Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Battle For Beer
Old 26 Mar 2008, 08:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default The Battle For Beer

This battlereport is brought to you by "Skavenbrew", the only beer with green fluorescence and no additional food color.

And so it happened in the distant town of Iserlohn that the Dawi and the Skaven met to settle the age-old question once and for all: Which beer is the best, Bugmanns XXXXX or Skavenbrew?

My good friend Snipper and me played this entertaining little scenario past saturday and of course we want to share it with you all.

We made up some rules and I improvised the needed token. Enjoy:

Scenario: Battle For Beer

Special rules:

4 Beer token
Each token is worth 250 victory points.
Only units with unit stregth 5+ can capture beer token
Token are captured very much like standarts.
Units carrying beer cannot march and are immune to psychology.
Units carrying beer have to roll a d6 at the s´tart of their turn:
1: The unit is stupid, 2-5: Normal 6: The unit is frenzied

Here are the hedonistic hordes:

Armylist Dwarfs (Trogdor):
Runebrewlord -> Runic Bar of Doom, shield, great weapon, Rune of Stone, 2x Rune of Spellbreaking
Thane, in dire need for a drink -> Battlestandart, Masterrune of Swiftess, Rune of Fury, Rune of Cleaving, Rune of Stone
Thane, tavern veteran -> Zgreat weapon, Masterrune of Gromril, Rune of Resistance, Masterrune of Challenge

10 thirsty warriors -> shields, musician
10 thirsty warriors -> shields, musician
10 way too sober quarrellers -> shields
10 way too sober thunderers -> shields
18 longbeards, longing for ale-> shields, full command, Rune of Stoicism, Rune of Battle

18 ale-downing hammerers -> shields, full command, Rune of Courage
20 Slayer, anonymous alcoholics -> 2 giantslayers, standart
2x 10 miners

Organgun
Gyrocopter

Armylist Skaven (Snipper):

I apologize, but I am not familiar with the english skaven terms. So I can only give an overview over the army, no in depth equipment and such.

Grey Seer on Screaming Bell
Warlock
Battlestandartbearer
Assassin

25 clanrats with warpflamethrower
25 clanrats with rattling gun
25 clanrats
25 storm vermin

21 slaves
22 aslaves
3x6 skirmishers
1 unit of giant rats

4 skirmishers, tunneling
5 skirmishers, tunneling
24 plaguemonks

1 Warpligthning cannon
8 of those flailing plaguemonk-skirmishers

Turn I, Dwarves:

Let this battle be known as "The Beer Wars"!

I begin the battle for the beer. Two of the tokens are located right in front of my longbeards and slayers, which of course means there is no stopping them from getting in gears and so both units march forward.

While the longbeards already enjoy a drink the slayers will have to wait until next turn to reach the ale.
All other units advance as well, the gyrocopter moves towards the other side of my deployment zone, where the rats of the plague clan prepare to contest my slayers for the ale.

The clanrats with attached screamin bell experience the results of a rune of wrath and destruction, in order to keep them close to the table´s edge.
The quarrellers cause panic in the skirmishers that protected the unit with the bell.

Longbeards in their natural habitat: Near large amounts of ale

Slayers on their way for refreshments

Turn I, Skaven:

The skirmishers rally.
The slaves are able to secure one of the beer tokens- for now.
My Warplightning cannon moves forwards to take a better position.

During the magic phase I am able to draw out the first Rune od Spellbreaking.

Nothing to shoot at, so I ring the bell, which is a double 6, a misfire, but nothing happens.

Something´s telling me they will not share the beer...

The Grey Seer rides on his bell, the sound of which announces the happy hour

The smelly hordes...

Turn II, Dwarves:

The first unit of miners arrives on the battlefield directly behind the skaven that have to push the bell around.
The Slayers attack the skirmishers, which protected the plaguemonks. The attack failed of course, since the rats did what they are best at: flee. But the Slayers claimed the beer which was the real prize anyways. They do not loose any time and quench their thirst.

The longbeards do not show any results of their excessive drinking (yet). So they advance along with the rest of my troops.

The thunderers do not hit a single time, but the quarrellers send two skaven to the horned rat.
The organ gun misfires, but no further damage.
By the rune of oath and honour the miners are able to charge the skirmishers behind the bell´s unit. Those flee as anticipated, but sadly the miners could not reach the skaven regiment. They missed out by 1/2 inch.
The gyrocopter fires his steamcannon into the plaguemonks, but it has no further effect than making their filthy fur more fluffy.

