Shas'El

Default Tomb kings army list

I just finished painting up my TK army. Here is the list, C&C welcome:

Lord
Tomb King w/scorpion armor, flail of radiance, enchanted sheild and chariot

heros
x3 lieche priests w/steed, dispell scroll, heratic jar

Core units

x2 20 skeletons w/spear & shield, light armor, champion, musician, standard bearer (one with banner of undieing legion)

x2 14 skeletons w/ bow and standard bearer, musician

8 heavy cavalry w/ champion, musician, standard bearer with standard of cursing word

4 chariots w/champion, standard bearer with mirage standard

3 ushabti

Any comments?

Wanax
Old 06 Oct 2006, 13:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Tomb kings army list

aside from all the priests being mounted, it looks like a nice starting army. I'm starting TK myself, and I'm going for a little less chanting and more troops.

What the heck, here's my idea for starting army list.

1,000 pts

Tomb prince (gen)
Spear of Antarhak
lgt armor + shield
139 pts

Liche priest (hier)
Hieratic Jar
140 pts

Core:

10 Skeleton Warriors, Archers (HW, bow)
80 pts

10 Skeleton Warriors, Archers
80 pts

8 Skeleton Light Horsemen, SB
126 pts

18 Skeleton Warriors, infantry (HW, shield) SB
154 pts

Special:

Tomb Scorpion
85 pts

3 Ushabti
195 pts

999 total

my basic plan is to start with a solid center of the infantry + gen and the ushabti.
the archers will deploy near the flanks of the center, one will have the hier, the light horsemen will stick near this unit until an oppurtunity comes out. The Tomb Scorpion will start using ICFB rule...

This is the first 1,000, I want to get a few games (5-6) in before expanding to 2,000 or 2,250.

All comments welcome on army comp or deployment plan.

Also, can anybody attest to the usefulness of the Casket of Souls? It looks sweet and is Raiders of the Lost Ark-esque, so automatic cool points there.

Old 06 Oct 2006, 14:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well you list is magic light. TK needs motivation magic in order to compete IMO. I've played 4 games now against Wood elves, empire and orks. In all of these I've learned 2 valuable lessons. First is charge rather than be charged, and 2 magic gets your troops across the table faster than the enemy. Any enemy with more than 3 dispell dice means you need MUCH magic to make this happen, thus the priest. Also the priest are mounted so they can move around the backfield and stay close enough to cast on different units.

The casket is expensive and never earns back its own points IMO. Against wood elves it was worthless and against empire it was destroyed by cannons. The fact that it can't move, has to sit in the open, and your heirophant has to sit on it makes it worthless. Cannon fire pulverized by heirophant in turn 3 and thus my army crumbled shortly after.

I've changed my list a little to grow it out:

TK w/scorpion armor, chariot, crown of kings, shield of ptra.

3x lieche priest w/w/steed, dispell scroll, heratic jar

Core units

x2 20 skeletons w/spear & shield, light armor, champion, musician, standard bearer (one with banner of undieing legion)

x3 10 skeletons w/ bow and standard bearer, musician

8 heavy cavalry w/ champion, musician, standard bearer with standard of cursing word

4 chariots w/champion, standard bearer with mirage standard
3 chariots (ride with king)

3 ushabti

I'd like to get a scorpion and 3 more ushabti, but the list is already at 2250. That's the tournament point totol for our Nov. 4th con.
Old 07 Oct 2006, 13:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

So I should go Tomb Prince and 2 Liche Priests at 1k, with one Priest mounted?

Also, for magical motivation, would a Liche High Priest make more sense for the Lord at 2k?
LHP + 2 HP + TP = 2 cants at 3d6 and 2 cants at 2d6 and 1 cant at d6 the equivelent of 11 PD.
3 HP + TK = 3 cants at 2d6 and 2 cants at d6, the equivelent of 8 PD.

Old 07 Oct 2006, 19:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think the advantages of the king over the prince are greater than the extra spell the H priest gets.

The king gets to cast 2 motivation spell at 6", has insane CC stats, and has many wicked weapons available to him. the HP has no additional options, just an extra spell. The kanopic jars give the priest this ability 1 time. Besides the HP is insane expensive in points, has poor leadership, and like any heirophant will cause the army to die when he is killed.

I like the king's leadership also.

