Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500 Pts Clan Moulder (Skaven)
Closed Thread
Old 10 Aug 2006, 20:15   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default 1500 Pts Clan Moulder (Skaven)

Hey, I'm new to Skaven, but I want to create a Clan Moulder army rather than a regular list. So far I think it's pretty good, but I have never used giant rats, so I am not sure how big the unit should be. I know I'm missing rat swarms, but right now I'm not sure what to remove to add it in. Comments appreciated.

Heroes
Harbringer of Mutation-Hand Weapon, Whip, 1 Dispel Scroll
Harbringer of Mutation-Same as Above

Core Units
6 Giant Rat Packs
6 Giant Rat Packs
6 Giant Rat Packs (3 Seperate Units)
Clanrat Regiment-x25, Hand Weapons, Light Armour, and Shield, Full Command
Clanrat Regiment-x25, Hand Weapons, Light Armour, and Shield, Standard & Musician
Slaves-x20
Slaves-x20

Special
4 Rat Ogres
4 Rat Ogres

Total-1502

Thanks in Advance,
Flawfull
Old 14 Aug 2006, 09:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: 1500 Pts Clan Moulder (Skaven)

hmm. 6 packs in each unit. u know one pack consist of 6 rats and a packmaster, i think that will be pretty big units!. im not sure if thats good or not. i have heard its better to go with 3 packs in each unit, myself im going for two
Old 16 Aug 2006, 15:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hey there! Welcome to the hordes!

Firstly those 3 units of 6 giant rats each are HUGE! Perhaps a little too huge, each unit is going to have 42 models in it! Just a little bit big.

What I would honestly recomend is taking your army and making it a regular Skaven list.

Why? Well quite simply Harbingers of Mutation really aren't all that impressive and the moulder list doesn't really do much other than change your main stay unit.

Giant rats work best (i find) as small units running between your other units/on the flanks where they're movement 6 really becomes nasty. I find between 2-4 packs a unit is optimal.

Why not try out a list a little more like this:

Master Moulder w/ light armour, great weapon, eye of the horned rat
This is guy is great. He's fast, cheap, has three strength 6 attacks and most importantly has an LD of 6 to pass onto the rest of the army!

Warlock engineer w/ upgraded warp energy condenser, supercharged warp power accumulator, warp blades, storm daemon, dispell scroll
This guy is a little bit expensive but oh so very worth it. There's a bit of a risk he'll blow himself up but when you play Skaven that's half the fun . However when not exploding himself throwing out 3D6 Strength 5 shots/turn will certainly hurt your opponent.

30 Clan rats w/ sheilds, command

30 Clan rats w/ sheilds, command

25 Clan rats w/ sheilds, command

Good old clan rats, nothing wrong with these guys. They're big cheap units with a decent save. These are the backbone of your army.

4 Giant Rat packs

4 Giant Rat packs

4 Giant rat packs

Only 2/3 the amount of Giant rats as the other list but there's still plent of them here. Put two of these units within 6" of the master moulder and they'll be very hard to panic with a re-rollable Ld of 9!

4 Rat Ogres

4 Rat ogres

Put these guys behind the giant rats. It is IMPERATIVE that they stay within 6" of the master moulder so that they a) get an LD increase and b) get the pyscology re-roll. I can't count the number of times I've had my rat ogres run away.

Total: 1491

So let's look at what you've got in your army now. I'm sure the first thing that's obvious is that this army is HUGE. It's got a total of 187 models in it. All of them are at least WS 3 too! That's one heck of a horde. Despite this it's actually smaller than your original army! Don't panic though. This army has more staying power (that ld 6 from the master moulder goes a long way!) more magic blastiness from the warlock engineer and more armour. The clanrats 5+ save may not sound like much but compared to the giant rats total lack of a save it's a big difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 22:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Brownmccoy

Falstead, his point was to do something different. Making it a warlord list, isnt making it different.

Units of 6 packs are pretty good, 7 ranks of 6, with 6 whips coming in, but I would personally take packs of 4.

There was a moulder list in a white dwarf a while back with a moulder army list that seems very fun.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 13:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownmccoy
Falstead, his point was to do something different. Making it a warlord list, isnt making it different.

Units of 6 packs are pretty good, 7 ranks of 6, with 6 whips coming in, but I would personally take packs of 4.

There was a moulder list in a white dwarf a while back with a moulder army list that seems very fun.
hey, sorry if I didn't make this clear in my first post. I don't think that the clan moulder list at the back of the skaven book is particularly good. It's fun, but the advantages it grants just aren't worth the disadvantages you suffer.

I was recomending to Flawfull that instead of using the Moulder list he take a regular list and theme it to be moulder by using a lot of moulder units. That's the image the list i wrote was trying to capture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Closed Thread