Hammerers and warriors on their quest for ale

Turn II, Skaven:

The slaves must have secretly had some beer, because they seem to think that they are in fact the biggest, strongest and by far the most handsome fellas around. Naturally they have to prove this and so thefrenzied slaves charge the hammerers in front of them.

The two units of skaven skirmishers leave their tunnels to attack the organ gun.

Seeing the weird redhaired dawi downing the beer the plaguemonks charge to demand their fair share (which would naturally be all of it).

The Greys seer orders his unit to turn and face the miners.
Unveiling himself the assassin tumbles into the open, leaving the unit with the screaming bell to put some hurt on the miners.

During the magic phase the warlock activates the strom demon, but all that happens is him burning his own tail (-1LP). Enraged he fires his own warplightning and fries 3 dwarvish warriors. That will teach them drinking his beer.
The Grey Seer kills 4 miners with warp lightning and attempts to enhance the "Frenzy" the slaves are already in. Sadly the dwarves dispell this time.

Now it pays that the warlock put the warpstone that powers the cannon into the strongest skavenbrew for over one week. The dwarvish flying machine seems quite impressed by strength 10 and 6 lost wounds, in fact, it seems so impressed that it promptly takes it´s leave from this existence.
Motivated by this the flamethrower aims for the longbeards and burns 3 beards.

The assasin kills 2 miners with his throwing stars.

The slaves fight like maniacs and with their 16 attacks they manage to wear one hammerer down. In return the hammerers kick their rears of those little nutjobs and drive them off. They get away from the hammerers who seem to confused about their dead comrade to really catch up to them.
The Plaguemonks and their flail-wielding comrades kill 5 slayer... the beer is nearly in reach...

Interesting fact about skaven #1: Some minor clans have specialized in service, here: Beer delivery

Guess who´s here for beer and prezels?

Anyone mentioned free beer?

Turn III, Dwarves:

Since the slaves were so kind to deliver the third beer token directly to my hammerers, now three fourth of the ale was in dawi hands.
The unrestrained consum of ale ahowed no negative consequences so far.
A cheer for dwarvish livers!

The second unit of miners arrives at the battlefield, but all rats havecleared the tablesides by now. So the miners attempt to secure the last beer token.

The four remaining miners of the other regiment face the skaven in a last defiant charge.

The hammerers position themselves to face the clanrats, leaving the fleeing slaves be.

The slayers are still defending their ale with teeth and nails, but the thirsty and filthy hordes of the plaguemonks are just as determined to get pint or two of their own. Add this determination to their high numbers and you will see a problem for the slayers arise in the long run. So ten warriors move into position for a flank charge.

After taking the organ gun and it´s crew out the vermin of clan Eshin are looking for other victims. Since I could not afford to see my anvil trapped in combat for some turns the other warriors turned to face the obnoxious skirmishers. Aided by the rune of oath and honour they charged, sending one of the skaven´s units directly into the anvil.

The longbeards advanced further to face the storm vermin.

Shooting was as unspectacular as expected.

The combat phase saw the inevitable defeat of the (4) miners, but the skaven chose not to follow the fleeing dawi. What a shame... I hoped I could buy the other miners some time to secure the ale.
The battle between slayers and plaguemonks saw another inconsequential victory for the skaven.

So close and yet so far away...

"Catch the rat" is a popular dwarvish drinking game

The clanrats prepare themselves to snatch the ale from the hammerers... little rascals!

Turn III, Skaven:

No beer, no negative consequences, apart sad faces of course.
The skirmishers charge the quarrellers which flee and get away.
Those weird dwarfs with long white beards start to shout insults and challenges towards the clanrats and their attached warlock (Masterrune of Challenge). This is so unnerving that the rats flee, never to be seen again.

The slaves do not rally and flee into the building in front of them and hide in the cellar. The assassin moves towards the hammerers, the warplightning cannon has no targets in sight and is moved more into the open. The rattling positions itself aiming at the hammerers.

After the warlock went AWOL the grey seer is on his own in the magic phase. Nothing happens other than a warp ligthning with a complexity roll of 19 against the hammerers, which forced the runesmith to use the second rune of spellbreaking.

