Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Skaven army list
Closed Thread
Old 19 Jun 2006, 13:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Skaven army list

k,this is a army list for quite much points. i may make it reach 300 someday,but my goal is this first, 2356pts

following units,exept the characters havnt got any magical items,so please someone,state certain magical items that are recomended for each character

LORDS:

warlord-two hand weapons,shield,heavy armor

HEROES:
Assasin
Warlock engineer-warplock pistol,warp blades,warp power accumulator and warp energy copndenser
cheiftain-heavy armor,shield

CORE:

20x clanrats-full command,spears and attached ratling gun
10x night runners-throwing stars
15x night runners
15x night runners
giant rats (2 packs)
giant rats (2 packs)
3x rat swarm
20x stormvermin-full command,shields

SPECIAL:

20x plague monks-full command,additional hand weapons
rat ogres(4 rat ogres)
rat ogres(4 rat ogres)
6x warplock jezzails
Old 19 Jun 2006, 15:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Stooga
Default Re: Skaven army list

I'm not sure if you want both two hand weapons and a shield on your lord. I don't know exactly how skaven work, but unless they can wield a weapon with their tail like in Mordheim, I suggest you drop either one hand weapon or the shield.

In tournies magical items aren't used that much, take a couple of dispel scrolls at most. In regular games, go nuts. I usually don't take anything that costs more than 40-ish points, since they usually require some skill to use to make up for their cost. But try out some different things and play away to see what you like.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 08:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

o,but it says it can take that stuff,for weapons,an additional hand weapon is stated, in armor i took heavy. and it said it may also take a shield,but i dunno,are it stated in the rules book that a model cant have an additional weapon while using shield?
Old 20 Jun 2006, 10:37   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to bloodsucker

You can only take one thing per hand unless your a character in which case you chose one or another per combat.
Old 21 Jun 2006, 17:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

ok then,i'l either remove the hand weapon or shield...but,is it good to chose a halberd or great weapon insteed?
Old 03 Aug 2006, 11:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

my question remains.

and i'm going to remove the cheiftain from the list, in exchange for another assasin
Old 04 Aug 2006, 05:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Brownmccoy

Okay, Skaven are my expertise so, here is the brown treatment (is it just me or does that sound wrong?)

Quote:
LORDS:

warlord-two hand weapons,shield,heavy armor
I'm not a fan of the two hand weapons. I generally just use a great weapon, but most players find that it is a waster of skaven's great initiative. However, a warlord with bands of power and additional hand weapon is deadly! A possible 5S8 attacks! (I think, may be more, dont have my army book here).

Quote:
HEROES:
Assasin
Warlock engineer-warplock pistol,warp blades,warp power accumulator and warp energy copndenser
cheiftain-heavy armor,shield
I find putting warpstone stars on the assassin is akmost always worth it. It works wonders if the opponent has a giant or large monster, or especially against ogres! However, he is already expensive to start, so it's understandable if oyu dont want to use that.

Engineer: You don't need the accumulator, because he can only use 3 power dice per turn, and you start with 2 basic, and he generates one die. Also, make it a scroll caddy (2x dispel scrolls). I would reccomend taking another one, since you will easily be outmagicked.

Chieftain: Good. As said earlier, I prefer the GW.

Quote:
Okay, this requires serious work.

Skaven units simply dont work at unit size 20. Skaven need their Strength in Numbers to survive! Remember, at 20 models, if you lose 2 models (with ranks of 5) you will already lose 1 LD. Skaven generals will always tell you to take units of 25 or 30, 30 if it's a take on all armies sort of army. Also, spears are not useful, since Skaven are fast and will likely get the charge. They rely on taking enemies out quickly from combat res (which you will be lacking from the 20 models...). skaven generally have a static CR of 5 (3 ranks, standard, outnumber), combined with other things to break opponents. Also, you use too many ratling guns for my taste. If using this list, be prepared to be called cheesy...

Quote:
10x night runners-throwing stars
15x night runners
15x night runners
Okay, IMO night runners should have some sort of weapon other than the standard hand weapon. And also, unit size 15 is a little too large, considering they cannot get ranks. Drop them all to 10 and give the other 2 units additional hand weapons.

Quote:
giant rats (2 packs)
giant rats (2 packs)
I love giant rats. Personally, I use 3 packs, since it's still affordable, and it also allows you to start with 4 ranks. A very useful note: They are amost always underestimated, and with M6, it's a deadly mistake on their part.

Quote:
20x plague monks-full command,additional hand weapons
rat ogres(4 rat ogres)
rat ogres(4 rat ogres)
6x warplock jezzails
Clanrats: same points as above.
Rat ogres: nice. I love rat ogres, but I dont have enough painted... Good unit size, be prepared for them to become pin coushins though.
Jezzails: I personally use units of 6 (due to me being cheap, moneywise), but it is reccomended in units of 10.
Monks: I would also reccomend giving them Warbanner. They need the beat the opponent or they become far less useful, and the +1 for warbanner makes them less likely to lose.

Overall: Clanrats need to be larger in unit sizes, that should be your main priority. Next, you NEED slaves in a successful skaven army. (Well, they are cheap so it's smart to use them. Possibly the best unit in a skaven army for their points. They win games by messing with opponents tactics. They dont want slaves in the flank.) Also, you will be shredded to pieces by magic. I would also keep the chieftain over the assassin because they build to the units combat capabilities, as well as provide the extra LD if not within the warlord's range.

As for your question: A model can have both a shield and an additional hand weapon, but you must chose which you use before the combat (and it lasts until the combat is done, not the round... ). It's good for the flexability, since if you're being charged by say... knights, you can use the extra +2 to AS, but if charged by goblins, you can use the extra attack.

Hope this helps.
Brown
Old 04 Aug 2006, 20:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

thanks alot, i'l think about enlarging the groups then!. and the other advoice
Old 04 Aug 2006, 22:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Few points:
-spears are waste of points
-you'd better give your warlord great weapon and shield- that gives you either good armour or killing power, whatever needed at the moment
-4 ratling guns are very cheesy but only until 7th ED appears.
-you really need 2nd engineer and at least 2 DS.
-take at least one unit uf gutter runners, just to scary some cannons or magicans
-Slaves are really usefull, you should take at least one unit
Old 05 Aug 2006, 01:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Brownmccoy

basically he just summed my post up in paragraph...

And I tend to use one unit of slaves per block of clanrat.
Closed Thread