Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Newcomer to Night Goblins
Old 13 Apr 2008, 18:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Newcomer to Night Goblins

A friend of mine quite recently bought the Battle for Skull Pass set and sold the Night Goblins to me.

I am actually in LOVE with them.

Though I haven't purchased the Armies Book yet as I've been tied down by other things.
Has anyone get any reccomendations as to what to get next?
I really want some squig hoppers. ;D

Look forward to advice.

arandomshadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
That may just be helped by massive boobs though, i'm female. I don't know how that shiz works...
arandomshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2008, 20:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq
Default Re: Newcomer to Night Goblins

Depends how you want to do it really.

Do you want pure Night Gobbos? If so the only real way to do that is with Skarsnik, so he should be your next purchase.

Convert the spears you have to be hand weapons, as Spears are a very bad choice for Night Gobbos.

Buy some Fanatics.

Squigs [both kinds] are great units, so they are well worth buying.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 18:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks for the advice.
Will buy Skarsnik, Fanatics and probably Squig hoppers, as well as the Armies Book :P

Don't know about the converting to hand weapons thing as I don't have any parts for Night Gobbo's.

Thanks again.

arandomshadow

Quote:
That may just be helped by massive boobs though, i'm female. I don't know how that shiz works...
Old 14 Apr 2008, 19:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ok ok... besides actual gaming composition of the army on which I can't comment (not an expert, Veq is your guy here), I will say this.

Buy squigs? Dude are you made of money? ;D Squigs are THE easiest thing to sculpt. Here is what ya do ->

1. Make blob from some cheap potty (like some sort of plumber potty or "quick plastic").
2. Change its shape before it gets stone hard (after about 15 min) to some sort of irregular ellipse. If you want an open mouth, make a huge whole (cut out a piece).
3. make to small balls of green stuff and put them on the end where the eyes should be.
4. Make two legs. You can simple make him "sit down" and legs can be "put on" the ellipse. Leg is essentially a "conical or cylindrical" strip of GS that you just slap on the side of the blob and then shape up a bit with your tools.
5. Once the legs, eyes and the mouth are done, put some teeth and spikes on your squig to make it look squigy and dangerous ^_^. You can also add a tong

The whole thing would take on average 15 or so minutes. Once you get a grip of this you can make 10-15 of these in about 3 hours. It will save you money, you will have UNIQUE squigs, and its a great way to start (if you already didn't) your "sculpting aspect of the hobby. Remember the weirder and funnier the squig looks the better. Once you make couple of these (or say a unit) you can try to make Scar Snick yourself, correction, not him but his squig.

P.S.1. I'm not a fun of special chars. I would just use a regular warboss on a squig as I simply don't like special characters ^_^. But that's up to you.
P.S.2. You can also make your own squig hoppers. make a squig as above and then take a spare Gobo, cut the bottom half and you can just make the extension of his cloak to cover his "legs". Then put on top of a squig ^_^ Here ya go-> Squig Hopper ^_^.

Hope I helped ^_^

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2008, 00:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I may try that with the Squigs Red Dog.

With regards to Skarsnik though, he is the only way to get a LD8 Night Gob General. Plus the model is awesome.

With regards to the hand weps, you dont need any spare parts, just cut the spear haft down, cut the tip off and then stick it back on over the hand. Only really need to do the front rank so your opponent knows what they are.
Old 15 Apr 2008, 02:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
With regards to Skarsnik though, he is the only way to get a LD8 Night Gob General. Plus the model is awesome.
I agree -> Both model and the rules are great. The only problem I have is "lots" of armies with the same guy. If I was to use him, I'd make a "stand in" ->
convert some other model like him (with some big huge monster - squig/spider/wolf) and make up some name ^_^. And then use Skarsnik rules.
Means this way you'd have a unique army and not lose out on the rules

P.S. On squigs, yeah give it a try ^_^ Shouldn't be to hard. Make a few, may be it'll save some time and bring more color to the table

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2008, 10:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You really need lots and lots of night goblins. Units of at least 36 in size. Bigger preferably.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2008, 13:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yeah, I find they have to be at least 30+.

'I agree -> Both model and the rules are great. The only problem I have is "lots" of armies with the same guy. If I was to use him, I'd make a "stand in" ->
convert some other model like him (with some big huge monster - squig/spider/wolf) and make up some name ^_^. And then use Skarsnik rules
'

Yeah, I agree on that, Im planning on using the Night Gobbo Warboss with the Great Weapon along with the Giant Cave Squig model as my Skarsnik and Gobbla. Then just get the proper model too for fluff battles when I play my mates Skaven when he's using Queek.
Old 16 Apr 2008, 17:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I might try creating my own Skarsnik. And definitely my own squigs. Thanks a lot Veq and Red-Dog. Well considering all I have are 60 Night Gobbo's with spears/hand weapons, 30 archers, a shaman and a boss. Oh and a troll. Which type of troll is better by the way? River, stone etc..

arandomshadow

Quote:
Old 13 May 2008, 17:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to alilamyman Send a message via MSN to alilamyman Send a message via Yahoo to alilamyman

This was exactly the way in which i started my orcs and goblins army and now i own 4000pts! What i did was to buy a box of orcs to get some muscle into the force and an orc general to provide some reasonable leadership to stop your gobbo's running away. Then i would invest i some war machines ot pummel your enemy fomr afar. They may not be as accurate as those of other races but they are a hell of a lot cheaper. Then as the above people have said i would get Skarsnik as he really helps when a lot of night goblins are on the field.Hope that helps and just rember to Waaagh!