Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Waaagh Snotgob [Orc and Gobbo BatReps];
Old 25 Mar 2008, 19:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq
Default Waaagh Snotgob [Orc and Gobbo BatReps];

I've been working on my Orcs and Gobbos lately, I've recently had 2 battles and Im planning on getting more games in. My list for the first two games -

Game 1:: The High Bridge

This battle was fought on a long, narrow table, 60 long and about 30 wide. Perfect for the Dwarfs. 2 Hills deep in the Dwarf Depo Zone, 1 pile of ruins on the right centre of the table.

Night Goblin Great Shaman;
Staff of Sneaky Stealing,
Nibblas Hitty Ring,
Extra Level.
Night Goblin Shaman;
Staff of Sorcery,
Mad Cap Mushrooms,
Extra Level.
Night Goblin Shaman;
Extra Level,
Dispell Scroll.
Black Orc Big Boss;
Heavy Armour,
Shield,
Kickin Boots.
30 Orcs;
Extra Choppa,
Full Command.
20 Black Orcs;
Shields,
Full Command.
Nogs Banner of Butchery.
Orc Chariot;
Extra Crew.
30 Night Gobbos;
Full Command,
3 Fanatics.
30 Night Gobbos;
Full Command,
3 Fanatics.
5 Squig Herds;
6 Wolf Riders;
Musician.
6 Spider Riders;
Musician.

1977 Points.

Opponent - Dwarfs

King;
2+ Save - Re Roll,
4+ Ward,
Great Weapon.
Battle Standard;
Mega Banner [+1 Res to all nearby etc etc].
Slayer;
10 Thunderers;
10 Thunderers;
Organ Gun;
Cannon;
Bolt Thrower; +2 Strength, Engineer.
Bolt Thrower; +1 Strength, Engineer.
20 Warriors; Full Command.
20 Long Beards; Full Command, Magic Banner.
20 Hammerers; Full Command, Magic Banner.

The Dwarf mining outpost of Skypeak had only one entrance, over the immense chasm spanning bridge, built at the dawn of the Dwarf empire. A bridge so immense that full scale battles could be fought.

Great Shaman Snotgob was aggitated, he had crushed an Orc warband, bent its leaders to his will with his magical might, ensuring loyalty by making their black orc leader the general of his armies. Better he in the thick of the fighting than Snotgob. He had planned to meet the Dwarfs in the mountain passes, past the bridge but as usual his squabbling force had stalled, giving the stunties the chance to meet them here. A long narrow battlefield, down the sights of a dwarf gunline. His anger boiling, green energy began to crackle over his fingers....Snotgob smiled to himself, at least he had weapons of his own. Waving his staff in the air he started to cry out

'Go go now!, Stomp the stunties!'

and with a roar the tide of greenskins surged onto the bridge....

Deployment -

I had from left to right - Night Gobbos, Black Orcs, Night Gobbos, Orcs, Wolf Riders. The Chariot, squigs and Spiders behind my front line as they simply wouldnt fit. The Night Gobbos were headed right at the Hammerers [with mad cap mushrooms to smash them with Fanatics]. The Black Orcs at the Long Beards and the Squigs would head at the Dwarf Warriors when space presented itself.

On my right Flank, my Orcs and Cav were headed at the gunline, 2 Bolt Throwers were on 1 hill, Thunderers with an Organ gun up front, tight against the ruins [which i would try to skirt with my wolves but the path was blocked with the slayer] and the Cannon and second Thunderer unit on another hill.

Early Game Movement/Magic/Shooting -

My army steamed forward, I had thankfully got Foot of Gork with all 3 Shamans and proceeded to STOMP a lot of Dwarfs, before I even got near, all the Hammerers besides the Champion, Battle Standard and King were dead. Dwarf shooting cut down some of my Orcs on my right flank but the Black Orc kept them in check, cracking some heads whenever animosity rose its ugly head.

My Wolf Riders path was blocked by a Slayer, i planned to lure him out the way behind the ruins and then scoot back around the other side and past him but at the worst time possible i was hit with animosity. Before the Slayer could charge my stupid Wolf Riders though, my Great Shaman come to the rescue again, stomping the Slayer to death with Foot of Gork.

My Goblins stopped short of the Dwarf line, Fanatics hammering the regular Dwarf Warriors.

The Bolt Throwers did smash my Chariot and had my Great Shamans Gobbo unit fleeing from panic once, but they rallied soon enough.

Combat -

My Black Orcs smashed into the Longbeards, killing 5 but an annoying unit champ stepped up and chopped 2 black orcs down alone, keeping the long beards in the fight. The Long Beards eventually won out and ran the Black Orcs down.

Continued Stomping finished off all but the Dwarf lord and a few Longbeards on my left flank. They reached my Goblin unit but the Longbeards were charged in the Flank by Spider Riders. The Long beards died, leaving their king alone.

On my Right flank by big Orc unit got held up a few times but continued hacking down units, they smashed the Organ gun crew and the first unit of Thunderers, passing many panic tests from stand and shoot reactions and getting their numbers whittled, by the time they reached the bolt throwers only the Black Orc Boss remained, but he butchered the crew as my Wolves killed off the other Bolt Thrower.

The Dwarf King fled from the Gobbos and failed to rally, leaving a small isolated pocket of Dwarfs on the hill [thunderers and Cannon] at the end of the game.

Result - Massacre for the Orcs and Goblins.

I was very impressed with my armies magic, the enemy shooting phase wasn't all that troubling and I didnt even get to use my Squigs. The Stomp spell and Fanatics wiped out 2 units all on their own. The Longbeards were a huge pain though, stopping panicking in other units and beating my Black Orcs because of that pesky champion.

Snotgob continued stomping the floor, cackling in delight as the elite Dwarfs facing him were smashed into paste by his power. All was going well, his Black Orc General had kept the Orcs going, despite coming under a hail of fire, he would not be stopped. Snotgob would make him some extra special mushrooms for his efforts.

The Crazies were hammering Dwarfs left right and centre and had only killed a few Black Orcs with their huge balls and chains, a price worth paying. Things were going well, although he was a little anxious about the impatient Squigs behind him

The Black Orcs crashed into the veteran Dwarfs, hard. Great weapons unslung, the elite Orcs cleaved through the stunties thick armour as if it was paper. The old Dwarfs began to waver as a gnarled old warrior stepped forward, his beard to his ankles. In a second he had cut down two Black Orcs single handedly, he stepped back into his shieldwall and roared

'Come on boys, we arent good for nothing beardlings! we aint dead yet!'

Renewed the Longbeards drove forward, forcing the Black Orcs back using their shields, hacking the greenskins down whenever one stumbled from the dwarf press. Their momentum lost the Black Orcs had had enough, they fled.

Shrooms eyes widened with fear as the Black Orcs were run down. Veteran Dwarfs storming towards his position, he was a shaman, not a fighter!. Moments before he was about to turn tail and flee, an enormous green foot smashed down once more on the Longbeards, before dissapearing leaving crackles of energy. Shrooms could hear the giggles of his Great Shaman. The Dwarf Boss came on, Shrooms worried for a moment before realising the Leader was alone, a grin spread across his face and the Night Goblines raised their blades.

Snotgob looked on, the Dwarf Leader had taken flight, wounded and humiliated. He had ordered the pursuit halted, the grief and shame the Dwarf would be feeling would drive him insane, causing suffering for far longer than Snotgob could ever make him endure with torture. There were a few Dwarfs left an a rocky hill, making a last stand. Foolish, Snotgob thought. With a shrug he started the chant for Gork to aid him one last time in this battle, the Dwarfs would be dead before the hour was out. The mines were his.

Old 26 Mar 2008, 14:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: The Waaagh Musters [ Chronicles/Batreps of my Orcs and Goblins];

My second game was against the new Vampire Counts, this was only my third game using my Orcs and Goblins but my very first, with my old list, was against Blood Dragons a little while back. I won with a Massacre in that game so I knew that my army could deal with the Undead.

Again this game was on that stupid table [space not allowing me to use my 6x4]. So once again I would find it hard to flank my opponent, would have units fleeing through each other, etc. Although the enemy was nicely packed for my Fanatics.

I used the same list again.

My opponents list -

Vampire Lord; Extra Level, +2 Power Dice, Knows All Vamp Spells, Sword of Might, 2+ Save, 4+ Ward [with stupidity].
Vampire; Scout, Terror, M9 [probably some others].
Vampire; 2 Hand Weapons, Heavy Armour, Hand of Dust.
Vampire; 2 Hand Weapons, Heavy Armour, Book of Arkhan.
5 Blood Knights; Full Command.
5 Dire Wolves;
20 Zombies;
20 Skellies; Full Command.
20 Skellies; Full Command.
20 Graveguard; Full Command Great Weapons, Hatred.

Snotgob was furious, no sooner had he started building his fortress from the dwarf mines, his staging post for the greatest Waaagh the world would ever see, had the Undead come to take his new stronghold from him.

Fleeing a Human army, the Undead also need a place to gather their strength and with news of the Dwarfs defeat, they believed this would be easy pickings.

Snotgob had faced these monsters before, his magick was the undoing of one of their warrior kind. They held no fear for him. Across the epic bridge he could see their Vampire leader, but this time arcane energies surrounded him, power glowing behind his eyes. Snotgob frowned, this may be troubling after all.

Deployment -

From left to right I had; Night Gobbos with Mushrooms [facing off against Knights screened by Wolves], My Orc unit with Boss heading off against a Skelly unit [I wanted my boss near the centre so he could give my army a good LD boost], my Black Orcs [Heading at the Vamp Lord and Gravegaurd], my Great Shamans unitheading at the other Skellies and finally my Squigs going for some Zombies. My Chariot and Cav held back behind my line to stop enemy scouting, so the Scout Vamp was placed between the Zombie and Skelly unit.

Early Game -

I annoyingly got very few offensive spells, not one of my Shamans got Foot of Gork!. All 3 got Mork Wants Ya, which is next to useless against Vamps. All 3 also got Gork'll Fix It.

My army advanced on the enemy, Brain Bursta from my Great Shaman killing the Wolves and the Itty Ring wounding the Hand of Dust Vamp on my left flank.

The Zombies and Skellies on my right flank swapped position.

The early magic phases were pretty innefective as we cancelled each other out.

As the armies drew closer, it was tense as to who would get off the main charges...

The Main Action -

Knowing my force was just out of charge range on most enemy units, I called on my Waagh, my Black Orcs and Boss' units auto surging forward, both my Night Gobbo units did too.

My Night Gobbos on my left unleashed their Fanatics on the Knights, killing 3. Whilst a Fanatics on the right flank smashed staight into the lone terror vamp, crushing him with ease, the others smashing some zombies as dark magic had bolstered their unit to around 30 models.

Due to the Waaagh my Gobbos charged the Zombies and Blood Knights respectivly, the Orcs smashed into some Skellies and my Black Orcs hit the Graveguard.

My Spiders shot through a gap in the enemy line, getting behind the Skelly unit on my right.

My Gobbos failed to hurt the Blook Knights and many were chopped down but 1 more Knight fell to combat res.

My Gobbos on my right hacked down Zombies left right and centre in a great showing.

My Orcs fluffed most of their attacks although my Black Orc Boss did manage to take down the wounded Vamp before he could use Hand of Dust on me. The Orcs won thecombat and a few more undead crumbled.

The Black Orcs hit the Gravegaurd fairly well,killing 5 but the Vamp Lord chopped down 4 Orcs on his own, seriously reducing the amount of undead falling through combat res.

In a desperate effort to save his faltering line the Vamp Lord cast Wind of Undeath, killing many fanatics and a few from othe units. He ended up with a Spirit Host 7 wounds strong, behind my Gobbos on my left flank.

The Skellies onmy right turned to face the Spider Riders to their rear and used the Book to charge them, my Spiders fled rather than face the unit. My opponent wasnt worried about leaving his rear to my Squigs as i would be out of charge range in my turn.

My Gobbos finished off the Blood Knights due to their weight of numbers whilst my other Gobbos continued hacking down Zombies. My Orcs carried on a slow but steady demolishing of the other Skelly unit.

My Black Orcs couldnt stand before the Vampire Lord and fled before him, just avoiding being run down.

My Black Orcs rallied.

