Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Chaos army list
Closed Thread
Old 21 Aug 2006, 11:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to wyrd_ian
Default Chaos army list

I'm only just getting back into fantasy so I don't know how well this list willl play.

Dhaulgu ( chaos sorcerer)
lv 2 wizard (shadow)
Dispell scroll
145pts

12 Chaos warriors
shields, full command
MoT 230 pts

20 Marauders
Flails and full command
145 pts

5 chaos warhounds
30 pts *

4 Chaos knights
MoT, standard bearer
172 pts

20 horrors
300 pts

1 Firewyrm spawn
75 pts

997 pts total

* these will either be the mortal warhounds or the beastmen warhounds depending on my opponent.

I have a few questions but for now I'd like to know if I can cast steed of shadows on my chaos spawn?

KQD

-Disney: He's the puppet master, both our damnation and salvation. He rewards our successes and punishes us for our hubris (often in subtle but horrible ways). I suggest we do our best not to anger him, he is the greatest asset to our campaign and potentially the most fearsome foe we'll ever face.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 14:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash
Default Re: Chaos army list

For a 1000pt game, a Dispell Scroll isn't all that overwhelmingly useful as most people won't field a wizard and since you have one yourself (L2 even), there's little chance of him getting a spell off that will warrant coughing up for one. I'd favour an offensive arcane item if you're going down that winding Shadow path

The only thing I don't like with your Core choices is the big block of Marauders with Flails...I've never liked them, to be honest...but if they're what you want to work with, go for it. I'd consider taking them with shields so they can hold off enemies fairly well...or fielding them in two strike units of 10-strong with great weapons, they are hideously effective at times.

Everything else seems just fine really...I'm not sure how much damage you'll do with magic in such a small game, but you'lre practically guaranteed to have dominance in the Magic phase.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 21 Aug 2006, 22:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Brownmccoy

Alright, now for my input.

personally, I would take an exalted or aspiring champion with MOT instead of the exalted sorc. That way you'll also have access to the lore of tzeench, and you can take a great weapon and such. It's quite a bit more expensive, but still.

And there is no reason to take the beastmen warhounds, because they'll take up a special choice. The only difference between the two is that they can ambush in a beastman army.

for the knights, get a musician. They are very useful, in case they end up fleeing for some reason.

as bash said, the dispel scroll isnt really useful at 1k. I'd say replace it with a powerstone.

I like the marauders with flails however, it's a nice unit for combat, having 4 ranks and S5 in the first round of HtH.

And no, you cannot use steed of shadows on the spawn, as it isn't a man-sized target... just imagine it somehow being used on ogres.... *shudders*
Old 22 Aug 2006, 12:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thanks for your advice. I'd like to point out a few things myself first I am going to build a large tzeentch force but I like the usefulness of the lore of shadows (the idea of a flying spawn was really appeling but can't be done ). War hounds in the hoards of chaos amry get to rank bonus but don't get fast attack because it mentions this I had assumed that the beast men warhounds do. I had chosen 4 chaos knights because they're very expensive and don't get a lance bonus and so have to be used differently to other knights to get any real use out of them. I went for the standard bearer so I could benerfit for a flank charge. I've got some idea on what I'll be getting next but that'll all depend after I've played a few games with these.

KQD
-Disney: He's the puppet master, both our damnation and salvation. He rewards our successes and punishes us for our hubris (often in subtle but horrible ways). I suggest we do our best not to anger him, he is the greatest asset to our campaign and potentially the most fearsome foe we'll ever face.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 02:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Nope, warhounds are the same either way. beastmen warhounds have the special ability "ambush" but that does not affect a mortal army. They do not have the fast cavalry rule. You may have been reading part of the fluff and thought that they were rules.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 12:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownmccoy

personally, I would take an exalted or aspiring champion with MOT instead of the exalted sorc. That way you'll also have access to the lore of tzeench, and you can take a great weapon and such. It's quite a bit more expensive, but still.
the only problem with that is that the MoT costs 70 pts and he'd have to seriously re-tool the army to reflect the points increase--- a Hero-level Sorc costs 5 pts more than an aspiring champ. Other than that, I agree with the AC/MoT would be better than a Sorceror.

My only point of grief with the list is the unit of 20 Horrors. Considering that the spell-casting ability is what it is, I doubt that most opponents will run enough dispel dice to prevent them from casting anything in most situations. My guess is that 15 would be a good starting number, use the extra 75 pts for another Chaos spawn.

8) And as much as I'd like to suggest getting into CC and casting Uncontrollable Mutations (to bolster their numbers) , their statline is as unimpressive as a Gobbo. Fear the Instability test when getting these guys stuck in. 8)
Old 01 Sep 2006, 08:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

What should I use as a "heavy cavalry" role in my army? A unit of 8 marauder horsemen with flails and full command at 150 pts half the cost of the average unit of knights, 3-6 chaos trolls or a unit of ironguts? I'm looking for a unit to break the enemy line and fit into my tzeentch theme.

I know the horsemen can deliver the same punching power as any other unit of knights and have the added manoeuvrability. The trolls with their Fear and Regeneration can be very devensive as well as offensive and the ogers just hit things really hard!

I just don't know which to choose? :-\

KQD
Old 01 Sep 2006, 13:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I would say none of the above. Dragon ogres. They are VERY deadly for breaking combat (and are also immune to lightning spells that make them frenzied )

The knights are fine though. At 1k the enemy will likely have trouble taking them out. And even if they do, they'll then realise your army is upon them.
Old 01 Sep 2006, 13:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownmccoy
I would say none of the above. Dragon ogres. They are VERY deadly for breaking combat (and are also immune to lightning spells that make them frenzied )

The knights are fine though. At 1k the enemy will likely have trouble taking them out. And even if they do, they'll then realise your army is upon them.
Sorry If I wasn't clear but I ment to say for my next 1,000 points so for my 2,000 pts army.

KQD
Old 04 Sep 2006, 02:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I dont think you mentioned it, but if you did, I appologise.
Closed Thread