Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

May start Fantasy soon, some questions.
Closed Thread
Old 27 Jul 2006, 20:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default May start Fantasy soon, some questions.

I've been thinking of startinf Fantasy, but I had some questions.

1: Which army is better for a n00b, as in, which is easiest to use? I know, it's the dreaded 'which is...' question, but I'd like to know.

2:Wood Elves. Are they really as good as they look?

3: Is Fantasy easier or more difficult to learn then 40k?
Old 28 Jul 2006, 01:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: May start Fantasy soon, some questions.

Fantasy has totally different nuances than 40k. Playing 40k will give you an understanding of the mechanics of the game, but aside from that, they're two different games.

I can't say definitively whether or not Wood Elves are "as good as they look", but they are good on paper. Their mobility is excellent (Movement phase is perhaps the biggest difference from 40k.), and that can often make all the difference in the world. T3 is a concern for any Elven army. As an aside, if you like the Wood Elves on paper, you might want to take a look at Beasts of Chaos. They have good mobility in the army as well.

As far as a starting army for a n00b, the Dwarfs are (to understate it) very forgiving. They're slow (M3) but when you have handguns, cannons, warmachines of every other flavor, you won't have to do that much moving anyway (unless the objectives require you to hold or obtain a position). And when someone actually makes it to blows, their basic Warriors are hard as nails. They're sort of the equivelent to Space Marines, I can't really find a more suitable analogy.

That said, one premise I've heard recently states that starting players should start with Imperial Guard to learn the game and THEN move on to Space Marines. Since we have the fantasy equivelent of SM listed, now I have to figure out an equivelent for IG... in which case I'm inclined to say Empire (funny, that). Either that or go with an Elven army.
Old 28 Jul 2006, 05:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i just started fantasy as well because all my friend play it and they say it a better more tactical game then 40k I'm picking dark elves for three reason

one i cant find to many good fun 40k gamers in my area there all fantasy
i love the dark eldar models and fluff they think there the sh** and will kill any body to prove so

two they remind me of dark eldar who i love in 40k

there fast and hit hard

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 30 Jul 2006, 03:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Brownmccoy

Well, fantasy definetely requires more tactics than 40k, since you have to worry about getting flanked and/or reared, since there is a bonus for combat resolution, a very hefty one.

Wood elves are good, but they require tactics. They cant be flanked as easily, since they need to be charged by at least two units (excluding the blocks of infantry). Main downside: T3, little to no armour.

Personally the 'noob' army I would say is empire, because they are the all around army. Or you could do a Skaven SAD army, but, as an avid member of The Underempire, I would have to smack you...

Quote:
Either that or go with an Elven army.
Worst advice for a noob army! Sorry but, elves require the most tactics of all armies, because they are expensive and frail. They need to do all the movement perfectly and use pin point charges and such.
Old 30 Jul 2006, 10:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Elcampbello

The most forgiving army is Horeds of Chaos and easyest to collect due to high pts/modle.
Old 30 Jul 2006, 21:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hordes is a confusing army to learn though, since there are a lot of special rules and exceptions. And it isnt too forgiving, due to the low model count for the most part. Mostly because of no shooting, and limited magic (it's limited by character slots). Also you will get many complaints and no one will want to play you if you use too many mages. A noob army should be able to use anything, shooting, magic, hand to hand... An army that's all hand to hand will get outshot, and a low model chaos army will just get danced around and shot to death.
Old 30 Jul 2006, 22:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Elcampbello

Well I roll with Empire myself and I can tell you not a noobs army. Really in WFB there is no noob army like SM in 40K. So to sum it up, who do you think is coolest and then work with it.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 17:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I was saying empire is a noob army, because they can do whatever they want and be successful. Every army is fairly balanced, but each army has the ability to be 'cheesed' out. You can also make it so any army uses a lot of tactics, which is how the tournament players often roll (excluding the cheesy gamers or people who only own that many points...)
Old 31 Jul 2006, 19:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

1.Khemri-->you don't need to worry about psychology, you don't need to worry if you succesfully cast spells couse they always work, there are no miscasts, if you loose half of unity you can rise it, if you place unit badly you can try to correct it in magic fase...

2. Yes. But I wouldn't suggest it for noobs, it's too lightly armoured and you can have problems with breaking blocks of tought infantry or deal with lot of magicans.

3. More difficult then 40k
Old 01 Aug 2006, 00:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'm also think about starting fantasy. Do high Elf Sea Guard or Eltharion with lots of swordsmaster works vs Dwarf and Chaos? There are too many Dwarf and Chaos in my gaming comunity.
Closed Thread