Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Assasinated! Or, how to keep an army from crumbling.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 10:13   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Assasinated! Or, how to keep an army from crumbling.

Played around 5 games now with my new vampires, and in everyone my Vampire General has been assasinated (can't knock it, its a good tactic which all my opponents use now)

When he was on horse, unsupported, he got the suicide goblin, and 6 fanatics to the face.
When on foot, he got the damn 6's become 1's spell on him, and Instagib'd.
Then last night, his unit got charged by Elf Prince on Super Dragon (which ever one that is) and killed.

Now, I know they aren't the lords of old, but seriously, he seems to be dropping so bloody easy, which with a usual turn two charge from the assasin, can pretty much end the game.

Its getting to the point where I am considering splashing out on a counts as Mannfred lord, as he still has the survivability of the old vamps.

So, as one bloodsucker to another, any ideas on how I can keep him safe from assassination attempts? He currently runs with a 4+ armour, 5+ Ward, (and I know my rolling is crap anyway) and he still drops like flies. Any ideas, or magic item combos to try and give him more of a chance? Every game near enough I get some character charge into his unit in turn 2/3, allocate all attacks to him, and kill him. Whats a guy to do to stay undead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2008, 14:45   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Assasinated! Or, how to keep an army from crumbling.

Well... you can either counter assassin hero's by being one yourself. The Forstblade grants an instantkill on the victim, but it pricey. Or you can just go berserk on his ass with Red fury, 2 hand weapons and Infinite Hatred (possibly also a beguile if you just want your Character to live and kill and do nothing else, but this will cripple your magic).

Effective items:
Gem of Blood - rebounce a wound.
Carstein Ring - Died the first time? Come back the second. This will keep him going for another few turns atleast.
Flayed Hauberk + Crown of the Damned - 2+ armour save and 4+ ward? Ok... he's a dumb dude, but with a LD of 10 that shouldnt be too much of a problem.
You can also just load him with magic and don't do anything else and just tag along your army just behind the front. It can give support, but is out of the way of most enemy arms!

Different approach: mount him on a hellsteed, which gives him flying. He can flee! Or the talisman of Lycni. 9" movement will outrun most calvalry.

For just mere vampires, I suggest a less potent version of the above options.
Dark_Wolfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2008, 15:58   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I have not yet purchased the Army Book (didn't get around to going Warrington this weekend...), but I'd assume my old tactic of "30 Grave Guard Speed Bump" still works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2008, 16:12   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yeah, but with fanatics and heroes directing all damage to the vampire he gets killed before the gaurd sets in motion and destroys the enemy. And I would rather lose 6 fanatics than my Vampire general, mind you ;D
Old 18 Mar 2008, 16:28   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
I have not yet purchased the Army Book (didn't get around to going Warrington this weekend...), but I'd assume my old tactic of "30 Grave Guard Speed Bump" still works.
You'd think, but the enemy assasin units, usually mounted on monsters like dragons charge in and direct all attacks against the vamp. I have been told, however, that you can mitigate this by challenging - we have always played that the enemy character attacks the challenge, leaving the monster mount free to eat the vamp, which I have been told is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2008, 16:59   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Allow me to quote from the rulebook:

"Sometimes a single character, possilbly mounted on a huge monster or chariot, will attack a unit of troops. If the single character finds himself challanged, he cannot refuse as he has no formation to hide behind
if a character is riding a steed or monster, the mount fights in the challange as well as its rider"

So both the mount and the rider are forced to be in a challange if the dragon-riding lord is alone. If not and he refuses, he must hide and cannot fight the challenger.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 19:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Anything that gives my Lord flying (usually his Dragon - not because the Dragon is really any good, but because I spent HOURS converting the High Elf Dragon to make is undead and awesome, and mount a Necrarch Vampire...) is in if I want him to live. Either that, or walk him behind your lines, and try to get a nice first-turn summon to disrupt shooting (March, then Danse Macabre, then Raise Dead right in front of the enemy's guns - hill or no hill, they can't see past the Zombies).

I find that, with proper application of summoning spells, I only ever get charged on my terms. There are the odd exceptions every couple of games, but overall Magic ends up being your best defense - nothing beats ablative wounds!

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2008, 19:52   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

lol... another one to stop being assassinated:

Mount your lord on an Abbyssal Terror or Zombie Dragon and give him the Dreadlance. 4 Autohit Strenght 7 attacks? Only a ward can save that douche! And even iff you fail, the Terror or Dragon can make up for it
Old 18 Mar 2008, 19:54   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

How about playing like a Skaven? Stick your HQ behind a Grave Guard unit, stick a Battle Standard in said unit, and laugh manically. Keep your force in a tight Phalanx, and nothing will be able to get to you, or stop you jumping up and down screaming Danse Macabre! Nehek! Nehek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2008, 20:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
You'd think, but the enemy assasin units, usually mounted on monsters like dragons charge in and direct all attacks against the vamp. I have been told, however, that you can mitigate this by challenging - we have always played that the enemy character attacks the challenge, leaving the monster mount free to eat the vamp, which I have been told is wrong.
If he charges a single model in alone and you think your general is in jeopardy, you can always chuck your unit champ at him. Poor Mr. Skellie with the funny hat gets hacked to bits and you either out combat resolution him, or tar pit him. Should you want to dispose of him next round your vamp's Initiative could easily be higher than the would-be assassin's so you may be able to chop him down before he can attack. Either that or just conjure up a lil help.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote