Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

vampire counts startingwarhammer
Closed Thread
Old 03 Jul 2006, 22:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default vampire counts startingwarhammer

hi im going to start warhammer and the army i liek the most is vampire counts i bin playing 40k for the last 2 year but all my freind moved to fantasy any way im going to get the codex this weekend need to know what to buy i want to make a really power full army i like top win im not in to fluff well a little but more in to winning any help would be great

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 04 Jul 2006, 00:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman
Default Re: vampire counts startingwarhammer

In two words...
Spirt Hosts!
LOTS OF THEM!
Etherial Swarms, with massively good stats and decent pts.
Old 04 Jul 2006, 05:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

okay well to start me off im thinking of starting off with 1000pt so can u make me a list to start off and tell me som tactics

Old 04 Jul 2006, 05:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

1000pts of Vampire Counts?

Either a Necromancer or a Thrall (if you're going Necrarchs) for your characters. If you're going to have a naked Necromancer, consider taking a Wight Lord with no magic items to beef up a combat unit.

Take 2-3 blocks of Skeleton Warriors with light armour and shields. These things are a nightmare to break through. Substitute one block with zombies if you need the points- but don't go crazy, as zombies are useless compared to skeletons in most cases.

Any extra points you can flitter away on Ghouls, Bats and anything that gives you a bit more speed...even a Spirit Host would help out at this level. You really need big blocks of infantry to hold off the enemy...and a couple of light skirmishers/fliers/ethereals allow you to move quickly.

Black Knights, Grave Guard, Black Coaches and the like are a big no-no in 1000pt games.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 04 Jul 2006, 05:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash
1000pts of Vampire Counts?

Either a Necromancer or a Thrall (if you're going Necrarchs) for your characters. If you're going to have a naked Necromancer, consider taking a Wight Lord with no magic items to beef up a combat unit.

Take 2-3 blocks of Skeleton Warriors with light armour and shields. These things are a nightmare to break through. Substitute one block with zombies if you need the points- but don't go crazy, as zombies are useless compared to skeletons in most cases.

Any extra points you can flitter away on Ghouls, Bats and anything that gives you a bit more speed...even a Spirit Host would help out at this level. You really need big blocks of infantry to hold off the enemy...and a couple of light skirmishers/fliers/ethereals allow you to move quickly.

Black Knights, Grave Guard, Black Coaches and the like are a big no-no in 1000pt games.
my freind was telling me how skeletons are so good so i want lots and how u can summon more to do flank charges while the other are in combat and how lord kick butt there buff in CC and in magic do i have to go for more high pt for that ??

Old 04 Jul 2006, 05:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

If you have just a couple of Necromancers and a nice battleline of Skeletons with light armour and shields...practically nothing can batter it's way through them. You then flank-charge them with weak units like Zombies or even Black knights (if you're lucky). Remember one thing about the Undead: your units don't inflict direct damage (except for Black Knights). Even Grave Guard are best with heavy armour and shields...as this makes them practically impossible to shift and able to inflict massive damage on anyone.

Lords, naturally, are only available in 2000pt games and even then I wouldn't advise using a Vampire Lord...but if you want raw combat power and awesome magic, by all means take one. Even the weediest of them is able to kill anything short of a Chaos Lord in single combat...and that particular Lord is one of the strongest magic wielders in the game. I still think Vampire Counts are best with a humble Von Carstein leader unless you want a specific approach (Blood Dragon lords are the strongest characters in the entire game, but aren't particularly good with magic, for instance...while Necrarchs are devastingly nasty in the magic phase).

The flank-charge of the Undead and keeping their troops popping up like daisies are hallmarks of a good Vampire Counts leader. These tricks aren't all that hard to pull off...and it's only extremely fast armies that it doesn't work against...but these generally make sacrifices of other kinds to get that speed (having lots of skirmishers or cavalry means few tough combat blocks).

Really...go for the look of the Vampires you like most. Even dismissing fluff for a moment (GASP!), you'll only have about even 3-4 of them in a massive 3000pt army...and that's if you go vamp-crazy (as some do).

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 10 Jul 2006, 09:37   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to bloodsucker

First of all what look are you going for? What do you want a combat heavy army? An army that attacks first? An army tht is strong enough to take down lots of things may have an extra wound and have a ward\invulnerable save? A strong enough base to send Tzeentch armies packing? Buy the book and a unit of skeletons first and then decide what else you want is all I can say and then maybe ask for a tactica.