Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[WFB] Skaven
Old 14 Apr 2008, 02:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Dante18907
Default [WFB] Skaven

So I own the Skaven Armybook (nearly called it a codex!) and I definitely want to get into WFB because I feel it works better as a big army game than W40k. I want a skirmishy kinda Eshin force. Eg. Lotsa gutter/night runners, an assassing and backed by stock standard toops and such. Any thoughts?

Dante
Old 14 Apr 2008, 15:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq
Default Re: [WFB] Skaven

There is an Eshin Army in the Storm of Chaos book, not legal anymore but it will be what you want for friendly games.

The army you want wont really be competative. If that really isnt a problem and you just want fun with it, then go for it.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 21:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hmm, sounds good. I wonder if its on the 'net somewhere. As I don't really have many funds at the moment. Hehe

Dante
Old 15 Apr 2008, 03:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ok I wouldn't build the "storm of chaos" lists as they are no longer legal and far from balanced. Instead I would use more or less "composite" list with regular skaven book.

You can't exactly build an Eshin list as you NEED warlock engineer at least as scroll caddies to defend Vs magic. Without them its hard to build a competitive list as magic can hurt.

Anyways I think you CAN build list that an win with Eshin and a little skyre (mainly caddies). So what does ninja rats have to offer?

Assassin -> quite over priced but IMO he can be used very good. No more then two though. One with warpstone throwing stars (great thing btw) and one with something else ( there is a ton of options )

Also remember that he can be hidden in night or even gut runners and your opponent usually have no ways of finding that out. And if there is 3 units of each, thats where the fun begins ^_^

Just remember that you'll need clan rats so make sure you'll make a good solid core with supportive characters and at least 3 blocks of clan rats.

This army IMO have real chances of working as it will have a great deal of disorienting power and a serious anvil. You might HAVE to grab a warp lighting cannon as neutralizations of big targets that cause terror will be a must.

I hope I helped. ^_^

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2008, 05:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Walk tall? Thats man-thing talk talk! Kill Kill!!

Nah, I'm not looking for a competitive list to start with, just something fun and themey. I was thinking of doing an Eshin theme army, with the clanrats being either gutter runner models only painted differently or using spare/bought gutter runner heads, so that even though I'll HAVE the clanrats, they'll look like Eshin troops. Another thought was to make/convert some halberds into Naginata-looking things for the Stormvermin and making them very oriental looking, black armour with some filigree etc. lotsa flowy robes over the top etc. This is going to be a lot of work but I believe it will pay off.

To start I'm thinking a very skirmishy army, 1000 points or below, so maybe 3 units of Clanrats, 3 Gutter Runners, 3 Night Runners, Assassin and maybe a Stormvermin or two. Have'nt calculated the points of this, but I'm thinking it would be less than 1000 points. And this also works with the rules for Skaven. Now I know that there is nothing heavy hitting in this so far, but as I said, it will be mostly a fun-to-build-and-paint army, and will be for beer and pretzels gaming primarily.

Any thoughts?

Dante
Old 30 Apr 2008, 23:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

[glow=red,2,300]Rat-Ogres!!!![/glow]

And globadiers. I incorporate both into my 1000 point armies, a pair of ogres and about 5 globadiers. Don't have a lot of experience to pull from but I've had good success (and a shit load of fun) with these two units.

skreetch, skreetch 'cause life is cheap, cheap

Piet
Old 03 May 2008, 10:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShasOPeteDawg
[glow=red,2,300]Rat-Ogres!!!![/glow]

And globadiers. I incorporate both into my 1000 point armies, a pair of ogres and about 5 globadiers. Don't have a lot of experience to pull from but I've had good success (and a Shtlk load of fun) with these two units.

skreetch, skreetch 'cause life is cheap, cheap

Piet
The thing is, he wants a themed army, and my limited knowledge of Skaven tells me that Rat Ogres and Globadiers don't fit into an Eshin army. They are loads of fun, yes - I've seen them work to devastating effect - but they've got no place in an Eshin list, which is formed primarily of Skirmishers and Assassins.

Unfortunately, I've got nothing else to add here - anything else I could have said has been said. Like I said, I'm not very knowledgable about Skaven, other than what all the different clans are formed up of.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2008, 19:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Just a question. You do realize that there is a Clan Eshin list in the back of your Skaven Army Book?

If you want a themed army, that's the way to go. Night Runners are mainstay for god sake!

You even got 'Eshin Sorcerers' to be your caddies.
SkullzD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2008, 02:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullzD
Just a question. You do realize that there is a Clan Eshin list in the back of your Skaven Army Book?

If you want a themed army, that's the way to go. Night Runners are mainstay for god sake!

You even got 'Eshin Sorcerers' to be your caddies.
Those are "appendix-lists" and require the opponents permission to use them. The reason is quite easily found: They are not balanced, they do not even try to be.

In fact many army books had such appendices: Artillery army of Nuln for the empire, a dreaded list indeed.

I´d say use the regular skaven list. The golden rule here is "counts as", and many eshin units can still be included.

Greet, Trogdor

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote