Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Might Start Empire
Old 24 Sep 2006, 23:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Might Start Empire

After playing a couple of games with Dwarfs, I started to not like them very much. They lack manueverability, and do not have any heavy cavalry, or any cavalry at all really. I started to look up on Empire, and saw some of their units and tactics. The Steam Tank and detachment rules seem to fit my playing style. Would this be a good starting 2,000 point army. I am unsure on how many models I will take or if this fits in 2,000 points as I haven't bought the book yet.

Lords:
Elector Count w/...something

Heroes:
Captain w/...something

Battle Wizard w/ Dispel Scrolls

Cores:
Swordsmen
Free Company detachment (flankers)
Handgunners detachment (screeners)

Swordsmen
Handgunners detachment (screeners)

Spearmen
Archers (screeners)

Handgunners (covering fire)

Huntsmen (scouts)

Knightly Orders

Knightly Orders

Specials:

Pistoliers (flankers for Knights)

Pistoliers (flankers for Knights)

Great Cannon

BTW, is the Steam Tank worth the points?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Black Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2006, 14:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash
Default Re: Might Start Empire

Seems like a fairly standard 'sword and shield' Empire army, just as it should be. Time to take a closer look and add a couple of comments...since I'm considering an Empire army after Orcs when I restart Fantasy myself

Elector Count: don't bling this guy out. Ever. He's there to give you a magic standard for your Core troopers, win a few close fights and leave it at that. He's best put in a central unit that's vital to holding your line together (and thus making sure your enemy will actually attack them), so his Leadership of 9 will help the most possible units. I know this sounds like a Dwarf tactic, but if you want someone to run around and bash people...then take a Grand Master as he'll do it a lot better (and look more characterful). I don't know much about doing that with the Empire as it's different to how I ever played them, so I will just stick to keeping an Empire Count cheap and nasty. I recommend full plate, shield, hand weapon and great weapon. That lets him throw down 3 S6 attacks (easily enough to splat a mild Hero or kill a couple of enemy Knights)...or sit back with his nice armour save of 2+ with hand weapon and shield. Not much is gonna hurt him then. As for his placement, stick him in the unit you'll hold your line with best...Greatswords (easy option) are best and most expensive, while Spearmen with a Griffon Standard are still very handy if you want to go cheap. Just keep them deep. If you MUST take a magic item, wait and see how many leftover points you've got and choose something out of what's left.

Captain: always take a Battle Standard in an Empire battleline army and it'll always be handy. Stick him either next to your Elector Count if you're worried about him getting offed somewhere else...or simply stick him in your second-best unit next to your Lord (so that they can benefit from both Leadership buffs). I recommend using him in a unit of Spearmen or Swordsmen, as they will get his Leadership of 8 in case your Lord dies. If you've got any leftover points, consider throwing in an extra Captain with full plate, shield, hand weapon and great weapon...as he's almost as solid as your Elector Count and more than a match for anything short of a blingy enemy Hero most of the time...and is dirt cheap. I'd rather have an extra one of these guys than a magic sword for my Lord.

Battle Wizard: simple defensive Wizard. Stick him somewhere safe and hope for the best I guess...he's hard to get anything much out of on his own, but always put him somewhere that his spells have a CHANCE of doing something with- you might kill the enemy Wizard and get off a spell or two late in the game.

Swordsmen and Spearmen: typical solid infantry units. Keep them big, as they'll win through ranks and numbers rather than skill and damage. Consider unit sizes of 25 or so...as they're absolute dirt cheap and you'll always lose a few and need to keep your rank bonus topped up. Take a Griffon Standard for the Spearmen and put a Hero/Lord in them and you've got a scary unit that won't be going anywhere...anchor your line with these guys and flank them well. Screening units are fine, as are the detachments...though you should also consider some Halberdiers for the job of flanking, as their S4 may come in handy if you're lucky enough to get a few hits in. Still, no problems with anything here at all.

Handgunners and Hunters:
again, normal part and parcel shooters of the Empire army. Hunters are particularly adept and offing war machines and sometimes even light cavalry units that are flanking around the place (and generally who will come to kill these guys). Handgunners are an excellent all-round shooting unit.

Knightly Orders: awesome stuff to use to run down enemy Fast Cavalry, flank enemy units and roll them up and intercept powerful combat units...you should never be without them. Hit something with these guys when they're assaulting your lines and you'll roll them up very fast...just remember your Knights (even Inner Circle) aren't the hardest out there and can't just barge directly into dense enemy formations. Be careful what you hit with them and they're amazing (and cheap) units that are very hard to kill and even harder to stop.

Pistoliers: my favourite light cavalry and probably the best in the entire game. I absolutely adore these guys...they can hurt just about anyone everyone and it's surprisingly hard to do much about them when they're buzzing along a flank, backed up by your Knights. Ride the Knights into a block and flank them with the Pistoliers and you'll break just about anything. Keep their units small and you'll always make your points back with them...even if you don't get a chance to kill artillery crews (something you should always take every chance to do).

Great Cannon: you can't have an Empire army without at least one piece of artillery and this is probably the most effective of them all in most circumstances, especially if you're just taking a single piece. The others are more exotic and more useful in specific instances, but for general purpose use and in isolation, the basic cannon is the business.

Uhhhh...for 2000pts, I'd say you're looking roughly at 1700-1800ish points if you followed my advice about keeping units nicely sized (but not too big). With the extra points, I'd throw in some Greatswords...definitely...but that's my personal bias. Otherwise I'd suggest an extra war machine, a few more models in the Knight and Pistolier units and even an extra Captain for the third infantry unit. It's all a matter of balancing the unit sizes really.

I don't like Steam Tanks and I honestly don't think they should ever be fielded in any army...ever. They're simply too rare to be used in a normal game.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2006, 16:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Elcampbello

I'd use archers as a skirmish screen, as their skirmishers, their easier to move around than handgunners.

As for elector count load out use as bash discribed with either Holy Relic OR armour of metioric iron. You want this one to live.

If you have spare points/slots a Warrior Preist is a great buy. As solid as a captain, he provides magic defence while not breaking the bank.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 00:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Might Start Empire (includes 2000 point list)

I have the book now so I have point costs and upgrades.

Lords
1 Elector Count (General) w/ Armor of Meteoric Armor, Great Weapon (116)

Heroes
1 Captain w/ Full Plate Armor, Shield, Hand Weapon (60) (mainly for his leadership)

1 Battle Wizard w/ 2 Dispel Scrolls (160)

Cores
19 Swordsmen w/ Musician, Standard Bearer, Duelist (158)
- 8 Archers detachment (screeners) (64)
- 8 Free Company detachment (flankers) (40)

19 Swordsmen w/ Musician, Standard Bearer, Duelist (158)

16 Spearmen w/ Musician, Standard Bearer, Griffon Standard, Sergeant (171)

16 Handgunners w/ Musician, Marksman w/ Repeater Handgun (153)

10 Huntsmen (100)

8 Knights of the White Wolf w/ Inner Circle, First Knight (240)

8 Knights w/ Standard Bearer OR First Knight (200)

Specials

5 Pistoliers (so expensive in money!) w/ Marksman w/ Repeater Pistol, Pistol (112)

5 Pistoliers w/ Marksman w/ Repeater Pistol, Pistol (112)

1 Great Cannon (100)

This list comes to 2052 points, so I am 52 points over. What should I remove?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 15:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Elcampbello

The repeater handgun and marksman in the hand gunners unit. I've proxied before and never worked for me. Also I'd drop a unit of pistoliers and upgrade the captain to a battle standard bearer. NEVER leave home without one under 2K
Old 28 Sep 2006, 20:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Edit: I tried out the following army with proxies in a 900 point game against Lizardmen, and it did very poorly.

Heroes:
Captain w/ Armor of Meteoric Iron, Great Weapon
Battle Wizard w/ 2 Dispel Scrollw

Cores:
16 Swordsmen w/ Musician, Standard Bearer
Det: 8 Free Company

16 Spearmen w/ Musician, Standard Bearer
Det: 8 Free Company

14 Handgunners

8 Knights of the White Wolf w/ Inner Circle. Musician, Standard Bearer

My Spearmen got ravaged by a large unit of Skinks firing at them, and were finished off by a unit of Saurus Warriors. My Swordsmen did some casualties, but not many. My Knights got one of his Wizards to one wound, and tried to charge the skinks, but they retreated. In overall, I did pretty bad. I do not know what went wrong, but the mass shooting of the Skinks was extremely painful.

Should I try out an Empire Shooty Army of Death, like having lots of Handgunners and Archers with maybe a very large unit of Spearmen with a Griffon Standard for defense, backed up by units of rock-solid Knights? Then, I could use a large unit of Huntsmen to scout up and prevent the enemy from marching, giving me more firepower. For Specials, I could have some Pistoliers to give more firepower and back up the Knights, and a Cannon and Mortar to deal with large monsters and hordes. For Rares, I could take a Helblaster. Some experienced Empire players at my local hobby shop said that I should take one, and I am pretty inexperienced, so I'll try it out.

I also would love to try out the Helblaster shooty Steam Tank or the Steam Gun assaulty Steam Tank. It would give more of an elite feel to my army (as Steam Tanks are so rare that only the best of the best could have them), and would spark fear in my enemy (to the enemy units via ingame rules AND to my opponent). It could soak up fire from enemy missile and artillery units to spare my other units, and could dish out a LOT of pain. It would also be a good flank protector, due to its massive size and the fact that it is Unbreakable AND causes fear. It may be considered beardy to take it, but there iare so many tactical possibilities with it, other than being tough and powerful, that I do not believe have been fully experimented with.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote: