Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dark Elf List- 2k, no COK's
Closed Thread
Old 15 Sep 2006, 13:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Dark Elf List- 2k, no COK's

I decided that I wanted to travel the less-beaten path for my newest Dark Elf list. My recent trips to the game shop for new models have inspired me, as well as recent discussion and debate here.

Enjoy.
---------

Highborn, General
m/o Manticore
Armor of Darkness
Crown of Black Iron
lance
381 pts

Noble
m/o Dark Steed
Crimson Death
hvy armor
121 pts

Noble
m/o Dark Steed
Sword of Might
Ring of Hotek
hvy armor, shield
128 pts

Sorceress, Lvl 2
Seal of Ghrond
Darkstar Cloak
175 pts

CORE:

Dark Riders, 6 ea, M
127 pts

Dark Riders, 6 ea, M
127 pts

Dark Riders, 6 ea, RXB's, M
151 pts

Corsairs, 16 ea, FC, Warbanner
210 pts

SPECIAL:

Shades, 7 ea
98 pts

Shades, 6 ea
84 pts

Harpies, 6 ea
78 pts

RARE:

RBT, 2 crew
100 pts

War Hydra, 2 apprentices
220 pts

2,000 pts total

I designed this army around a solid center of the Warhydra, supported by the Corsairs (and resident Sorc) . The rest of the army is on flanking and harassment duty.

Each unit of Dark Riders (no RXB's) gets a Noble. The Noble with RoH > and SoM is on Mage-hunting duty , the other Noble and his unit are basically the closest thing to close support that the Hydra gets. The unit with RXB's will try to draw out a unit or two from the Hydra, and to harass targets of oppurtunity.

Shades will be harassing targets of oppurtunity. Depending on terrain, I'll deploy one forward and one a bit back. The Harpies seem strange in light of comments I posted, oh, an hour or so ago, but with the army's theme of mass-harassment, why not? If nothing else, they'll make for a nice flank charge in support of the Hydra.

The general and his manticore will be freelancing. His deployment is my only real point of contention. I can place him close to the Hydra, but if I deploy him away from the Hydra, I should be able to better utilize Terror. (Believe me, i was VERY tempted to give one of the Nobles the Deathmask, and v1.01 may include it.)

I built this army around the idea of an army that would be fun and characterful. Two sources of Terror (one that's mobile) that can actually put up a fight seemed like a good way to occupy some territory. The rest of the army is there to support these units. My only real concern is the small size of the army... usually I fit in a lot more models... of course, none of them are T 5, so that might balance itself out.

Old 15 Sep 2006, 18:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius
Default Re: Dark Elf List- 2k, no COK's

Well, I love the theme of your list and oh god would I love to see it on a table, but i've some slight queries and suggestions, even considerations you might like to try:

1) Your characters are all quite flimsy, the highborn has a 2+ armour granted but then a crown of black iron could be upped to a heart stone of darkness for een beter protection at a meagre 10 points. The one noble with CD only has a 4+ armour save, give him a SDC to buff it a little otherwise hes very very fragile. Though the unit will grant him some protection..

2) This is something that has no real requirement but a suggestion all the same - Have you given any thought to Mengil Manhide's Manflayers? My favourite unit in the druchii arsenal - they scout with crossbows so fill the role of a shade, however are damn near impossible to shoot and much tougher. They are also better shooters and poisoned, plus pretty darn good in close combat! They could fill a needed role of combat support in your army. They are very expensive however.

The more I go over your army however, the more I begin to love it and fear suggesting too much for loosing it's fantastic feel. The only problems I see is if you come up against a dwarf or defense/artillery orientated dwarf army.

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 15 Sep 2006, 22:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Brownmccoy
Default Re: Dark Elf List- 2k, no COK's

Personally, I am not a fan of the list. I prefer the footslogging army, although neveryone has different tactics.

Something the list could use is the terror causing assassin

I would advise against having your general on a manticore, because if that gets taken out, you're down a lot of points. They gain 481 points just by killing the rider and the armourless mount. Also, because it is a large target, it will be a prime subject for shooting.

On your nobles I would advise the sea dragon cloak. It's not too expensive, and it's a +1 or +2 to your save, in addition to heavy armour.

On your sorc, drop the darkstar cloak and take a scroll. You're not goign to cast much anyway at 2k with only 1 lvl 2 sorc.

Other than that, the list seems good.
Closed Thread