Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1st attempt Dark Elf list {1,000pts}
Closed Thread
Old 11 Sep 2006, 17:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to pettsy
Default 1st attempt Dark Elf list {1,000pts}

Well after 3 wonderful years of playing High Elves ive succumbed to the growing blackness in my heart and have started an army of Dark Elves. Can i get your views on my 1st attempted list.

Heroes

Sorceress
with 2 dispell scrolls

Core Units

16 Spearmen
with full command

16 Spearmen
with full command

Special Units

5 Cold One Knights
with full command

12 Executioners
with full command

Rare Units

2 Reaper Bolt Throwers

I realise that except for the bolt throwers my army rather lacks in the ranged damage department. I was thinking about maybe removing the Executioners and replacing them with a unit of Crossbowmen. The Sorceress is only really there for defensive magic hence the 2 scrolls.

I realise this list is gonna need some work, so any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks for your time,

~Pettsy~

"It matters not what form my enemy takes, I will slay him all the same" - Grand Master Daedelus

We are ever-living, our spirit is immortal, and long after the last of our people crumbles to dust we shall still live on. For we are the Asur and for as long as there is light then we will shine!
Old 12 Sep 2006, 08:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to wyrd_ian
Default Re: 1st attempt Dark Elf list {1,000pts}

In a 1,000 two dispell scrolls is a bit much I only carry the one in my army list and you've already got extra dispell dice for having a wizard on the field. I'm not a fan of coldone knights Stupidity really did let me down last night as may chariots faild to move out of sight of a dwarf cannon. my raiders won the game for me taking out a whole unit of dwarfs a dwarf cannon crew and a engineer. I would try to get some of these when you fill up your ranks.

KQD
-Disney: He's the puppet master, both our damnation and salvation. He rewards our successes and punishes us for our hubris (often in subtle but horrible ways). I suggest we do our best not to anger him, he is the greatest asset to our campaign and potentially the most fearsome foe we'll ever face.
Old 12 Sep 2006, 12:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeTTsY
Well after 3 wonderful years of playing High Elves ive succumbed to the growing blackness in my heart and have started an army of Dark Elves. Can i get your views on my 1st attempted list.

2 Reaper Bolt Throwers

I realise that except for the bolt throwers my army rather lacks in the ranged damage department. I was thinking about maybe removing the Executioners and replacing them with a unit of Crossbowmen. The Sorceress is only really there for defensive magic hence the 2 scrolls.

I realise this list is gonna need some work, so any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks for your time,

~Pettsy~
1. > Yay more Druchii players

2. The army itself is lacking in ranged damage. I find the Shooting Phase to be somewhat overrated. RBT's=the shiznite. RxB's= overrated. But that's just my opinion.

3. Stupidity is something you'll learn to live wiht. Either that, or you'll go back to playing HE. But it's not as big a problem as people make it out to be... except the rare occasion where stupidity hits at the worst possible time.

4. At 1,000 pts, I doubt 2 Dispel Scrolls will be neccesary. A better idea might be the Seal of Ghrond if you're going anti-magic.

5. Full command... I'm not convinced on unit champs for most DE units. Others will tell you otherwise. Sb and Mus definitely, but some units might not get much benefit from the unit champion.

6. If you haven't already, check out the DE threads by Frankthetank... brownmccoy and I have debated a few pertinent issues (such as unit champs)

As to your list, as far as the list goes, it's pretty good for a first-time list, except for the 2 dispel scrolls. One thing you might want to try out after a few games would be to replace the COK's with dark Riders... their mounts aren't stupid, and Fast Cav is fun.
Old 12 Sep 2006, 17:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

thanks for both replies, thinking about it now the Seal of Ghrond seems a better choice than the 2nd scroll.

so do you think i should exchange the Executioners for a unit of Crossbowmen or stick with them?

after a few games i will definitely be trying out some Dark Riders instead of my Cold One Knights {gonna be hard considering how lovely the COK models are }

"It matters not what form my enemy takes, I will slay him all the same" - Grand Master Daedelus

We are ever-living, our spirit is immortal, and long after the last of our people crumbles to dust we shall still live on. For we are the Asur and for as long as there is light then we will shine!
Old 13 Sep 2006, 00:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Brownmccoy

Welcome to the proper elf race...

As said, the dispel scrolls are overkill. I would personally take the seal of ghrond in stead of the second, or even a powerstone.

Personally, I like my warriors at US 20, since you now need 5 models per rank, you can still get the full rank bonus.

The bolt throwers will pick out all that is necessary to defend your army. No other ranged is neccesary.

Your list is almost identical to my 1k list... although I use dark riders as opposed to the CoK, or 1/2 chariots.

If you have any questions you want to ask me about DE, just drop me a PM and I will likely reply within the day.
Old 13 Sep 2006, 10:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

how's this for a second attempt?

Hero

Sorceress
with Seal of Ghrond and a Dispell Scroll.

Core Units

20 Spearmen
with Standard and Musician

20 Spearmen
with Standard and Musician

Special Units

5 Cold One Knights
with Full Command

Rare Units

2 Reaper Bolt Throwers

This leaves me with 120pts to play around with.

Old 13 Sep 2006, 13:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If you have 120 pts, then a unit of Dark Riders is almost mandatory.

That's 5 DR's with RXB's (120)
or
6 DR's plus Musician. (115)

I have to imagine you've thought of this already, but in case you didn't, it might be a good idea to give at least one of the Spear Warrior units shields as defensive measure.

The second list looks good otherwise.
Old 13 Sep 2006, 16:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

hmmm i may add the 6 Dark Riders with the Musician. However i was also looking at a unit of Harpies, most for warmachine hunting.

Both Spearmen units have shields i just dont usually note those down =)

Old 13 Sep 2006, 19:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Brownmccoy

you should note the shields down as they're an upgrade to the unit...

If you can free up 6 points you can have 5 DR w/ musician and RxB.

The list looks solid though. Just beware with the CoK, because they tend to get too far ahead of your army and end up in a bad situation...
Old 15 Sep 2006, 12:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Harpies: I've had to think and re-think my opinion on the usefulness of harpies.

They fly, so you can get them where you want them to go---most of the time. Still, worst statline in the army. The only redeeming quality is that they have two attacks.

If you read the fluff part regarding harpies, you'd think they were totally bad-ass. But they are seriously lacking.

If I were responsiblre for fixing harpies, I'd give them WS 4 and make them Frenzied, and make them 14 or 15 pts.

*sigh*

As they are, I can't really bring myself to field them anymore. They're totally susceptible to missile fire, no armor save, and not immune to Panic, with bad Ld to boot. And if they do make it into combat, they need to win (and they're not really set up for success here) cuz they're not sticking around too often if they get broken.

I might bring them in a 3000 pt list, but at 2000 pts I feel there are too many better options and not enough pts to bring them all.

If you really want a machine-hunting unit, Dark Riders are quite worthy. Their mobility isn't too much of a step down from harpies, and S 4 on the charge just might be the deciding factor. And if you equip them with RxB's, you might be able to take them out from a distance.

Shades are also kind of neat due to the Scouts rule. Think Shadow Warriors and plug in a new name and some new models. If you haven't used SW's or other Scouting units, look for an oppurtune forward position to deploy them in. If your opponent is really careless, you can have a unit starting the game in their deployment zone. I've had that happen once. They caused a unit of orc boyz to panic, as well as a secondary panic from a nearby Rock Lobber crew. Quite hilarious! Best of all, they're not 0-1.

Brown makes a good point about not getting the COK's to far ahead of the army. Due to the possibility of stupidity (on Ld9 or 10, so it shouldn't happen too often), I can't reccomend placing them behind your infantry blocks. Keep in mind, too, that you're not REQUIRED to march every turn, or march the full 14" when you do.