Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Plans for the future - Starting fantasy warhammer
Old 12 Jan 2008, 03:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Plans for the future - Starting fantasy warhammer

Hey guys. To give me inspiration in finishing 40k I came up with this plan:

Rebuild (Badly glued), repaint (first models) and finish every single model I currently own (Excluding lord of the rings... gah) and once those are done, I will allow myself to purchase a single warhammer army. I need advice on how to do this though.

1) If anyone has a spare rulebook, or knows someone who does, please PM me
2) what is the FoC like? HQ and 2 troops? Or 1 HQ and 2 core? Something like that?
3) army selection, see below.

I love my gecko. So lizardmen is an option. I'd have that guy on the (Carnosaur?) and lost of Sarus warriors.

I also like undead (Vampires) and tomb kings (Fantasy necrons?). Telling me more about these two armies would help me to decide, comparing them to my relative knowledge of lizardmen.

On the topic of lizardmen... is an army with few skinks effective? I'd love to run a Saurus core with some kroxigor, and maybe a handful of skinks to take out heavy weapons, but I need the rulebook before I can do much.

So yeah, just a decription on those armies would be cool (As I find getting it from a member friend is better than just on the internet...) and yeah, if you know someone who has a rulebook, tell me!
Old 12 Jan 2008, 06:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Plans for the future - Starting fantasy warhammer

Hehe welcome to the real Warhammer! ;D J/k ^_^

Read (don't buy!) the rule book. Then ask someone to explain stuff to you. If you'll like it, go to On-line store and see where you can save for your army (like battalion deals). Then buy stuff ^_^
***Force organization is FAR superior to the 40k btw. You got heroes(heroes & lords), core, special & rare. You have a limit of each choice (except core) for under 2k, 2k and >. So it has "apocalypse system" built in ***

Ok on armies ->

I play lizards, so any specific question you can ask me. Also http://www.pyramidvault.net/index.asp is a great web for lizzies ^_^
Yes it is possible to play with lots of suarus and in fact I do that. But there are different ways to play saurus heavy. Skinks are pretty much a must in every army. In reasonable amounts (20-30 -> average) they can make miracles. Overall, Lizards, like most races in Fantasy, can be played differently.

VC are getting an overhaul. So i'd wait if I were you. (no they aren't necrons, FAR from it! They are actually a horde army by the most part, same goes to TK, but TK is a shooty horde ). They still will all cause fear, thats for sure ^_^ (99% positive hehe)

TK are also cool. Have cool magic (arguably one of the toughest to block around), serious chariots, can be VERY shooty. They are also slooow and sometimes fragile. However they can raise almost anyone back to err... "death". In general, they are fragile, but the ability to get back up, again, again, again and again is hard to argue with. Just like VC, every unit causes fear.

So here you have it ^_^, ask around and you can pick your right army

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2008, 13:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

Firstly you will want to buy a rulebook. It may well be cheaper to borrow one, but there are so many special rules and magic lores used throughout the game that you WILL need a rulebook at hand. I've had my rulebook since hte new edition came out and even now I find myself haivng to dip in and out of it now and again to read up on rules. The battle for skull pass one is good if yo just want the rules but the big £30 one has much more content in it.

Force organisation has been covered, ther is no limit to how big a game you can play, other than time available and the models you have.

On armies-Lizardmen were my first army, and have a variety of ways to be played. Vampires I have no idea but can be played as a horde. TK are a difficult army to get into, but if you can master them they are deadly. Warseer has a Warhammer army guide written by the members of it (the lizardmen one was written by me incidently.)

Click here and scroll to the bottom

Hope that helps
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2008, 15:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hey guys!

Thanks for your input. Lizardmen it is!

So as for the 'minimum' it would be somewhat like 'a lord and ~500 points of core' or something like that? And under 2k you can have 300 rare, etc? I know the numbers will be off, just getting an idea.

As for an army plan, I like the look of the cold ones and the carnosaur (Are they making new cold ones? Or are they still the raptors?) so a veteran scar blade (Or whatever it is called) on carnosaur, maybe a few skink priests for dispelling magic an maybe some of my own, a fast unit or two of cold one riders, and then Saurus warriors as a core with a few small units of skinks to set traps (I have read battle reports where someone sent a giant after the skinks, and ran right into Kroxigor!) snd to take out special things with blowpipes and javelins.

I am not sure about the stegadon, I like its looks, but its combat effectivness is unknown to me.

Most of all, I want an army that can be effective, because I will be proxying for the most part until I get a steady job, but once I do get a job I will be getting models based upon their looks.
Any advice?
Old 12 Jan 2008, 19:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

Right, This is kind of difficult to explain, but i'll give it my best shot.

you are given "slots" that you are allowed to fill up for the siz ofgame (a bit like your standard FoC in 40K) the only real difference is that teh larger the game the more slots you will have that you are allowed to fill. There will be a minimum number of core slots you will have to fill for th esize of game you are playing, and then there will be an allowance of characters you are allowed as well. Lords will be reserved for the higher point games (but when you see their point cost you will be able to see why-and as Lizrdmen units are expensive points wise their Lords are even more expensive than otehr races-though they offer a lot more kick as well )

The Stegadon is our response to the Chariot, but with a heap of special psycology rules to help it stay on the table because of its mediocre leadership, and then strong attacks form itself after that. It also has a bolt thrower on it as well, which makes it our only true war machine.

Other than that it is best to have a go with the army and see what works and what doesn't really.

Hope that helps

[size=3pt]Dang, now I want to re-visit my lizzies! [/size]
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2008, 21:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

THanks man, that helped (Sorta :P)

A friend of mine acquired me with a free lizardman army book, and the latest rulebook! So I'll be busy reading that, and then I'll post up my first small list!