Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Araby in Warhammer? What army to use?
Old 15 Mar 2008, 21:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Araby in Warhammer? What army to use?

Hello. As a break from plotting a supertech army, I'm potentially interested in fielding an Araby-themed army. I believe they are underrepresented in the Warhammer universe, especially in light of the invasion of Estalia.

My question is which army should I use to represent them? At the moment, it's a tossup between Hordes of Chaos, or Empire. For Hordes of Chaos, the plan was to use large numbers of Marauders to represent rank-and-file footsoldiers, supported with Axe-Marauder Cavalry (mamaluks) and Screamers of Tzeentch (Magic Carpet Infantry). The leader would be a Chaos Lord of Tzeentch mounted either on a magic Carpet Screamer, or a Djinn (Chaos Dragon). The rare choices would perhaps be Halfling Hotpots (representing Naptha throwers)

The other idea was Empire. Large blocks of Swordsmen supported by Archer detachments represent units of Saracen infantry with desert-archer detachments, with pistoliers representing light mamaluk support. A pegasus-mounted wizard is a Desert Sorcerer on Magic Carpet.

Suggestions?
Old 17 Mar 2008, 03:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Araby in Warhammer? What army to use?

Hmm, you may want to check lexicanum.com.

No Pity No Remorse No Fear
[hr]
"All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Edgar Allen Poe
[hr]
[quote=Earring (Busy Destroying the World)]
Don't worry too much...remember...females can smell fear
Malchior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2008, 03:23   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

As odd as it might sound, I might use Wood Elves for this, and work out house rules replacing "forest" with a more appropriate type of terrain. For a "counts-as" army, it gives you a good range of cavalry, archers, and lightly-armored swordsmen. You can use Warhawks for the carpets, and a War Eagle for a Lord on a carpet. The big advantage is that the army list contains a lot of skirmishers, and so might be more appropriate than the heavily-armored chaos list or the rank-and-file Empire list.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2008, 02:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Except Araby isn't rank-and-file skirmishers according to lexicanum. http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Arabian_Army_List

According to them there's a mix of rank-and-file infantry, elite Scimitar Warriors, light and heavy cavalry, camel-mounted jezzails (which I have NO way save perhaps Outriders of representing properly), war elephants (I dunno...Steam Tank with cannon Howdah?), Genies, and Magic Carpets (pegasus perhaps).

Or I could ignore Djinn and say the sorcerers are particulary potent. Instead of Empire Captains, have Sheiks, and Sorcerers and other grand units (and Warrior Priests with scimitars).
Old 07 Apr 2008, 05:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Why not Bretonians?
Old 07 Apr 2008, 14:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeH
Why not Bretonians?
Several reasons why I wouldn't use Bretonnians include:

No good rank-and-file infantry/elite spearmen.
No good "monster-style" units for causing terror and whatnot.
Their ranged units suck in general.
Old 07 Apr 2008, 19:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yes, but crusaders and crusadees are actually very similar to each other, atleast in medieval europe/middle east.
Old 07 Apr 2008, 20:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Yes, but crusaders and crusadees are actually very similar to each other, atleast in medieval europe/middle east.
I'm going for a pretty cut-and-dry araby themed force, without a number of insane Jihadi-type units...
Old 09 Apr 2008, 09:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Quote:

What? No they weren't.

A typical crusader force was centred around a small number of knights. And most pitched battles has shown that in a straight out fight, the Saracen armies had nothing that could even remotely match the quality of these knights, whether mounted or on foot.

The Saracens didn't really have many heavy cavalry or heavy infantry. Just like most eastern armies of any type, Saracen, Persian, Mongols, or Chinese, do not.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2008, 11:42   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I've seen military training manuals for the time periods in question. It's all about insane leet archery skills, and ponies. Lots of fast ponies. They got even leeter and faster when the Mongols arrived later. Armour was light because it's ungodly death to wear metal in North Africa and because an archer can still throw an arrow through you while you are wearing it - just ask those who faced the English longbowmen.

The knightly orders did get their notion of chivalric combat upped a few notches from the futuwwa, or semi-religious "brothers" who traveled in packs, but that's a different issue and irrelevant.

Erh... and there weren't "jihadis". What, maybe they were running into medieval malls and then arrows shot out of them in all directions or something? Oy. No such crazyness, it's a modern invention (thank colonialism...).