Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting my Empire Army!
Old 17 Feb 2008, 22:41   #1 (permalink)
lonely tau

Default Starting my Empire Army!

So... I've almost finished with my Vampire Count army, and as soon as I can get about 20 of the new Grave Guard and paint everything, I'll be pretty much good to go with them and they'll become my side army. However, until then I've decided to start on my second army, which I decided would be Empire. I decided upon Empire because my friend, whom is a very poor tactician (I know, I've been playing Wargames with him for a little under a decade) wanted to start Empire also, and I'd decided I would help him out. Then as I was reading my book during school one day, I found the perfect inspiration for my army!

Instead of doing a normal old Empire army with all of the civil warring and politics, I was going to do a very unique army, from and idea of H.P. Lovecraft. So I present to you, a little bit of fluff for the Dream Province of Celephais,

The gleaming city in the distance, Celephais inhabits the Dreamworld in approximation to an area of the Empire, and is a mirror of the best of the world. With it's luscious fields, golden seacoasts and snowy mountains there is not a single person in the whole of the world, Dreamer or not, who wouldn't wish to be a member of the Dream Province of Celephais. Those few dreamers who have made their way to Celephais are given a sense of nationalism above all others, and so are some of the most stubborn fighters in the land of Dreams, and have sworn to fight those who would dare try and take their dreamland from them.

So essentially the army is a bunch of people who Dream of Celephais as a safe haven and are willing to die to defend it. I'm thinking about representing the Dreamers as Warrior Priests, as they have a high leadership and are Stubborn, along with having the Prayers of Sigmar which I can just say are them dreaming themselves more powerful.

The native fighters will be the State Troops, but the biggest problem I have all around is that I don't know which units I should make Parent Units (Swordsmen do look good because of their staying power), Detachments I'll probably make Halberdiers because of the +1 strength and the flank bonus along with getting rid of the enemy Shield+Hand weapon save, subtracting 1 from their normal armour save.

So here's my try at a 1000 point army, attempting to keep in theme meaning.

Warrior Priest- 102
2nd Warhammer, Heavy Armour, Sigil of Sigmar

Captain-64
Pistol, Full Plate Armour

20 Swordsmen-245
Full Command, 2X10 Halberdier Detachment (100)

20 Swordsmen-245
Full Command, 2X10 Halberdier Detachment (100)

16 Handgunners-256
2X 8 Crossbow Detachments (128)

5 Pistoliers-90

Total: 1,002 points

Total Models:119

I feel like I just started Imperial Guard or something :P
Old 17 Feb 2008, 23:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Starting my Empire Army!

Excellent, a fellow member of the children of sigmar!
Your list is fine, you don't spam things like cannons as I've sometimes seen, and you know the awesomeness of swordsmen, I think you're fine!
Shas O Mont-ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2008, 00:12   #3 (permalink)
lonely tau

The only thing I really want to add to my army is a couple of Mortars, Pistoliers and then maybe some Great Swords. But we'll look into that when I manage to build up my army to the list I just made :P
Old 18 Feb 2008, 01:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hehe... So LT leaves his counts? ^_^ Dude I though you build em up a bit more up to 3ks or so ^_^.

Anyways, I am not big on empire, but few things you should be aware. The hand gunner detachment can be VERY useful since you can stand and shoot when people charge you With abandency of ASF rule they might even surpass halberdiers. (Halbardiers will bounce off the high elves.)

You might also want to try some flagellants, those dudes are Crazy. ^_^ (there are actually very effective) And since the theme is religious lunacy (as I presume? ^_^) you might want two of them (core and rare). Also don't forget more priests and Popester (Arch Lector) on pope mobile (CraZy shit!) with Van Horstmann's speculum. ;D

OK I hope you won't make a gun line. ^_^ I would go with more priests, 2 flagellant warbands, Big block of Halberdiers (or two, and may be great swords, not sure) with hand gunners detachments, BSB with Griffin Banner (Gives Insane combat res bonus). There are lots of options, but the priest based army should be good for religious lunacy theme ^_^.

Good Luck regardless. ^_^

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2008, 01:59   #5 (permalink)
lonely tau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_dog
Hehe... So LT leaves his counts? ^_^ Dude I though you build em up a bit more up to 3ks or so ^_^.

OK I hope you won't make a gun line. ^_^ I would go with more priests, 2 flagellant warbands, Big block of Halberdiers (or two, and may be great swords, not sure) with hand gunners detachments, BSB with Griffin Banner (Gives Insane combat res bonus). There are lots of options, but the priest based army should be good for religious lunacy theme ^_^.
Well, as soon as I get my 'care' package from Cadaver, I'll be able to make an extra 3 Spirit Hosts, and then throwing in some odds and ends I'll be well on my way to over 3k :P 'sides, now I need to be actively collecting an army that I'm not almost finished with :P

Anyways, the theme is far from religious lunacy, it's more of a nationalism lunacy than anything :P And I'm only using the Warrior Priests to represent Dreamers who have made their way to the army, as there aren't supposed to be many of them. Gun Lines are horrible, because playing them is boring and playing against them isn't much fun either :P I'm not using too many War Machines altogether, just 2 Mortars in a 2k List, nothing else is particularly planned :P

Old 18 Feb 2008, 02:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

As far as your "fluff description" says, your guys ARE religious lunatics. The dream of better place and willing to die for it. Thats where flagelants and priests come to play

Regardless of what kind of lunacy it is, you can't go wrong with ULTIMATE LUNATICS = Flagelants ^_^ All and all, I think if you want a foot hold, you should REALLY consider flagelants. Also get a BSB pronto. Anvil army is not very great without one.

P.S. For some reason I've run into few empire players lately, and seen some powerful combos. And on fluff part trust me, if fluff includes lunacy and infantry... Unbreakable priest-state troops and flagelant Anvil with popemobile on flank is a sight to be feared. Ohh if you want to set up a BSB, mount him on bradded horse, full plate armor, and Griffin standard.

I as much as I don' like empire, I like to see more of non-gunline empire and none triple tank quadro priest and popemobile empire... ^_^

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!!

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Old 19 Feb 2008, 00:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Hmm, I think your units will have a very hard time winning combats. Some advice on detatchments -

Take units of 9, in 3 ranks of 3 if you want effectiveness. Probably swordsmen, you will not be getting many kills anyway and with Swordsmen, it means you wont be dying as easily and giving away combat res, especially with a front rank of 3. It also offers a smaller frontage which will make it harder for the enemy to charge your detatchment. You only need 1 combat detatchment per unit, just to negate enemy ranks. You really wont score many kills with them.

So you may as well stick your missle units as detatchments to your big units.

What role do your pistoliers have? they wont be holding the enemy up for your army to shoot and they very rarely score many hits of their own. You really need some kind of combat punch in your force. Some Inner Circle Knights with a Warbanner may do the job, you should be able to afford them with the cut down detatchments.

It will be useful to upgrade that Captain to a Battle Standard as he isn't packing much equipment anyway.

I'd give the Priest a two handed weapon, he isn't going to do much damage with 3 S4 attacks.

With a Battle Standard, your line should hold long enough for your Knights to see the enemy off if you go with what i've said. As is, I don't see any real combat winners in the army.
Old 19 Feb 2008, 01:28   #8 (permalink)
lonely tau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_dog
As far as your "fluff description" says, your guys ARE religious lunatics. The dream of better place and willing to die for it. Thats where flagelants and priests come to play
You've got Nationalism and Religion pretty mixed up, as Celephais is a place, not an ideal, and they're there already. Though the Lenin War Altar we were talking about in chat may make me take the War Altar and priests, I just plain don't like Flagellants :P

@Veq- Thanks for the advice, but do you really think Inner Circle Knights would be necessary for 1000 point games? Seems like I'd get off fine with a simple 5 man unit of Knights.
Old 19 Feb 2008, 01:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'll stress that free company's are very important, they will be able to disrupt formations and ruin enemy plans.

Example: You have a detachment of 5 free companymen then you march them out straight to the lines of your enemy, then you let the magic happen, the enemy will be confused as to why and will usually make brash decisions.

Take a detachment off of each of the swordsmen and then make them a full unit.

Make the crossbowmen into a full regiment.

Alright, then should you decide to take my advice, good luck.

No Pity No Remorse No Fear
[hr]
"All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Edgar Allen Poe
[hr]
[quote=Earring (Busy Destroying the World)]
Don't worry too much...remember...females can smell fear
Malchior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2008, 04:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
You've got Nationalism and Religion pretty mixed up, as Celephais is a place, not an ideal, and they're there already. Though the Lenin War Altar we were talking about in chat may make me take the War Altar and priests, I just plain don't like Flagellants :P
Flagellants are great! But its your point mate ^_^

On some real points ->

Veq -> I agree on the swordsmen comment, its a great idea to use 3x3. Detachments should have a shot of not dieing that way ^_^. Also, I'd say hand gunners can still be employed as detachments just to shoot from the back. They have to be at what 1''? Putting em behind last rank and they should be safe from charge and be able to S&S.

"Hammer" element is not a necessary, especially if there is an ability to run an unbreakable army. 3-4 Warrior priests and most of ur army is unbreakable. Yes you can have hammer (knights, tank, popester) but its not THAT. And I mean hammer can be something else, If you asked me, poster is just as great as Inner Circle.

And on Pistoleiers -> dude... They are one of the top (only contested (IMO) by magnificent skinks) redirectors in the game, they will auto rally. The can also flank (and deny ranks), can take down heavy infantry (they are still BS3 (no penalties for move and l.range) S4 -2 !). And they are dirt cheap. Heck, they are very possibly the best Fast Cav in game.

†Methelas† -> your free company idea is unnecessary. Empire has no need for this since they have an excess to pistoleers (!) which are FAR better for that role. They can also simply take the charge.
They only one who has to employ this tactic are dwarf (small warrior units) since they have no fast moving & or/cheap units. Empire has units for that.

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!