Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting Fantasy with an Empire army- opinions please
Closed Thread
Old 02 Aug 2006, 02:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Starting Fantasy with an Empire army- opinions please

Hi All, ive now been tempted by the lure of Fantasy, having played 40K for ages now.. not quite sure why, but i decided to take it up!! Im about to spend some cash to establish a core force but im not quite sure of my choice at the moment, thought i might seek some advice.

My leanings are towards Empire, as they appear to be a very all-round force that can be bolstered with plenty of allies, and im a fan of the models themselves- the artillery in particular. Is this a good choice for someone starting out in Fantasy- i dont really want to try learning with an army that is insanely hard to use...

Any comments or advice i can get would be great, as i wish to part with my money very soon.. your thoughts please.

"Robed" Dark Angels-2500pts
Old 02 Aug 2006, 02:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Brownmccoy
Default Re: Starting Fantasy with an Empire army- opinions please

Empire is a solid army, that you can make very easy or dificult. If you make it dificult and master it you will be near unstopable. Empire is a good choice to start off WHFB with.
Old 02 Aug 2006, 16:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

however... they are being rereleased 1st quarter 2007 (with lots of new shiny toys apparently)

Old 02 Aug 2006, 22:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

yes, so i hear... the annoying thing is that i want to start, get the rulebook, get everything i need and start painting so i can get onto the tabletop as soon as possible, but then i might find that whatever i do have may become superceded/overshadowed depending on the new releases.

My other army option was going to be orks and goblins- i have already amassed a large collection of the classic Fantasy minis for this army (squigs + herders, doom divers and launcher, ork shaman etc..) so this might be something else to consider. However, i hear they will be getting a re-release soon as well?

Perhaps its just my bad timing..

Old 03 Aug 2006, 06:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Brownmccoy

Yep, orcs are coming out in a couple months if I recall correctly.
Old 03 Aug 2006, 10:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Empire it is- just picked up these little beauties in pristine condition for a decent price, im a happy chappy now.. a good buy? Old skool metal minis rock!!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Old 03 Aug 2006, 13:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Elcampbello

First things first, NEVER mount your elector count, but him in a unit of infantry to boost moral.

Second NEVER put your faith in artiliery. It can and will slap you around. That siad there's nothing wrong with taking a cannon or a morter but don't hinge your battle plan on them.

Thrid, take wizards in tag teams. There's no point in only taking the one as you won't get nearly enough power to dominate or defend the magic phase.

Yo can never go wrong with empire knights. These guys can and will steam roller most infantry with a bit of luck. Always inner ciricle if you can.

Finaly, detachments sound like a really good idea, but if your opponent has half a brain he'll guard against it.
Old 03 Aug 2006, 16:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

To address your points here...

1) I agree. Your Elector Count belongs backing up your infantry line and holding them together with his Leadership of 9. He's not a Chaos Lord and his damage is not done by charging off to fight things- he isn't even very good at that and certainly not worth throwing away a 24" circle of Ld9 for your battleline.

2) Artillery is a nice and effective part of your army list and you shouldn't be without much of it...but don't have an artillery train unless that is specifically what you intend to field for theme reasons. Artillery is the most unreliable thing in the game after magic, but potentially damaging and always entertaining. Take some, never none nor endless rows.

3) Wizards are a nice little add-on but not very reliable and unless you take loads of them, they won't really do anything great to help you. Taking loads of them is not in line with most Empire armies...and is quite dull in light of your other options (unless you're doing a College of Magic entourage or scouting force). Take one or two defensively or to give you a nice chance here or there depending on the game size...I like them at 1 for every 1000pts after 2000pts (meaning one in a 2000pt list, two in 3000pts and so on).

4) Empire Knights are neither devastatingly powerful nor terrifyingly intimidating. People aren't as scared of them as they should be. Hold them back and hammer home a flank when they come for your line and you'll work wonders with them...or sneak around and slam through some light infantry and these guys are amazing. Don't use them to fight other Knights, don't use them to sneak past the lines and don't use them to assault enemy heavy infantry head on...they're a counter-attack or flanking force and, at that, they are amazing.

5) Detachments are the most notable and useful thing in the entire Empire army list and if you don't make extensive use of them, I feel you're missing out on the best part of your infantry selections. They allow a huge advantage in staying power or extra hits...or, in the case of shooting units, the chance to just have a couple more models to throw out shots with.

Lastly, the Empire list is one of the greatest balanced forces available. Nothing in it is amazing nor scary, but it's all very useful if used with other stuff...you've got halberds for hitting power in detachments, spearmen and swordsmen to receive charges, Knights to flanlk with, handgunners to shoot down heavy infantry, cannon and mortars to blow great holes in the enemy line and enough defensive characters to keep it all going when the enemy hits home. The army wins and loses in combat resolution and being smart and using clever tactics centred around timing your counter-charges and figuring out your target priority with shooting beforehand. It's a very thought-heavy army...as your models are weaker than everyone else's in the game one-on-one (except the Undead). Use these tricks to beat your opponent and you've got it easy...

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Closed Thread