Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Random Fantasy Questions:
Old 25 Feb 2008, 18:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Random Fantasy Questions:

I had several questions because I'm relatively new to Fantasy:

Is it possible for an unmounted hero character in an army to be directly attached to a Chariot-equivalent? That is, could one place a Skaven Engineer inside a Doomwheel for instance? Or can a character only do this if they specifically can take a Chariot as a mount choice (e.g. a Chaos hero on a Chariot)?

In 40k, I have an Imperial Guard army. At the moment, I'm trying to literally convert them to fantasy statwise. The army in particular is vehicle-heavy (and thus will probably be represented as chariot-heavy), and I'm wondering what kind of army would be right for me. At the moment, I'm feeling divided between Hordes of Chaos, or Skaven...while the Chaos army has a lot of units that would be easy to convert from 40k (e.g Arco-flagellants become Chaos Spawn, etc), the general lack of ranged firepower worries me. Skaven on the other hand, doesn't fit overall as well, although the mass proliferation of slings and other superweapons tends to be pretty handy...or should I try Empire if I'm going for a general Guard approach?
Old 25 Feb 2008, 21:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Random Fantasy Questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicJuggler

Is it possible for an unmounted hero character in an army to be directly attached to a Chariot-equivalent? That is, could one place a Skaven Engineer inside a Doomwheel for instance? Or can a character only do this if they specifically can take a Chariot as a mount choice (e.g. a Chaos hero on a Chariot)?

In 40k, I have an Imperial Guard army. At the moment, I'm trying to literally convert them to fantasy statwise. The army in particular is vehicle-heavy (and thus will probably be represented as chariot-heavy), and I'm wondering what kind of army would be right for me. At the moment, I'm feeling divided between Hordes of Chaos, or Skaven...while the Chaos army has a lot of units that would be easy to convert from 40k (e.g Arco-flagellants become Chaos Spawn, etc), the general lack of ranged firepower worries me. Skaven on the other hand, doesn't fit overall as well, although the mass proliferation of slings and other superweapons tends to be pretty handy...or should I try Empire if I'm going for a general Guard approach?
Ok, first: there is no such thing as a skaven doomwheel anymore. You are about 2 editions too late budy

Now to the more serious answers: No, a character cannot just hop onto any chariot or pther vehicle he wants. It has to be clearly listed in his options.

So, do I get that right? You want to field imperiual gurad as a fantasy army?
Sorry, but that idea is just horrible. Where is the fantasy in that?
But yes, the empire would be the best choice, if you really insist on this "transition".

But please, donīt. I doubt anyone would play you anyways. "Count as"-armies do have their limits...

Greetz, Trogdor

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2008, 21:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicJuggler

Ok, first: there is no such thing as a skaven doomwheel anymore. You are about 2 editions too late budy

Now to the more serious answers: No, a character cannot just hop onto any chariot or pther vehicle he wants. It has to be clearly listed in his options.

So, do I get that right? You want to field imperiual gurad as a fantasy army?
Sorry, but that idea is just horrible. Where is the fantasy in that?
But yes, the empire would be the best choice, if you really insist on this "transition".

But please, donīt. I doubt anyone would play you anyways. "Count as"-armies do have their limits...

Greetz, Trogdor
On the Games workshop website, they re-released the rules for Doomwheels apparently to sate those that still had them...unless Skaven has undergone its 7th-edition armybook yet. That said, thanks for giving me the answer.

Yes, I actually do want to field an Imperial Guard army in Fantasy. The thing is originally I was using Empire Militia armed with Lasguns and other stuff, the premise being that they were from the late Renaissance world of Vespucci Prime (named for Amerigo Vespucci) before they started developing blackpowder, and Enlightenment ideals about Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness...then they revolted because due to pressures regarding the Eye of Terror, the planetary governor increased the tax on tea. A brief revolutionary war ended in Vespucci being declared independent from the Imperium in a treaty partially helped by a blockade of the Planetary Governor's space-station by intervening French...err Tau. As of now, the Tau have invested some in industries on the planet, and they've been able to start producing vehicles on a larger scale now.

That said, thanks for clearing up the character question.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 23:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Your questions have been answered, I dont see how that fluff places them in the Fantasy World though, or how it justifies them fighting Dwarfs, Lizardmen, Dark Elves etc etc.

The Doomwheel is on the website, but i think you need opponents consent to use it and it wouldnt be tourny legal.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 20:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I've got the fluff, and can back it up with Empire...

"First Experimental Brigade of Steam-motorized Cylical Conveyance"

Nuln was always known for being on the cutting edge of technology, its artillery school always coming up with crazy new devices...then one day, a few students started experimenting with Miragliano's steamtank, looking for a way to make a more efficient engine. With the help of a few Metal Wizards, they came up with small rocket engines (similar to those used in the Hellstorm) which could propel a small wheeled vehicle foward. This was a potentially revolutionary discovery, war engines produced in such large quantities capable of being used to make highly mobile forces.

A few months later, the First Experimental Brigade was christened. Supported by a Steam tank as well as supporting Outrider teams, several of these "motorcycle" units (Empire Knights) would be used as a form of shock cavalry, several Metal Wizards in tow to analyze how the unit fared. (thinking of adding a War Altar and proxying that as an experimental Magitank as well).
Old 28 Feb 2008, 20:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

If it looks really steampunk and you have square bases I'd play you. If not, I wouldn't. It's Fantasy, not 40k.

The Empire don't have any chariots anyway.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2008, 21:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Censational Che Circus Cegorach
If it looks really steampunk and you have square bases I'd play you. If not, I wouldn't. It's Fantasy, not 40k.

The Empire don't have any chariots anyway.
Steam Tanks and the War Altar are both Chariots in the new codex...it's a shame they removed the War Wagon...oh well, nothing's perfect.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 21:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

That's a really bizarre setup... I guess it must be simplification of the Steam Tank's rules.

So, will it be properly steampunk? Will it have square bases?
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 21:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I actually have some square-based Cavalry from Old Glory miniatures that my original intent was to use for DBM, but they can be converted to outriders easily enough.

The Steam Tank didn't really use bases either way so in that regards it would be a bit iffy. For the War Altar, I'd probably instead have it drawn by a square-based motorcycle unit.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 21:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

What about your footsloggers?

You may call me Circus.