Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New fantasy player, need help...
Closed Thread
Old 12 Jun 2006, 18:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander
Default New fantasy player, need help...

I got the rulebook a month ago, and love the rules. However, my plans of being chaos has not worked out. After reading the codex, I found I didn't like them a whole lot as I thought I would. I found extreme dislike in the fact there are no missile troops, and it seems like all they can do is charge at the enemy. THe only variation I found was just how fast and how many, and how hard. I love mixing differant kinds of troops and using combinations to defeat enemies, so Chaos seemed sort of bland to me. I was also dissapointed in the nnumber of "exotic" choices as I like to call them. You know, the really wierd stuff, like monsters and cannons and skirmishing units, and really wierd stuff. Stuff you wouldn't find any resemblance in any other army. I also disliked Mauraders and the general idea of a barbarian army. THe only thing I liked were Daemon Princes, but they weren't enough to sway my decision of looking at another army.

So, rather than just buy every codex or say "X,Y, and Z look good, tell me about them", I would like to give a description of an army list I would like to play, and if you guys wouldn't mind, tell me 2 choices that fit this. I'd really appreciate it, as this is the only area I can turn to and ask about Fanatasy, as I have no friends who play it (I want to play at the store, but I'm not there enough to get good ideas, and the store people will just try and give me whats most expensive).

Anyways, I want a real exotic army. Lots of wierd stuff, most preferably things rarely used. I want to have a lot of soldiers, as I found that Chaos Warriors were expensive and didn't yield a lot of them. I want a good morale army too, as I dislike undisciplined armies who just run away. Also, an army that can have the story line of a warband, not a grand army (for instance, an outcast necromancer, a Dark Elf raiding party, a Dwarven something, etc. Not the Emperor company of the main city, or so and so's really famous army that swept across the lands). I also like a good mix of missile troops and close combat troops. Lastly, I want a lot of customization. Basically, an exotic army that can be extremely customized, fun, and very, very exotic and unusual.

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 12 Jun 2006, 20:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to comanchieflier
Default Re: New fantasy player, need help...

I'd say Skaven or Vampire Counts are your best bet

Skaven - Horde army, with everything from a cannon that can level a mountain to grotesque monstrosities, these Rat-men are fun and characterful

VC - Elite generals with skeletons and hordes of undead. They never run, but no missile troops, however, with necromancers, ou raise the dead!
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezing
comanchieflier recieves a mobile phone that can only do "leet speak" messages.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 12:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

The most obvious choice, to my mind, is that of the Wood Elves...and nothing much else even comes close.

The Wood Elves DEFINE exotic. Every single unit in their army list, really, is weird in it's own wonderful way. Rather than going over each of them specifically, just think of how a few choices mix together. You can easily field a tough heavy spearman line backed up by characters in the form of Eternal Guard (they are extremely reliable and quite highly skilled as far as spearmen go), supported by monsters and with all manner of fear-causing, multiple attack skirmishers doing all sorts of nasty things on the side...backed up by potent magic, archery and even flying cavalry. You have a huge range of options of all kinds...you've got awesome archers, the best skirmishers in the game, great defensive troops and scary monsters...what more do you want? Even the units themselves often have a few little quirks to them, like Waywatchers (my personal favourite of their units) with their unique deployment rules and the various Wardancer dances...and the devastating charges of Wild Riders too. There's simply so much you can do with them that the only real problem with your army is deciding what you want to put your points into- you can do a little of everything, or simply take the choices most relevant to you. Customise your commanders, mix up your basic units, have fast-striking units and solid defensive ones...all with a psychological edge, magic and missile support.

They're the most exotic army there is by a long, long way. Not the easiest to use, but certainly the most fun to pull off tricksy Elf moves with...

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 13 Jun 2006, 19:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, he wants to use a not often used army, and the wood elves are exact opposite of that
Quote:
Old 14 Jun 2006, 03:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

But wait, Skaven and VC are overused as well. What about Lizardmen?
Old 14 Jun 2006, 04:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Lizardmen are certainly a less-common option, so they do warrant consideration...in many ways they are like the Wood Elves, even if their actual stats and options are quite different.

First...they have great basic troops in the form of Saurus that, in my mind, are best used as elite heavy spearmen with access to all manner of customisation with the Sacred Spawning options...though even fairly basic with hand weapon and shield, they're nasty enough as it is and reliable for receiving charges/making attacks and not running away. Skinks, on the other hand, allow you to pepper the enemy with poisoned attacks every step of their advance while tearing around the flanks...and while they aren't spectactular or devastating against anything (except unarmoured monsters, really, who they really do make a mess of), they do allow you to irritate your opponent as he makes his advance...if you want to soften him up for your own attack, there's also the higher up skink units such as Salamanders and the dreaded Stegadon. Hell, who else can field DINOSAURS? There's just something plain kewl about that...

Temple Guard are very tough and reliable fighters...as are the Saurus characters you can splash out on. With the Cold-Blooded rule, they're generally not going anywhere. More interesting, to most, is the option to take a Slann with a cotorie of little Skink Priests to help him out...and even at the lowest level, the Slann is a horribly powerful magic user that will guarantee dominance of the magic phase. You've got a wide degree of variety here in terms of power level, as well as with the Sacred Spawnings and Generations for your heroes...while for the non-Core units you can take nasty units such as Kroxigor, able to charge through Skink skirmish screens, dreaded Saurus cavalry that cause Fear and even Chaemeleon Skinks that, while not overly powerful are pretty damn amusing in their own right...and can be used in all manner of circumstances.

Overall, the Lizardman army list allows you to tailor it to your needs...if you want to have lots of light skirmishers running around a tough defensive 'shield wall' of Saurus warriors that are fully decked out with Spawnings, you can do just fine...or if you prefer an offensive force with lightly troops (and more of them) backed up by powerful magic and fast-moving Stegadon and Saurus Cavalry, you can do that fine too. You are tied down to fielding expensive models no matter what you do and your weaker units are pretty much useless once their gimmick wears off...but should you get a chance to use them in their intended role (to me, Skinks are a reason to never ever field an expensive unarmoured monsters, send out lone riding wizards or just generally to not field only big blocks of infantry- the exact thing you want your tough Saurus to grind down), they are underestimated and deadly. You are also really committed to having a fairly slow main drive of infantry blocks supported by skirmishers, cavalry and all the other trimmings such as Salamanders, heavy cavalry and possibly an awesome mage (again, if you splash out on the big toad).

Old 14 Jun 2006, 16:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I have not yet met another skaven or VC player yet... of course I have only been playng for a month or 2
Quote:
Old 14 Jun 2006, 20:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by comanchieflier
I have not yet met another skaven or VC player yet... of course I have only been playng for a month or 2
I'm inclined to agree with this...over here, there's quite few dedicated Skaven or Vampire Counts armies. The most popular choices are Empire, Orcs, Chaos and High Elves...

Old 30 Jun 2006, 00:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

O.K. then, let's look at your demands.

Weird and good morale.

Dwarfs. I chose these bad boys because of their hilarity. Well, of certain units that is. Engineers and miners are always good for a laugh in my eyes. So that they are weird though, you must go ALL CLOSE COMBAT! Unfourtunatly I don't think you will have that many men seeing as the average dwarfs cost just about the same as a choas warrior.

Another army with good morale are the elves. With leadership 8 its pretty hard to make them run. Also, if I might not be too quick to suggest a cult of slaneesh army which is both weird, lots of units and has a Demon Prince like character?

I got owned by Wargamer, crazedmongoose2003 in Br and finally the inquisition during April 1st.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 01:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Dwarf warriors don't cost even remotely the same as a Chaos Warrior

While I will not quote the points value, a Dwarf Warrior with hand weapon, shield and heavy armour is still 5pts lower than a basic Chaos Warrior (with just heavy armour and a single hand weapon). Dwarfs are cheap and efficient at the lower end.

Closed Thread