Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

40k v Fantasy
Closed Thread
Old 05 Mar 2008, 23:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to copperdusk
Default 40k v Fantasy

Ok I'm planning on starting a 40k in the next few months. Some of my friends are trying to persued me to start fantasy instead. I think they look equally cool but I only have the cash to start one. So I want to know the ups and downs of both games (i.e. all pieces are made of this or the rules are just broken) and maybe tips on what a good starting army is.

P.S. Mods I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal Ferret
chat is pretty much a run-on penis joke
Old 06 Mar 2008, 00:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq
Default Re: 40k v Fantasy

I think Fantasy is by far the more balanced game. There are less loopholes to be exploited in the rules, no army is vastly more powerful than the rest etc.

I think it is the most difficult of the two to pic up though, I think there is more depth to it.

Also, I think skill plays a lot more of a role in Fantasy than 40K. You will VERY RARELY see a bad player beat a good one at Fantasy no matter the lists they have taken. Time and time again you will see a bad player beat a good one, simply because they have taken a powerful list. I think 40K pretty much comes down to list building and target selection.
Old 06 Mar 2008, 00:09   #3 (permalink)
lonely tau

How many friends do you have that play Fantasy frequently? How concerned are you with the ability to convert every model you are getting? Do you prefer to paint lots of models or a few models?

Finally, take into consideration, 40k is about Tactics, Fantasy is about Strategy.

Old 06 Mar 2008, 00:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Grunt90 Send a message via MSN to Grunt90 Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt90

I would say fantasy is better IMO because of the depth you can get into it, the armies are all roughly on the same level, and more rules means more funthings todo! Like flanks, rear attacks, having high ground, the press of numbers, all of thosethings shinethrough more in fantasy than they do in 40k. BUt also you should see the player base inyour area.

"Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong, Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods!"

Beastlord Gorthor

Survivor of the 06' Battle Royale!
Old 06 Mar 2008, 00:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ok mostly its a matter of taste. But I play(ed) both (now MOSTLY fantasy) I will tell you this ->

Thats IMO everyone, keep screams to yourself-------------------------->

40k has (in theory only) a good objective system. If you play without VPs (like my ALL time favorite Rules of Engagement http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhamm...-engagement/1/ ) You can have a good and challenging tactical game. 40k is also lot faster then fantasy since 40k essentially has 3 phases (after set up & deployment) (move shoot charge-fight) and Fantasy has 5 (Charge Move Magic Shoot Combat).

Fantasy has EXTREMELY well balanced VP system (not so much lately with new HE and VC's but it'll come around). There are loop wholes but they are far from a 40k's "Hulk Smash" approach. One or two moves can turn a game from a winner into a draw or worse. However Fantasy has poor objective system, I mean very poor. Then again, there are few scenarios/objectives that are pretty playable.

Thats IMO everyone, keep screams to yourself-------------------------->

It comes down to three things -> Money (depends on race/set up you want), Style (You like robots or Knights? ;D) and approach (Optimist (40k) Vs Pragmatic (Fantasy)).

Browse around forums, ask some people, read some stuff and pick something that YOU like. Also ask your friends for rule books to read (read both) and play may be 1-2 small games. ^_^ (Combat patrol for 40k, and regular 500point battle for Fantasy)

Hope I helped ^_^

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Old 06 Mar 2008, 00:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
How many friends do you have that play Fantasy frequently? How concerned are you with the ability to convert every model you are getting? Do you prefer to paint lots of models or a few models?
Really its about equal but fantasy is on the rise. Converting = fun. As for painting I fall some where in the middle.

Quote:
Finally, take into consideration, 40k is about Tactics, Fantasy is about Strategy.
There is a difference??

Quote:
Old 06 Mar 2008, 00:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

[quote=copperdusk]
Quote:
Quote:
There is a difference??
Yes. The difference is this - in 40K, you kind of play on impulse, you react to your opponent or force your opponent to react to you. In Fantasy you practically need to play out the whole battle in your head even before deployment. If you do this and your opponent doesn't, then you've got a huge advantage in knowing what your opponent is likely going to do.

If you don't like to think, or if thinking too much gives you a headache, then you ought to be playing 40K. That's not an insult to 40K players, I personally love 40K and I find that I am much better at 40K than Fantasy, although I'm about even percentage-wise for wins, Fantasy games are much closer. I'm hoping to break the habit of playing Fantasy as though it were 40K soon, I need to put more thought into my games.

Yeah, anyway. Another thing is preference. I know it's been said, but there's more than just Knights and Robots to decide between. Do you like hiding behind walls and only coming out to blow holes in your opponent? Or do you like massive armies clashing in an open field? Obviously you can do either in each game, such as Dwarfs and their shooting or World Eaters and their close-combat ability, but for the most part Fantasy games are won and lost by combat, and 40K is sit-and-shoot.

Just things to think about.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Old 06 Mar 2008, 01:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Grunt90 Send a message via MSN to Grunt90 Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt90

tactics is on a squad based level, like " squad y go take objective 3"

strategy is more of an over all battle field " eagle eye" kind of mind set. Like taking the whole battle field into consideration when doingmoves, not just little areas of it.

"Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong, Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods!"

Beastlord Gorthor

Survivor of the 06' Battle Royale!
Old 06 Mar 2008, 05:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ok I'm kinda leaning towards dwarfs now. I was wondering if someone could give me a brief run down of the different army's from a players perspective.

Quote:
Old 06 Mar 2008, 06:32   #10 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Shooting: Better than melee since 1892. I only know anot WH40K so I can't tell you :P
Closed Thread