Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to Fantasy.....
Closed Thread
Old 28 Jul 2006, 20:38   #1 (permalink)
General Stupidity

Default New to Fantasy.....

Hello

Well i like the look of WFB for a long time now, my little brother has got some bretonnians and got the rulebook, it looks good. I was thinking of starting in a couple of years time because of the new Fantasy rulebook and the fact that i need a new 40k army. I quite like the Hordes of Chaos, could any of you Fantasy nuts out there tell me what the pros and cons are for Hordes of Chaos?

Thanks.

Old 29 Jul 2006, 15:04   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: New to Fantasy.....

PROS:
  • Versitility: With Daemons, Mortals, Chariots, Cavalry and everything in the Beasts of Chaos book readily available to tack into your army, combined with the numerous upgrades and Marks, Chaos armies can be almost anything you want it to be.
  • Raw Power: Chaos has some of the most powerful units in the game. Chosen Knights are brutal opponents, able to ride down and crush almost anything, and it takes a lot of work to drop a Greater Daemon or Dragon-Ogre Shaggoth!
  • Speed: Slaneeshi Cavalry is some of the fastest in WFB. With a 20" march-move, they can move at the same pace as a Flyer.

CONS:
  • No Shooting: Chaos have no ranged weapons. As such, you have no way of pinning enemy archers or war machnes, short of a lot of luck in the magic phase.
  • Beardy as Sin: Chaos has some of the most appaulingly beardy stuff in WFB. The Brayhorn, for example, is such an abhorrant piece of wargear that anyone who fields it needs "BEARDY SCUM" branded into their flesh with a red-hot poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 31 Jul 2006, 17:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Brownmccoy

I could have sworn I posted to this already!!!

I remember posting it and everything, and even reading it... alrighty, sanity being lost in all...

the cons are not very correct, at all. They have the hellcannon and marauder horsemen for shooting, and as for the beardy as sin comment, any army can be beardy as sin. Tell me an army and I can tell you how they can be beardy as sin (save wood elves, because I havent played against them too much).

Also, under cons, the general low model count if you want the raw power mentioned in the pros. I will mention more later because I'm ina bit of a rush...
Old 01 Aug 2006, 09:13   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownmccoy
the cons are not very correct, at all. They have the hellcannon and marauder horsemen for shooting,
Alright, they do have the Hellcannon... but I've never seen it used. As someone once said in my local GW when asked if he'd get one: "WHAT!? Who wants SHOOTING in a Chaos army!?"

He played Khorne, which explains a lot.

Didn't know about Marauders with bows...

Quote:
and as for the beardy as sin comment, any army can be beardy as sin. Tell me an army and I can tell you how they can be beardy as sin (save wood elves, because I havent played against them too much).
Chaos take the buscuit, believe me. The Brayhorn is just wrong, especially against armies with artillery. It's the 5th Edition flyer rules all over again...

Almost everyone I've spoken too thinks the Mark of Tzeench is way under points, given that it creates a "Do everything" mage, which 6th Edition was supposed to kill off.

Quote:
Also, under cons, the general low model count if you want the raw power mentioned in the pros. I will mention more later because I'm ina bit of a rush...
Most Chaos armies I face do an excellent job of combining raw power with cannon fodder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 02 Aug 2006, 02:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Brownmccoy

Quote:
Didn't know about Marauders with bows...
Throwing axes or throwing spears...

Quote:
Chaos take the buscuit, believe me. The Brayhorn is just wrong, especially against armies with artillery. It's the 5th Edition flyer rules all over again...
No.... they dont. You could play the slayers list, impossible NOT to be cheesy IMO, an all unbreakable army that doesnt crumble and is rock hard. You could play a skaven SAD army which is far more beardy than a chaos army, you could play an empire army with gotrek and felix, a steam tank and a complete gunline, with max mages.

Quote:
Almost everyone I've spoken too thinks the Mark of Tzeench is way under points, given that it creates a "Do everything" mage, which 6th Edition was supposed to kill off.
but they are able to do that at a hefty cost. They will have very reduced numbers. A good tactician can easily defeat that.

Quote:
Most Chaos armies I face do an excellent job of combining raw power with cannon fodder.
then they can all get panicked easier, since you can kill the harder models, causing the fodder to flee. Chaos armies dont fair incredibly well against me.
Closed Thread