Wanax
Old 17 Oct 2006, 00:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I have been eyeing TK's for a while and whant to know what you think of this list:

Tomb Prince
Scorpion Armor
Biting Blade
Shield

Liche Priest
Hieratic Jar
Dispel Scroll

Skeleton Warriors x2
12 Skeletons
Light Armor
Bows
Musician
Standard
123 each

Skeleton Warriors x2
20 Skeletons
Light Armor
Spears and Shields
Command
215 each

994 total

The only thing I can think of to make this better is to drop an archer troop and ad something to help my Skeletons when they get into CC

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Old 17 Oct 2006, 11:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

So far my experience has shown me a few things about this army:

1. The tomb king is worth the points, as his abilities far exceed the prince in everything from "thy will.." to CC. He is the only CC monster in this army because he can get himself in a chariot with a unit and into CC in turn 2. With a flail he goes first always, he has 4 excellent S attacks, and he can't be killed off with scorpion armor very easily.

2. The more lieche priest you have the better. I run 3 all mounted with H jar and Dispell scrolls for a reason. At 173pt each, three are half again as expensive as a single High Priest, and they bring more to the table. I can in effect for one turn cast 6 incantations if need be. This is what gets the army across the board and into CC.

3. Skeletons are never going to win combats, but they will hold an enemy up for a long time. I use large blocks of spear/sheild armed to charge into combat and hold the enemy there for the chariots or ushabti to hit in the next turn. Skeletons die alot, but that's why you get the "undying legion banner" (only available with TK rather than prince) so they can regenerate themselves and you get 3 lieche to keep them standing up with 2d6 regeneration.

4. light armor is a waste on skeletons. since most weapons are are higher strength they are going to detract from your saving throw by 2, and since you can't roll a 7, the armor is wasted points.

5. Skeleton bowmen are the bomb! Massive firepower allows for creating weakness in the enemy line that the chariots can exploit. I now run 3 units of 10 archers each, but I'm considering even more. Oh yeah, the bowmen are just as good as spear armed sheletons in the charge and CC.

6. Heavy cavalry are weak and need to be used carefully. They have very little impact, they have no save worth note, and they are easily shot to peices in units smaller than 20. Light cavalry have the same effect, but can shoot, so I'm considering changing over.

7. chariot units and cavarly units need to remain small in order to be effective as a manuver unit. I've found that chariot units larger than 4 are unable to manuver into a possition to charge enemy units. cavalry units larger than 10 (2 ranks) have the same issue. Terrain and the relative distance enemy units are from each other make getting onto flanks difficult at best.

8. TK armies need to attack asap. Your army will be loosing the entire game, but will win the game on points if you let them get into contact first and fast. Find a weak point and exploit it. Don't allow your bowmen to face grail knights, or other such matchups because the high impact will blow them away. The key is to get a charge in on the knights, thus the lieche priest and TK cracking the whip to move the entire army forward. By charging the enemy's high value targets with a CC charge, you tie them up allowing your own impact units (scorpions, B giants, ushabti, chariots) to slam into his archers and such. routing a single unit of bowmen can cause as many as 4 or 5 other enemy units to turn tail and run. This is the key to victory.

9. Your troops will not run, remember this. It doesn't matter how badly you are matched up with enemy units as long as you charged into CC rather than he. You can always regeenrate, you will never take a break test, and the point value of your average unit is 1/3 of that of the enemy. Loosing a unit of 20 spearmen is like loosing 4 knights. But keeping those 4,5 or 6 knights from charging something will save you 600 pts over the life of the game.

10. When in doubt about the outcome, charge. You never know how fear will effect the living until your opponant throws the dice...

My experience thus far with TK:

x2 orks
x4 empire
x1 wood elf
x1 bretonians

I've tied empire twice, and lost to woodelves (damned mobile forrest ran over my chariots). Otherwise, it is wins.

It is a great army to play with with some obvious weaknesses and subtle strengths. I see them as the necrons of Fantasy.

Wanax
Old 17 Oct 2006, 20:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

thanks for the info... I'll keep it in mind

2,000 points...

Tomb King
Scorpion Armor
Flail of Skulls
Shield of Ptra

Liche Priest x3
Hieratic Jar
Dispel Scroll
Skeletal Steed
173 each

Skeleton Warriors x2
15 Skeletons
Bows
Musician
Standard
135 each

Skeleton Warriors x2
20 Skeletons
Spears and Shields
Command
Banner of the Undying Legion
230 each

Ushabti
4 Ushabti

Chariots
5 Chariots
Command

2025 points

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Old 18 Oct 2006, 11:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

list looks good, very similar to mine

One note, you can only give one unit of infantry a magic standard (undying legion) with TK on the field.

Also you might save enough points for another ushabit or chariot if you remove all musicians. This is what I'm planning since I never tie in combat. 4x 8 is almost enough

I'm also looking at the queen kal(sp?) character. all archers can get poisoned attacks for 2 pts per. Something to thing about anyway.

Let me know how your list fares.

Wanax
Closed Thread