In my turn I cast Gork'll fix it on the Vamp Lords unit to limit his magic. I then managed to cast Hand of Gork on my Squigs, slamming them into the rear of the Skelly unit. My Spiders continued to flee but stayed on the table.

My Gobbos on my left turned to face the Spirit Host, not wanting to be charged in the rear, whilst my chariot blocked them in.

My Orcs continued working on the Skellies whilst the Squigs chomped down swathes of the undead on the other flank. Leaving only a few after combat res.

My other Gobbos finished off the Zombies.

The Grave Guard and Vamp Lord charged the Black Orcs again, killing more. He failed in his attempts to help replenish his unit due to Gork'll Fix It. The Black Orcs were beat and finally ran down.

The Spirit Hosts attempted to break out by charging my Chariot blocking their path but it held, leaving their rear vulnerable to my Night Goblins.

The Squigs finished off the Skellies and Vamp on my right flank, leaving just the Lord with a few Grave Guard and the Spirit Hosts.

My Gobbos charged the rear of the Hosts, killing a base with combat res for few loses.

Some Grave Guard were broght down with Brain Bursta, leaving just 3 with the Lord. The Lord was then wounded with the Itty Ring.

Final Moments -

My Gobbos finished off the Hosts, leaving my Chariot free to head at the Grave Guard who were coming back to my lines. It smashed into them, killing all but the Lord, he failed to wound the Chariot and was defeated by combat res.

The battle was won.

Result - Massacre for the Orcs and Goblins.

I was again very pleased with my army, I should perhaps stop throwing my Black Orcs at the toughest units around but thats what they would do! besides, they always seriously weaken the unit they are fighting. I rolled great for fear and animosity in this game, they never once caused any real problems for me. Gork'll Fix It, really stopped the enemy replenishing their ranks and Hnad of Gork ensured I smashed a dangerous unit with ease with my Squigs by hitting them in the rear.

What really won me the game though was my Waagh. Getting those charges off really disrupted the enemy, the Fanatic sniping the Terror Vamp also helped a lot.

As the two battlelines neared Black Orc Bigboss Gnarkill let out a defeaning Waaagh, soon echoed by the rest of the army, they as one steamed forwards, catching the enemy totally off guard.

Snotgobs own unit was unsure wether to join in or not, the horrific monster in front of him putting him off more than a little, just as he was debating with himself wether to charge or not a Fanatic smashed into the beast, breaking it's back it slumped to the ground and began dragging itself away from the battle. With that Snotgob began to scream 'Charge! charge' and his unit dove into the Zombies in front of them.

The battle was going perfectly, only his Black Orcs had ran, but it had led the Vampire Lord away from his lines. Already the Chariot and Wolves were circling his depleted unit. Snotgob was even starting to enjoy this close combat stuff, he had killed 2 zombies himself! his magick was superior to the Vampires, every time it tried to use its power he would stifle it, sucking the energy from the creature. He could see it weakening.

The Chariot rumbled towards the Vampire Lord now,picking up speed before crashing into its unit. The armoured Skellies were smashed to dust and the Vampire itself thrown like a ragdoll, up and over the back of the Chariot. With its army defeated the dark monster turned tail and fled, to the jeers of Snotgob and his boys!
Old 26 Mar 2008, 19:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arguleon-veq
Vampire; Scout, Terror, M9 [probably some others].
What is M9?

By the looks of the list your opponent was either unfamiliar with the way the new Vampire Counts played or was not making an attempt at being competitive. He only had, what, 10 power dice in 2K? That small amount of magic against your 3 Wizards means he shouldn't have been getting too much magic off. In a game against Orcs & Gobbos (and gobbos and gobbos and a few more gobbos) Undead don't fare well without a lot of magic backing them up, and even then can have a tough time of it. I played 16 Power Dice against an Orcs & Gobbos army with only a single shaman, and still didn't have the magical ability to shore up the fact that Skellies can't fight. In fact, the only unit that I think held its own that game was my Grave Guard, who essentially died 3 times over but kept being re-raised, and managed to wipe out a unit of Black Orcs, and a Giant before they were taken down themselves in the last round of the game. That unit cost me 295 points, and I don't care what they took out, the fact that they died means that they seriously disappoint me.

Just as a quick hint, Vampire Counts armies aren't supposed to lose their Grave Guard, nor their Skellies unless those are offered as bait, which I never do because I've got characters in them. Secondly, if the Vampire Counts player was playing well, he'd have gotten all the charges off on his terms, between Vanhel's Danse Macabre and speed-bump units of Zombies. The last remark I can make is that you're lucky he used Blood Knights, really. The fact that the Blood Knights he used were 335 points in total means that he could have taken an entire army if he hadn't used them. Blood Knights aren't meant for competitive gaming, that's for sure.

I don't want this to sound as negative as it does though. This is actually a lot of fun to read through. I look forward to reading the next one, I really am interested. I just really like the Undead in this game and I couldn't help being a bit frustrated when they lost, heh.

And that Gork'll fix it spell... I hope I don't have to come up against that one, ever. That's a NASTY spell, about as bad as Drain Magic.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2008, 22:09   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
What is M9?
Movement 9" --> Talisman of Lycni

Quote:
By the looks of the list your opponent was either unfamiliar with the way the new Vampire Counts played or was not making an attempt at being competitive.
I agree, he went for a more Combat style by the looks of it... I guess he was the Blood Dragon player huh? I was a BD player myself and find it hard to convert too magicheavy... I loved smashing things with Greatweapon vampires xD

Quote:
The fact that the Blood Knights he used were 335 points in total means that he could have taken an entire army if he hadn't used them.
yeah, blood knights are good, but very expensive. I'd rather fiel a Varghuld or a unit of Cairn Wraiths... they never let me down. Eathereal and great weapons, effective missle screen and nice for making a flank attack to support an army. The banshee is also really nice.

Quote:
I just really like the Undead in this game and I couldn't help being a bit frustrated when they lost, heh.
My thoughts excactly... It was a really good report, but I can't stand it if VC lose... it's a pride thingey. ;D

Overall, really good reports and pretty fun to read. You fought well and I'm looking forward to read more of these 'Chronicles'.
Dark_Wolfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2008, 07:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Lol, 10 Power Dice is a lot for 2K. My army is obviously magic heavy and I only have 10 power dice. Plus my mages cant fight.
'
Undead don't fare well without a lot of magic backing them up, and even then can have a tough time of it.
'

Huh?, I think you will find the general consesous that Undead are tailor made to Smash Orcs and Gobbos, magic or not, and magic is even less of an issue because the undead wont be losing swathes of troops from enemy shooting. Just because youve faired badly against them doesnt mean they are a hard game for Vamp Counts.

'if the Vampire Counts player was playing well, he'd have gotten all the charges off on his terms, between Vanhel's Danse Macabre and speed-bump units of Zombies.'

Thats a very silly statement to make, so you get every charge off in every one of your games?. I made sure to stop any Danse Macabre cast and he didnt have the magical superiority to raise Zombies left right and centre, especially with me killing off his Vamps. Plus not everybody is an idiot and run right into traps and lures.

Yeah, M9 is the Talisman of Lycini, not everybody will be familiar with the new Vamp Counts yet so me just saying what the equipment does will give them a better idea of what is going on.

'Just as a quick hint, Vampire Counts armies aren't supposed to lose their Grave Guard, nor their Skellies unless those are offered as bait'

No army anywhere wants to lose its units unless they are something like Skavenslaves, or Zombies.

'I agree, he went for a more Combat style by the looks of it... I guess he was the Blood Dragon player huh? I was a BD player myself and find it hard to convert too magicheavy... I loved smashing things with Greatweapon vampires xD'

Yeh he used to play Blooddragons. I dont see how this list wasnt a magic heavy list though. One of the main complaints about the new Counts is that they can get pretty cheesy with the stupid amount of magic they can now throw around. 10 Powerdice is magic heavy in anybodys book, it may not be AS magic heavy as a cheesed out Arcane Vamp list but compared to every other army in the game that is a heavy magic list.

'Overall, really good reports and pretty fun to read. You fought well and I'm looking forward to read more of these 'Chronicles'.'

Thanks, not sure who i am facing yet, maybe Lizardmen or Skaven, although Lizardmen would be hard to explain in the fluff.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 19:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arguleon-veq
Lol, 10 Power Dice is a lot for 2K. My army is obviously magic heavy and I only have 10 power dice. Plus my mages cant fight.
Understand, I run anywhere between 14 and 16 power dice in my list and I still don't feel like I have enough magic to sling around.

Quote:
'
Undead don't fare well without a lot of magic backing them up, and even then can have a tough time of it.
'

Huh?, I think you will find the general consesous that Undead are tailor made to Smash Orcs and Gobbos, magic or not, and magic is even less of an issue because the undead wont be losing swathes of troops from enemy shooting. Just because youve faired badly against them doesnt mean they are a hard game for Vamp Counts.
How so? I understand Orc leadership isn't the best, but by the simple facts that they are more numerous and are actually good at close-combat they already have two sizable advantages. Of course most armies do outnumber the undead, but Orcs especially.

Quote:
'if the Vampire Counts player was playing well, he'd have gotten all the charges off on his terms, between Vanhel's Danse Macabre and speed-bump units of Zombies.'

Thats a very silly statement to make, so you get every charge off in every one of your games?. I made sure to stop any Danse Macabre cast and he didnt have the magical superiority to raise Zombies left right and centre, especially with me killing off his Vamps. Plus not everybody is an idiot and run right into traps and lures.
I generally can either get off the charges or I can make my opponent charge into tar pit units, only to be charged by me when they brak through. Understand that, when dancing, Undead move as fast as cavalry. That's normal foot troops. One of our biggest advantages is that, although perceived as slow, our Undead are straight out of one of Romero's nightmares - we are one of the fastest armies around.

Quote:
Yeah, M9 is the Talisman of Lycini, not everybody will be familiar with the new Vamp Counts yet so me just saying what the equipment does will give them a better idea of what is going on.
I just wasn't sure what M9 was denoting. I do understand now.

Quote:
'Just as a quick hint, Vampire Counts armies aren't supposed to lose their Grave Guard, nor their Skellies unless those are offered as bait'

No army anywhere wants to lose its units unless they are something like Skavenslaves, or Zombies.
But Vampire Counts have a good reason - the fact that the Invocation of Nehek can reliably (somewhat) go off on one die per cast means that you can pretty much guarantee a few castings. Combine that with rock-hard Grave Guard and they become so hard to kill that, realistically, they should be able to hold up a small portion of an enemy army on their own without problem. I made a unit of Black Orcs run off and downed a giant with my Grave Guard, while simultaneously being pummeled by Big 'unz and a Boar Chariot. My unit would have died 3 times over if not for me continually raising more, and that's why Grave Guard shouldn't die normally.

Quote:
'I agree, he went for a more Combat style by the looks of it... I guess he was the Blood Dragon player huh? I was a BD player myself and find it hard to convert too magicheavy... I loved smashing things with Greatweapon vampires xD'

Yeh he used to play Blooddragons. I dont see how this list wasnt a magic heavy list though. One of the main complaints about the new Counts is that they can get pretty cheesy with the stupid amount of magic they can now throw around. 10 Powerdice is magic heavy in anybodys book, it may not be AS magic heavy as a cheesed out Arcane Vamp list but compared to every other army in the game that is a heavy magic list.
10 dice is not magic-heavy in a Vampire Counts army. Vamp Counts, I think, more than anyone, rely on magic to win, and so a list that isn't particularly nasty in the magic phase is just not being played competitively. As I said before, my competition list, until just recently, had 16 Power Dice and multiple bound items in 2K. That's how Vampire Counts win, not by being better in combat, not by smashing things, and not by playing a 'magic-light' list.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2008, 05:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

'How so? I understand Orc leadership isn't the best, but by the simple facts that they are more numerous and are actually good at close-combat they already have two sizable advantages. Of course most armies do outnumber the undead, but Orcs especially.'

Ld is a big issue in that match up, I think it also has a lot to do with the fact that Orcs are only really good at combat on the charge [Choppas, and striking first from charging offsetting the low initiative], after that they arent too great. With Undead, the enemy will not be broken in the first round of combat, leaving your now very average combat unit against an enemy they fear, where combats could then go either way [probably the skillies way with them replenishing their ranks for combat res].

Plus Orcs and Gobbos are just considered underpowered anyway, although I dont really agree with that to be honest. They obviously arent as powerful as Brettonians, Wood Elves and Vampire Counts, but they can hold their own.

I still don't agree that the only way to be competative with Vamps is by going super magic heavy though. I'll agree that it DOES make a very competative list, but it isn't the be all and end all for powerful Vamp lists. Just like you can get competative Empire armies that arent a gunline. Wood Elves are often only seen as competative with the annoying 'Cant Catch Me' style armies, when one of the most devestating lists ive ever seen had a HUGE unit of Eternal Guard and worked around that.

Off Topic, but I really like the rules for the new Black Coach, seems like a decent little unit to have in any army that wants a good bit of combat.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 16:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

My best mate has just got his High Elf army together, we had to play on that table again :.

I really could not come up with much on how I would really deal with his list, I couldnt get past his striking first with my list, he also had good magical defense and units to lure out my fanatics. Great,

I did swap out a Goblin Shaman for an Orc Shaman. He had Waagh Paint and a Dispell Scroll.

Game 3 :: Ambush at the Jetty.

Here is the Elf list -

14 White Lions;
Full Command,
Banner of Sorcerey.
14 White Lions;
Full Command.
19 Spearmen;
Full Command.
10 Archers;
Bolt Thrower;
Bolt Thrower;

White Lion Chariot;
White Lion Chariot;

Eagle;
Eagle;

ArchMage;
Extra Level,
Anullian Crystal,
Ring of Fury,
Dispell Scroll.
Mage;
Jewell of Dusk.
Noble;
Great Weapon.

He chose Fire Magic for both Mages.

He got-

I got-
Orc -

Snotgobs army was gathering, his force had made its way down from the mountains in order to bring the lowland Goblin Tribes under his control. His scouts had reported back that they had located an Elf ship, moored at a small unused jetty along the river they had been following. They were waiting for something.

A lone ship was easy prey for his horde, he would take their ship and whatever loot he could. With a ship at his disposal he could strike at coastal villages and settlements along the river banks. The jetty was at the point where the river was closest to the mountains, he would only have a narrow battlefield.

Captain Caradian had waited for two days for the Mages and their White Lion bodyguards, they had finally arrived, ready to return home after their studies of the Old World and the building of diplomatic relationships with its many rulers. The last of the Mages supplies were being loaded aboard as one of the Mages Great Eagle allies began to screech in alarm from its position over head. Caradian looked to one of the panicked Mages to see what the problems was

'Goblins'

replied the Mage. 'Bring down the Eagle Claws and muster for battle' roared Caradian 'We have company'.

Deployment -

From Left to Right I had - Night Gobbos with Shaman [Chariot behind], Black Orcs, Common Orcs with [With Orc Shaman and Black Orc], Squigs, Night Gobbos with Great Shaman. I had my Cav behind my main units on my right flank.

The enemy had - Bolt Thrower, 2 White Lion Chariots together lined up against my Black Orcs, the 2 units of White Lions, Spearmen, Archers then the second Bolt Thrower right on my right flank.

Early Game -

Elves got first turn and flew the Eagles right down each flank at my Night Gobbos bringing out the Fanatics, 1 Fanatic died but so did both Eagles. Shooting caused very little damage. My Army adavanced, all I managed to do was wound the Mage with my Itty Ring in my Magic Phase, I also took out his Dispell Scroll.

The Elves shooting continued to be very average. The Chariots got in position to smash my Black Orcs. My army carried on forwards, I tried all I could to take down those Chariots, I managed to case Foot of Gork on 1 then only got 1 hit on it, causing 1 wound. I angled my Chariot to smash one of his from his inevitable running down of my Black Orcs. My Fanatics hurt a few of my units.

The Chariots hammered in to my Black Orcs, brutally crushing them, my Champ struck back and missed with his 3 S6 attacks!!. One chariot ran me down whilst the other didn't get very far. Magic and Shooting did some damage to my army, Wall of Fire was cast on my normal Orcs with irresistable force.

My Spiders got the charge on the archers and the Bolt Thrower on my right, killing the crew and running the archers off. My Chariot crashed into the wounded LIon Chariot and smashed it.

My Great Shaman miscast, rolled a 3 and killed himself along with some of his unit.

I did manage to stop Wall of Fire on my Orcs though.

The remaining White Lion Chariot charged my Chariot, I fled to try and lure it away from the battle, the White Lions on my left flank charged my Gobbos, beating and breaking them, they couldnt catch them.

I was now in a bad position, I was getting hammered with magic now that mine had been seriously reduced, I had a unit of Gobbos with a Shaman as good as dead. My Fanatics also smashed my Wolf Riders, my Black Orcs were dead, my Great Shaman was dead and my Squigs reduced. All the enemy had lost was Eagles and a Chariot. I didnt even want to engage the Spears and Lions in front of me because I would just get chopped up.

The Fight Back -

My Spiders hit the Archers again, running them off and chasing them off the board [also going off themselves]. A fanatic finally hit the enemy, killing 5 Wite Lions that were after my Gobbos on my left flank. The Bolt Thrower killed my last Wolf Rider.

My Gobbos and Chariot rallied. My Orcs and Squigs both got 6 on animosity, the Squigs hit the Spears [even though I would much rather have been charged!]. the Orcs hit the White Lions. My Squigs got butchered and fled, hurting my Orcs, the Spearmen and the Whitelions. The Orcs beat the Lions but they held due to Stubborn.

The White Lions killed my rallied remnants of a Goblin unit on my left whilst the Lion Chariot ran mine off the table. The Spears charged my remaining Night Gobbo unit. The combat ended in a draw and my Spiders could charge the Spearmens rear next turn. My Orcs continued hacking down the White Lions and won the combat again, the Lions would not break. The Bolt Thrower killed 1 of my Spiders.

My Spiders having survived a hail of bolts charged the rear of the Spears, killing a few. The Gobbos held up well to the Spears attacks and also killed a few, the Elves were beaten and ran down. The Orcs carried on hacking the White Lions but they couldnt quite finish them off, they also hacked down my Black Orc Boss. there were 3 left with the Mage at the end of the game.

Result - Solid Victory [Just, 50 points above a minor] to the High Elves.

A dissapointing performance, I just didnt have space to bring numbers to play on this table, even if I did i would still have been cut down before I could attack. I had a flank charge lined up on the Spearmen as they turned to face my Squigs threatening a flank but the White Lions got in the way.

My Fanatics SMASHED my own forces, they caused me a lot of problems. My Miscast killing my Shaman was the main thing though, after that I couldnt get any spells off, the Elves could pretty much cast at will and the enemy got a lot of points for him.

I did manage to claw my way back into the game a little, but it wasn't enough. This was only the second Fantasy game I've ever lost, the first was my Dogs of War getting massacred by old Blood Dragons a few years back.

Things were not going well, the Elves had organised themselves for battle too quickly, at least the Eagles that warned them were now bloody wrecks thanks to his Crazies. Although Snotgob was a little dismayed at the damage they were now causing amongst his own ranks. The fercocious Lion Chariots had torn apart his Black Orcs, their Champion taken down with one of the Lions jaws wrapped around his neck.

He would sort this out with his magic!, gathering more and more energy to himself, feeding off the energy of his fellow greenskins, power bagun to surge through him, he sucked in more and more knowing he needed it to beat the tricksy defense of the pointy ears. Too late he realised he couldnt control it, a roiling ball of green energy appeared in front of him, violantly convulsing...Snotgob gulped hard in terror.

Caradian smirked as the ball of energy exploded, blasting the Goblin Shaman 20 foot in the air and ripping apart some of his unit. The smirk faded as he noticed the foul creature was still alive and crawling from the battlefield.

The enemy was in dissaray, the fearsome White Lions and their Chariots having crushed the enemies left flank.

A large Orc leader was trying to rally his force, it roared and slammed into the White Lions. Caradian knew that the brave Chracians would hold.

He raised his sword and charged into the cave beasts in front of him, his crew charged with him, well drilled and knowing the time was right. Spears plunged into the gaping mouths of squigs and in moments they were all but wiped out. Their momentum carried them on into the Goblins that had been injured by their own primitive magic but they were soon stalled. Shield on Shield both sides heaved and pushed against each other. He bagan to hear screams behind him, too late he had remembered the Spider Riders that had murdered his Archers, his loyal crew were falling around him. Before he could turn, two horrifying spider legs locked down over his shoulders as he felt a shooting pain in his back. He bagan to weaken, the spiders venom taking its toll. In moments he was dead.

Snotgob watched from behind the rocks he had dragged himself to, The Lion pointy ears had fought their way back to the ship whilst the remaining Bolt Thrower covered them. Their wounding of Gnarkill cutting dead any hope the Orcs had of pursuit. They and their Mages would escape, the sight of his Spiders eating the ships captain not enough to distract him from the losses his force had taken, or the agonising pain he was in.

After reading LoNC's reports, I think I will also set myself some goals. As this is a mustering Waaagh I will give myself a target of 3 wins in a row to have a 3,000 point battle. If I win that then another 3 will see an even bigger battle. Culminating in a Mega Battle after that.
Old 13 Apr 2008, 15:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well, I got another game against those High Elves. We thought it would be better at 1500 points to represent the losses in the first game.

Heres the 1500 list I used -

Night Gobbo Shaman;
Staff of Sneaky Stealin. Lvl2.
Night Gobbo Shaman;
Itty Ring,
Staff of Sorcery. Lvl2.
Black Orc Big Boss;
Heavy Armour,
Shield,
KickinBoots.
30 Night Gobbos;
FC,
3 Fanatics.
30 Night Gobbos;
FC,
3 Fanatics.
25 Orcs;
FC.
2 Choppas.
Chariot;
Rock Lobba;
Bully.
10 Arrer Boys;
5 Squig Herds;
6 Spiders;
Musician.
6 Wolves;
Musicain.

The High Elf List;

Mage;
Lvl2,
+1 Power Dice.
Mage;
Lvl2,
Choose Spells.
Noble;
Great Weapon,
Ring of Fury.
19 Spears;
FC.
14 White Lions;
FC
14 White Lions;
FC
White Lion Chariot;
Whie Lion Chariot;
Eagle;
Eagle;

Snotgob was seething. The Elves had stunted his foray into the lowgrounds. There was only one route for them to take though and he had forces and allies all along the river.

A plan began to form, sending his wolf riders out to make contact with a tribe of Orcs that had a peculiar penchant for ranged combat. The River was not wide and their Rock Lobbas had a chance of hitting the Elven ship and forcing it to land.

He was still too weak but he knew the more powerful of the two Elven mages would be weakened too. Sending his favourite apprentice and a force led by his trusted lietenants Gnarkill and Shrooms, he hoped to wreak vengance on the Elves whilst his Black Orc Bodyguard ensured his own safe return to his mountain hold at skypeak.

Adlan, captain of the white lion bodyguard could see the Archmage was in a bad way, the battle having drained him of a lot of his power. The ship was short crewed and the Eagle Claws had been abandonned during brave captain Caradians rearguard action. They had to hit land soon in order to gather supplies and for the men to rest but the riverbanks were infested with Water Kobolds.

Breaking his train of thoughts the lookout cried out in alarm, seconds before a huge boulder crashed through the deck of the ship. As the ship began taking on water his decision was made for him, they had to hit land and fight their way through the Greenskin forces.

Deployment -

Same silly table. I deployed my Gobbos and Orcs quite deep in my deployment zone, wanting the enemy to come to me with my superior firepower. Gobbos on my left flank with the Orcs inside of them and then the other Gobbos.

Further forward, at the edge of my deployment zone I had my Wolves on my left flank, Arrer Boys across the centre, then the Squigs, Chariot and Spiders on my right flank.

Facing me the Spearmen were heading up left flank. White Lions on my right and the Chariots quite central. There was an eagle on each flank.

Spells -

I got;

1,6. I was not impressed lol, but at least I got Foot!

He chose fire and picked -

Firey Blast and Wall of fire for one and rolled; Conglag and Flaming Sword for the other.

Early Game -

The Elves got fist turn and advanced cautiously. Firey Blast took out a few Squigs. The Eagles flew straight at me hoping to lure out fanatics but I expected that so my Gobbos were too far back for the 20 inch fly to bring them out.

I held my line besides each of my Fast Cav units charging an Eagle, they fled. My magic did ok, I cast Foot of Gork on a chariot but only took 2 wounds off it. This was the only turn of the game that my Guess for my Rock Lobber wasnt right in the middle of a unit, I was 2 inches short and the scatter didnt take it into anything. My Archers killed 1 Spearman as I wanted to have them lose a point of combat res.

The Elves continued a very cautious advance, magic killing a few more Squigs and 3 of the Spider Riders. They fled.

My Squigs advanced, I figured even if they got broke in combat they would wreak havoc amongst the White Lions. The Spiders rallied and the Wolves got behind the Elven Spear to march block [that was the only unit i didnt want to engage in combat]. Foot took another wound off the wounded chariot my Arrer Boys finished it off. The Rock Lobber was dead on the White Lions but scattered way off.

The Eagles flew right back at me but still not close enough to get those Fanatics out. The Spearmen spun for their Noble to try and use the Ringof Fury on the Wolves. The White Lions stayed put. Magic again killed more Squigs and a few Orcs.

Forces Engage -

My Arrer Boys charge the Eagle who flees, but not enough and the Arrer boys catch it!. They dont quite reach the Chariot behind and my Wolves fail a fear test to charge the Chariot in the rear. My Rock Lobber again is dead on but misfires and cant fire next turn. My magic stomps the White Lions and kills quite a few.

The Chariot charges the Arrer Boys who flee and are caught, this brings the Chariot in range of the right hand afanatics though and they smash it. The Eagle also moves up and is smashed by the other Fanatics. With my Squigs bearing down on his White Lions my opponent wants to wipe them out rather than break them in combat and so more magic is put on them, thinning the unit even more but not wiping them out.

The Squigs get the charge and with a wide frontage and only losing a few to the axes of the White Lions, proceed to eat most of the unit. The White Lions flee but arent caught.

The Fanatics, coupled with animosity hammer my lines., my night gobbos moce due to animosity and finishon a fanatic, the Orcs are also hit with a Fanatic and the Big Boss kills a few because of a failed animosity.

The White Lions rally and magic doesnt achieve much, the Spearman keep spinning to get the ring on the Wolves but I keep dispelling it.

The Rock Lobber is again dead on but scatters. The Squigs charge again, finish off the White Lions leaving only the mage who flees and is caught.

My Gobbos finish a waagh animosity on another fanatic [damn it!] not enough to cause panic though. My Orcs and Chariot position themselves to try and charge the other White Lion squad in the last turn. Foot squahes some of them.

The White Lions move back as far as they can for the elves.

In my final turn both my charges are short by an inch!, my rock lobber misses. I need to kill 2 more to bring them under half strength, I get foot off, get 2 hits.....then roll a double 1 to wound!.

Result - Massacre for Orcs and Gobbos!.

I was impressed with how the army worked at this points value. Animosity and a fanatics kept letting me down and killed a lot of Gobbos [thankfully not enough to take them under half strength], my Orcs failed animosity over and over, lucky my big boss had a bad day and couldnt seem to hurt his own boys.

I was dissapointed that the enemy didnt come at me, i figured my shooting and magic would make him do that but my Rock Lobber kept scattering off.

The Squigs were awesome, I didnt even care of they got broke as they would still cause damage. I figured they could beat the White Lions though and once they got into combat they did.

All I lost was half a Squig unit and my Arrer Boys.

All in all a good result and nice to get revenge for the loss.

The Elves hit the bank and within minutes were arrayed and ready for battle, most of the Orc and Goblin force were tired from their long march and so they would let the Elves come to them.

Shrooms giggled as his crazies, powered by his own 'special brew', crippled the magnificent war lions and smashed the chariot to tinder. The Eagles had been delt with by the impessive arrer boys, one boy taking the creature out of the air with a mighty leap, dragging it to the ground were it was hacked to death by the boys. They would eat well tonight.

Adlan choked back a gasp as he watched his warlions crippled and murdered by the greenskin fanatics. The Wolves were harrying their flank and the enemy artillery bombardment getting closer and closer. The weakened Archmage was also loosing his battle of wills with the enemy shamans.

He knew they were doomed but they would make the enemy pay for it. The Cave Beasts were bearing down on them, as they hit, his line stepped forward, as one bringing their Axes down on the gruesome little beasts. His eyes widened as many axes were simply lost in the gaping mouths of their enemy, axe shafts bitten in two. The beasts grinned,then begun the same treatment on his brave men. Even mighty chracians couldnt stand before such an assault and his White Lions broke around him, the mage was dragged down and devoured in seconds, he had failed in his duty, his soldiers, his people, were dead or dying.

Adlan dropped to his knees, laid his axe before him, and waited for the inevitable.
Old 13 May 2008, 13:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Waaagh Snotgob [Orc and Gobbo BatReps];

Ok, a bit of a cheat here. Not a Waaagh Snotgob Batrep, but I thought i'd pop it here anyway. You'll have to excuse my Empire list, it was all the Empire models I actually own [hence the super expensive lord to fill points] but I wanted to try them out. I'd had 2 very small games with my Empire in the past against Wood Elves and narrowly won both, so i wanted a bigger game with them. I got all the Cannons cheap on Ebay, as I wouldnt normally run a gunline.Currently in the process of getting a Crusader army.

Empire List -

Thyrus Gorman [Rules on the GW Website]; [With Halberds]
Barded Steed.
Wizard; [With Halberds]
Lvl2,
Speculum,
Sword of Might.
[Beast Magic]
Warrior Priest; [With Spears]
H.Armour,
Great Weapon.
Captain;
Full Plate,
Lance,
Casket of Sorcery,
Pegasus.

19 Spears;
Shields,
FC.
- Detatchment; 8 Halberds
- Detatchment; 6 Handgunners [Estalians]

19 Halberds;
Shields,
FC.
- Detatchment; 8 Free Company

10 Handgunners;
4 Cannons;
2 Hellblasters;

2000 Points

The High Elves are the same as I last I faced at 2,000 points [the loss with my Gobbos]. This time the Noble has the Talisman of Loec though. The Mages chose Fire and Metal.

Snotgob looked on from the steep sided cliffs lining the edges of the battlefield. In the deep vally, two armies stood ready for battle. He stiffled a giggle. The Elves had launched an expedition to avenge their fallen brothers and slay him. The Emporer Karl Franz had allowed them passage through his lands and as a sign of friendship sent his own host to aid them, an artillery train led by one of his greatest battle wizards and former supreme patriarch Thyrus Gorman. A mage the best choice to strengthen the bonds with the magically attuned Elves.

Snotgob could not hope to stand against the combined army and his force had fallen back, although he had not risen to his position of power without cunning. Sending out his sneakiest gits, he had set them the task of stealing one of the powerful magic rings belonging to the Elven Mages and to plant it in the tent of Gorman. The Elves would detect it, their mages easily powerful enough to locate it. Locate it they had and a war of words had ensued between Gorman and the Elven Mages, the haughty Elves had accused the Humans of greed and deception, despite Gormans protests to the contrary and the accounts of the Empire sentries of spotting Goblins fleeing the camp. The Elves would have none of it, believing the Humans would do anything to steal a measure of their power.

Gorman, a fiery, forceful man was incensed with rage. Screaming of their arrogance and blindness had only made matters worse. Tensions rose within the camps and their fate was sealed when an Elven sentry shot down an Empire sentry who he had deemed too close to their encampent. Now they stood arrayed against one another, ready for battle.

Snotgob got comfy.

Deployment -

On my left flank was a Cannon deep in my depo zone, further forward stood my Spears with Detatchments and a Hellblaster. Facing off against the Chariots and Archers and 1 Eagle.

Centrally I had 2 more Cannons flanking my other Hellblaster, facing the White Lions.

On my right stood my Halberds with Wizards, a Cannon deep in my corner and my Handguns out front. Facing the enemy Bolt Throwers and Spearmen, plus the other Eagle.

There were no hills in the depo zones and terrain played no real part in the battle.

Early Game;

I got first turn and managed to burn down the crew of a Bolt Thrower and cast Wall of Fire on the Spears [killing a few]. 2 Cannons misfired [one not being able to shoot for next turn either, the other just failing this turn], one hit a Chariot dead on and I rolled a 1 to wound! the other rolled a 2 for the range and a 2 on the bounce and so fell short!!!.

The enemy advanced, besides the Spears. Shooting killed 2 Handgunners. Magic was nullified besides Commandment of Brass on 1 Hellblaster.

My Captain Charged an Eagle who fled and he also stole the Archmages Fireball. My Cannons again failed with misfires and bounces, 1 did hit a Chariot dead on though and killed it. My Hellblaster that could fire, killed a few White Lions [they passed a lot of 6+ saves].

My Handgunners shot down the other Eagle. Gorman miscast but didnt hurt himself, he did end my Wall of Fire though because of it.

The Elves came onwards [Eagle Rallied], the Chariot on my left flank coming out from behid the bowmen who had to form up into 2 ranks to get out of its way. The Spears now moved. Burning Head caused 1 wound on my Halberds with Lord and sent them panicing!, the Bolt Thrower killed 2 more Handguns. The lower mage miscast and died though, taking some White Lions with him.

The Armies Engage;

My Captain charged the Archers, my Halberds rallied [thankfully!]. My Magic did very little, maybe killing a couple of White Lions but my lower Wizard miscast, ending the phase.

My Hellblaster shot down some White Lions in front of it, my cannons mostly misfired again although 1 killed some Spearmen. The other Hellblaster shot the remaining Lion Chariot to shreds.

The Captain killed 3 Archers although the Pegasus lost a wound, he ran them down and ran straight into the Eagle behind them.

The White Lions furthest on my left flank charged my 6 man Handgun detatchment, the others charged my Hellblaster. They killed the crew and ran into a Cannon. The Lions against my Handguns killed 5, the last men fled but was not caught. My Captain wounded the Eagle twice but it took my Pegasus down to its last wound.

I moved my Halberds back up, my Hellblaster turned and shot the White Lions [only about 5 left] with the Archmage who was now behind my lines after killing the Handgunners [the last man fleeing off the table]. Killing them all after my Cannon [deep in my lines] failed with its Grapeshot, misfiring.

My Beast Wizard cast Bears Anger on himself. The other White Lions butchered my Cannon crew.

The remaining White Lion unit [now only about 5 models strong] turned to face my last cannon. my Handgunners killing them all and overrunninginto my Halberds.

My Cannon Grapeshotted the White Lions about to charge it, I got a 2 on the strength and it failed to wound. Wall of Fire killed a few though. The Spearmen charged my Halberds and got some Free Company in the flank. Gorman accepted the Nobles challenge. 3 Attacks and I have a Ward Save and 3 wound, I thought id survive and crush him with my Flaming Sword. 3 Wounds, 2 saved, then I had to re-roll because of that cursed Talisman and he died!!. The Spearmen killed some Halberds but lost some of their own, I won combat by 3 but they held.

Endgame;

The White Lions charged the Cannon, losinga few more to Wall of Fire but killing the crew.

The Noble then cut down my Bears Anger mage!!, Damn him!. ButI won combat again, this time breaking and catching them.

The Bolt Thrower Sniped my Captain of Pegasus.

I finished the Bolt Thrower with a Cannon shot and shot down the last White Lion [only surviver] with the Hellblaster.

Empire win by 700 VP's

Solid Victory to the Empire.

A Solid Victory but it would have been a massacre if that Noble hadnt owned my Wizards, he got his army nearly 700 points alone. That was annoying. I was impressed by my magic, it dominated the Elf magic and caused lots of damage. My units held up fine once the enemy reached me and my Hellblasters were reliable, making up for how rediculous my Cannons were with misfires. The Captain did a decent job and my magic defense was solid.
I will have to remember how lethal the Talisman of Loec is in future games, I didnt realise it made ME re-roll passed saves!.

Snotgob was getting restless, the Empire force had beaten the High Elves, wiping them out at great cost. Gormans horse had been cut from under him, the mighty gelding trapping his unconscious body, the other Wizard had also been cut down by the Chracian Nobles mighty axe. The Empire force although victorious, was in dissaray, only the Priests fiery rhetoric holding the weary men together. With a wicked grin Snotgob signalled the attack, his Night Goblins surged forth from hidden tunnels and swarmed the wounded and weary humans, cutting them down with ease as night begun to set. The Priest fought his way to Gorman and dragged him from the field of battle but Snotgobs holdings were safe for a time at least.