The flamethrower fires into the longbeards yet again and fries another 4 dwarves.
3 Hammerers hit the ground, killed by the assassin´s throwing stars.

The battle between plaguemonks and slayers sees only little casualities: 2 Monks and 2 Slayers.

The skaven decline the kind invitation of the longbeards.

They said they only had to fetch something really quick...

Turn IV, Dwarves:

The warriors charge the flank of the plaguemonks to support the slayers.
Driven into a fit of rage by tremendous amounts of ale the slayer fall into a frenzy. Oh yes, this combatphase would be good.

The longbeards charge the lousy slaves to make their way through to the storm vermin.
Both the miners and the quarrellers rally, this about ale after all!

The "new" miners secure the ale, a noble task indeed.

To buy some time for the miners to get away with their prize the runelord uses his rune of wrath and ruin again, hoping to slow the grey seer and his unit down.
It was probably the quenching thirst which broke his concentration and led him to make a fatal mistake: The anvil will be useless for 2 turns!

All hope the miners had to silently sneal of with the ale are shattered and they prepare rather unwillingly for the imminent last stand against the filthy hordes.

Once again the thunderers are useless. A lesson I learned this game is to provide my troops with sufficient amounts of beer at all costs, otherwise their performance suffers.

The combat phase seems to be blessed by Grimnir.
The drunken and frenzied slayers inflict massive casualities onto the children of the horned rat, and with the supporting flank charge of the warriors they eventually drive of the vermin.
Sadly the dawi are only worried about the beer, and so the rats get away.

Elsewhere the longbeards walk straight through the slaves.

This is not even a real battle.

THIS is a battle!

And this the result...

Turn IV, Skaven:

Sadly there is no opportunity to charge this turn, but the plaguemonks rally next to the warp lightning cannon.
The warlock and his unit flee from the table. Well, they probably just fetch some mugs for later.

The assassin moves directly in front of the hammerers.

The grey seer roll son his bell towards the miners with the ale - THIRST!
The skirmishers move to avoid the small unit of dwarf warriors.

Most of the magic is dispelled, but I manage to slip one warp ligthning throufg: 4 hammerers are toast.

Attempting to fry some more of those long bearded beer- robbers the flame thrower opens fire. It appears if the crew was overcautious (they do not want to hit the beer... warm beer, bah... only good for elves) and so they miss the longbeards by about 10 ". Enough to hit the warriors, which play with the skirmishers. 4 dwarfs done, they flee.

The warp lightning cannon is happy to fire again and due to strength 10 (yet again) 3 plaguemonks, 1 dwarf warrior and 2 slayers will miss the party tonight.

At last the hour of the rattling has struck: 10 shots, 7 wounds and just as many dead hammerers. The crew will be rewarded with some extra ale, that´s for sure.

The filthy vermin is back... and they brought artillery!

Turn V, Dwarves:

Now even the longbeards begin to feel the excellent quality of the ale. Frenzied they charge the Warpflamethrower, which had cost them so many comrads. The rats flee (which I cannot hold against them, honestly).

The hammerers also get to experience the potency of their favorite beverage. Enthusiastic they engage in a deep, meaningful discussion about the dilemma of life, the universe and everything. They are so deeply immersed in this debate that they forget the whole world around them.

The four remaining warriors position themselves directly in front of the plaguemonks to open the enemy´s flank for the slayers by their sacrifice.

Again the shooting phase sees no action. Thirsty dawi are unable to fight...

If brute forth does not get the job done, try strategy... then apply brute force again

Many casualities only mean more ale for the rest!

Turn V, Skaven:

No beer - no tests.
But the plaguemonks charge the dwarf warriors in front of them, which flee and are overrun. Cowardly dwarfs...

The miners on the left side seem more courageous (maybe there is a connection to the ale?), since they stand the attack of the screaming bell.

The assassin does not rally and flees directly behind the clanrats.

The "skirmishing plague monks with flails" do not rally, too. They subsequently flee from the board.

In anticipation of the delicious beer right before his nose the grey seer seems unable to concentrate properly and so the dwarfs are able to dispell every spell.

The warplightnincannon on the other hand has it´s 15 minutes of fame. Once again Strength 10, and once again 3 crispy slayers.

Since the best weapon crew will be rewarded with an extra mug of ale, the rattling´s crew push their limits to rid the old world of the hammerers. Rolls: 6 + 5 + 6 - BOOM. Ah well, more ale for the others.

The combat between screaming bell and miners is short and painful. The bell takes out 4 miners and the last remaining dwarf is unable to swing his weapon in the right direction. The miners fail the Ld, run and get rolled over.
The beer is ours, so the grey seer announces happy hour.

Tonight... we drink... in HELL!

Turn VI, Dwarves:

The loss of a part of the ale to the hated rats goes completely unnoticed by the brave, not so sober dawi warriors.
Hammerers, longbeards and even the slayers experience a pleasing delirium tremens. Orders go unheard, and the only thing that might bother the dawi is an empty mug.

At least the slayers stroll into the now exposed flank of the plaguemonks.

The thunderers give it their best shot (literally) and cause panic in a small unit of 6 skirmishers... hooray, I guess.

The Runelord manages to get his anvil under control again and uses it to motivate the hammerers to a charge against the clanrats in front of them.

Sadly the Rats stand their ground and pass their Ld against their nature.

The slayers are far too drunk to stand upright, let alone fight. They hit nothing, but in return they receive a good pounding.

The difference between frightening fighting machines driven by alcohol and drunk idiots is very small indeed.

Turn VI, Skaven:

The Storm Vermin charge the longbears in an attempt to secure another beer token for the children of the horned rat.

The assassin rallies.

In the magic phase the grey seer kills another 4 dwarf warriors with his warp lightning, but the dwarfs pass their panic check.

Once again the warplightning cannon fires, of course with strength 10. Another 2 Slayers will not attend teh after-battle party.

Thusly decimated the 2 remaining slayers get wiped out by the plaguemonks.
The storm vermin fares much worse, they get pounded by the longbeards and eventually are overrun. The beer made the dwarfs into beasts...

The hammerers loose the battle against the clanrats, but they stand. Luckily they are now reduced to 4 models and thus they can no longer claim the ale for the dwarfs.

You can tell they had some drinks... happy faces.

Alone amongst dwarfs, but in best company between drunks...

Final Result: A clear draw by points, but 2 beer token in skaven paws, only 1 in dawi fists.

Nonetheless the following party went on to be known as "The Storm Of Ale" in the history of both races.

Interestingly the next morning would later be called "The Great Nausea", but neither dawi nor skaven like to talk about this wretched day...

I hope you guys had some fun reasing this little report of ours, just as Snipper and me had a blast playing the game and writing the report.

Greetz, Trogdor

This report was brought to you by "Bugman´s XXXXX, the ale that even makes elves seem attractive*"

*no actual warranty

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2008, 14:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq
Default Re: The Battle For Beer

Awesome BatRep, +1 Karma.

What models did you use for your Hammerers?.
Old 26 Mar 2008, 23:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

HA! Nice Trog! ^_^ Finally you've got some action! ^_^

Over all I see you "diverged" from a main battle plan a bit ^_^. Not to criticizes you battle plan mate, but I wouldn't have stretch my force so wide... As I see from the first "wide shot", his right flank was completely open. I would mobilize everything you've had as soon as you see that happen. Let your missile guys cover your left flank and let the gyrocopter take the WLC.

But then again, I see it worked pretty good over all

What really impressed me is that master rune of challenge worked. Did he "refused" charge himself or why did he flee? Again, makes me think about my own army and a "possible switch-around for immune to psych spawnings" ^_^

Anyho, I'm (as always) glad to see a REAL dwarf player who is an extreme rarity these days ^_^ I solute the comrade I am waiting for more strategy genius fro your drunken German head ;D Good Battle Rep and good fun
***Nice move on illuminating (or at least breaking once) his monks. They (especially with plague censers, "flail-rats") are HARD to beak. I would may be waited before charging them again... But then again, I don't see what else you could have done...***

P.S. Did the assassin had warpstone throwing stars? I see they worked VERY well... Never seen them used that way.

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2008, 13:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Awesome BatRep, +1 Karma.

What models did you use for your Hammerers?.
Much appreciated.

I used the Gamezone models. If you do not know about Gamezone yet, here a link for you (it is the german website, because it is the only website you can set to english :P) http://www.gamezoneminiatures.de/
Have a look around. Some very nice models there.

Quote:
Over all I see you "diverged" from a main battle plan a bit ^_^. Not to criticizes you battle plan mate, but I wouldn't have stretch my force so wide... As I see from the first "wide shot", his right flank was completely open. I would mobilize everything you've had as soon as you see that happen. Let your missile guys cover your left flank and let the gyrocopter take the WLC.
I wanted an all painted army, so I was limited in my choices. I´d like to kick the thunderers, maybe even the quarrellers, but as I said: They are painted, they get used.

Remember that he has more droppings than I have. He simply puts down small units like skirmishers and giant rats, and when I am done setting up he can then place his main units. So there was no way for me to see that during deployment, and due to my low movement no possibility to exploit it later in the game.

Sae for the gyro: The WLC was not set until after I was done with my army. And he set it up FAR away ;D

For the stretching: I see no problem, and in hindsight I was right. I was never flanked or outnumbered too a point that I could not deal with it. The lucky shooting and magic screwed me over. But that would not change if my units stayed closer together.

Normally you are right, but here I had the beer in mind ;D

Quote:
What really impressed me is that master rune of challenge worked. Did he "refused" charge himself or why did he flee? Again, makes me think about my own army and a "possible switch-around for immune to psych spawnings" ^_^
I wanted that damned warlock gone. He stod on a hill with his unit arounf him, and I had no way to get too him without exposing my longbeards flank to the storm vermin. So I challenged him, knowing that he would not accept. He would only get beaten up and then allow me some inches more movement when he flees. The fact that the unit did not rally was a welcome bonus

Quote:
***Nice move on illuminating (or at least breaking once) his monks. They (especially with plague censers, "flail-rats") are HARD to beak. I would may be waited before charging them again... But then again, I don't see what else you could have done...***
I did not charge. In turn 5 all my main combat units (longbeards, hammerers and slayers) were stupid. They simply moved 3" and got into base-to-base contact.
I planned to charge when I rerouted the monks, but after loosing a fair share of slayers to his artillery my unit was pretty much depleted and I would not have charged during serious tournamental play.

But this was a scenario with over the top maneuvres in mind, so I probably had charged anyway.

Quote:
P.S. Did the assassin had warpstone throwing stars? I see they worked VERY well... Never seen them used that way.
Yes, he did. Snipper is very fond of using diverse strategies (not unlike me), and that assassin was a pain in my dwarven rump.

Quote:
Anyho, I'm (as always) glad to see a REAL dwarf player who is an extreme rarity these days ^_^ I solute the comrade I am waiting for more strategy genius fro your drunken German head ;D Good Battle Rep and good fun
Thanks, I am still waiting for some reports on how you play your lizzies. Or at least some painted models.
I am genuinly interested in heavy infantry-based lizards. I loath those "ain´t gonna catch me" all-skirmishing armies.

I was thinking to revive my own lizards btw... No saurus (other than heroes), since the models are not my favs (maybe I can get a hold of some from the 5th edition...), many "dinosaurs" (1-2 Stegadons, Teradons, cold ones, carnosaur). Would not be the most viable tournament army, but hell of a lot fun to field (or so I reckon).

Greetz, Trogdor

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2008, 02:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Thanks, I am still waiting for some reports on how you play your lizzies. Or at least some painted models.
I am genuinly interested in heavy infantry-based lizards.
Keep waiting ^_^ I lost two of my last games completely to HORRIBLE luck.

One game I failed nearly every LD check that I had to pass. While my opponent made mistake after mistake (like opening a rear of his dragon to my JSOD lord with 6 S7 attacks) I was nearly destroyed by horrible luck...

On second game Vs empire (who operantly tailored) and 30 HG + cannon & blaster I lost a unit of suarus (unit of 20(!)) to one kabbum of helblaster he shot 30 shots (then blew up) but killed ALL of but hero and one more guy. Hit did 14 wounds! when he should kill about 10 (4 to hit 3 to wound) and that would give me enough people left (5 and a hero) to make it to his line and kill all of them. I did make one wrong move here and that I should have charge the tank but I though I wasn't in range... Other than that, it was fun to run around a unit of like 25 great swords with 10 skinks and whittle it down... And no I do not "rely" on that but

I will make few reports once I actually face a combat army since so far those two were "sit back armies" that I can't stand.

Anyways I'll try to get a report soon. ^_^ But that doesn't mean you shouldn't stop reporting ^_^ BTW so far I like your list but are you gonna make changes in it?

P.S. I'm escalating to 3ks. ^_^ Just bought some more saurus ^_^.

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote