one mistake there by -1 to him being elevated but I forget). First head pressured further stopping skinks at 1’’ of him and Saurus next to them. Smaller block blocks second unit and plague beasts. I make nearly fatal mistakes with kroxigors and set them up wrong by ONE inch. Magic on his side kills 5 saurus with stupid “toughness test” and makes one nurglin swarm… Rest was stopped.

Turn three, he charges skinks, they hold and pass their terror checks and all(lord is near by) and over runs poor guys (he actually poisoned them with pastille breath or whatever so they their stats were 1 across the board >_&gt. The smaller saurus unit also holds (and saves the game pretty much) and diverts half of his army. After overrunning the skinks he plows into other units. Small suarus were not killed but fought two units at same time! He rolled great and still it wasn’t an over run. He won combat by like 11 but regardless he auto broke me. I didn’t roll snake eyes and run. He caught me but was far way from to support other combat. My Lord and ‘Dons finally send the last flamers into the warp and was ready to charge again. However a fatal mistake in positioning kroxi’s didn’t allow me to swallow his unit… Just a little bit can cost you a serious opportunity…
***Analysis. If I would have made a positioning right, I’ve had Korxi’s in his flank and Lord in his rear. With combined US of 32(or more I don’t remember exact number of suarus but it was 12+ in beginning of combat) which is one more then his 31 (25 – 4(daemon takes space) + 10(10 wounds on the daemon). Yes he would have gone first (initiative order since both counts as charged), but then again he’d have no ranks and 9+6 S7 attacks coming his way (+ a flank).***
However that didn’t happen so I had to let that unit go. The combat was only lost by two! (I had only one rank) and rolls were more or less average. Unfortunately he outnumbered and auto broke me. Then this time my luck helped me (that was a lucky moment). I run 12’’ and he doesn’t catch me.

Rest was more or less boring and the game ended in a stand off. I had my unit of saurus in his rear and two units of kroxi’s + the whole left flank staring in his face. The game ended in a stand off.

Hopefully more reports this weekend ^_^.

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Old 16 Apr 2008, 15:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Well as for your suggestions. Why would you want a naked priest? Your already getting 8 DD.

I'd rather be vulnerable to psychology than magic. So id stick with Tepok on the units.

How have the unit Champs been helpful?

You could go some way in solving the Ethereal problem, by dropping those 2 champs and getting a Skink Chief with the Biting Blade, plus you could afford a Shield for the Oldblood then.
Old 16 Apr 2008, 16:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thats only 7 DD, and I would want one if I'd go drop Tepoks and get salamanders. Otherwise I wouldn't ; )

Champs stopped lone characters from eating my small unit. With usual outnumber (vs lone character) and sometimes +1 rank, I can only loose by 4, which isn't THAT bad.

I'll think what I can change... On the skink with biting blade... He will only be able to take biting blade... Not even basic shield + LA (biting blade is more expensive then say empire has it). Thats kinda week isn't it?

Thanx for help mate I would like to here more ways (if you got any ideas) on how to deal with ethereal and banshees

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

Old 16 Apr 2008, 17:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

The skink could still put a wound or 2 on ethereal units [especially wraiths and spirit hosts] whilst combat res from a unit levels it up. He will get killed on his own but could come in handy if supporting a unit. Hard to get much else with the points you have available without sacrificing a lot of what your looking for in the army.

7DD?

Havent you got 1 on your lord, 2 on your Sauros Rares, 2 for the army, 1 for the Priest, 2 for the diadem.

1+2+2+1+2 Or have I added one where I shouldnt have?

Old 16 Apr 2008, 17:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Lord doesn't have the Tepok(he takes risks a lot ^_^), but he might get it, I'll look into that. I was thinking of retooling his spawnings as Tepok, Tlazcotl, Quetzl. I'll loose attack on the charge, but gain dispel dice and psych immunity.

On the "skink ghost buster"… Well, the real problem I’m heaving is “What else is he going to do?” I mean besides countering some ethereal… The second use is to provide LD boost to one of the skink units… However skinks attract quite a bit of attention…

One of my ideas was to swap ‘Dons on the FSoD. Give him Sword of Might & Cloak. I would drop sotek and scout he would cost 109 points. That’s not much at all and he can kill warmachines or ethereals. However ‘Dons are better at killing warmachines and snipe mages -> something Chief can’t do (he’ll be challenged and broken)…

Another delema ^_^. I welcome all ideas ^_^.

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

Old 16 Apr 2008, 17:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

What are Dons? All i can think that it could be are Stegadons but I dont see any in your list.

For what your Oldblood does Id be tempted to just have a Scar Vet with Sotek and Tepok. Give him a Shield + LA. Gets the same save as your Oldblood has now vs shooting.

That would leave you enough for a proper Skink Ghost Buster and then something else probably, maybe a pair of them [1 for each hunting party].

By dropping the Old Blood to a Scar Vet and losing the two Sauros Champs you can afford;

Skink Chief;
Cloak of Feathers,
Sword of Might,
Sotek,
Shield,
LA.

He could even double charge with your Scar Vet [as it has now lost an attack from being an Old Blood]. 5 S7 + 4 S5, with fly he could hit a unit in the back whilst the Vet hits it in the front for a combat Res of 6. That should see off most units.

Leaving you on 1998 points.

Old 16 Apr 2008, 23:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

'Dons = teradons ^_^ (Since as you noticed I don't run Stegadon ^_^)

Oldblood -> Scar-Vet. Trust me, it is well worth taking Oldblood. Especially at this level. My lord is very cheap and doesn't carry lot of stuff. And that Stat boost is well worth it. Having a Chaos Lord stat line (without WS & I and a bit higher LD) but 65 points cheaper. I see the point you are trying to make though ^_^.

I'll think on the champion thingy... I'll try to post the edits shortly.
Thanx for help mate

P.S. And on rear charge, you need US 5 to claim the bonus.

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

Old 16 Apr 2008, 23:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

You still get the +2 Combat Res, you just dont negate rank bonus IIRC. But even with their rank bonus, your combat Res of 6 should beat most static res of 5.

Haha, totally missed those Terradons!, I was wracking my head trying to think what you meant by it and it was right in front of me lol.

Good luck with the list dude.
Old 17 Apr 2008, 00:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Got another idea;

If you drop -

The 2 unit Champs + the extra armour save mark off your rare [just 1 unit, so you have 1 special and 1 rare].

That leaves you with exactly 90 points. Enough for a Skink Chief with Staff of the Lost Sun.