Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting Hordes of Chaos. Any ideas?
Closed Thread
Old 14 May 2006, 23:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander
Default Starting Hordes of Chaos. Any ideas?

I need some help. I'm just starting Warhammer (jusr ordered the rulebook ), and wanted to be Hordes of Chaos. Any suggestions on starting them, and what to get and what not to get?

BTW I want to be a Mortal Army.

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 15 May 2006, 02:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Starting Hordes of Chaos. Any ideas?

go knorne (i not a chaos player but i always get my but kicked by knorne) get heaps of warriors and even more meraurders

OK partner, good job. now could you please spit out the fugitive?
-holly short

lets just say im a very smart boy.
-artemis fowl again!
Old 16 May 2006, 01:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman

Naw,
Just got very heavy on maruaders and A giant or two, lead by a big Lord, and lots of the Maurader cavalry (do they still have that)

The Mothman
Old 16 May 2006, 21:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

There are really 3 choices when it comes to being a mortal army.

Do you want to be a small and elite group, an actual horde, or a mix.

If you go the small elite approach then I would suggest getting 2 sets of chaos warriors on foot, a single set of chaos knights, and chaos general.

The small elite army will provide you with a group of close combat monsters who can even cause a group of ogres trouble in hand to hand. The chosen chaos warriors will have a 2+ save on foot thanks to chaos armour, and the knights will have a 0+ save. This means even against an ogre, chaos knights will only have to roll 2 or better most of the time.

Assuming you get 24 warriors, 1 general, and 5 knights you will have enough models to play in games of at least 1000 points. Throw in a chariot, a spawn, and/or any of the other interesting units they have and you will have enough for 1500 battles.

The second option is the horde. Marauders are cheap, they don't really get much of an armour save, but they are light, fast, and use very few points. Marauders work well in close combat too, but if your opponent has heavy infantry, or heavy cavalry then you will loose close combat unless your roles get lucky. I've never actually seen a pure marauder army so I can't say exactly how good it will be, but the lack of armour and heavy infantry is against them. The advantage is the sheer number of forces you can throw at your opponent.

The final option is a mixed force. If you take a single group of chaos warriors, a group of marauders, a group of chaos knights, and a group of marauder horsemen. This will increase the number of troops you can field on the board and thus making it harder to hit your flanks. It will also allow you to retain a core of heavy troops to bolster lighter forces. It also gives you the faster marauder horsemen to harass the enemies flanks.

A chaos warrior chariot is a hard hitting unit that will do a lot of damage to light infantry, but unless it gets the charge will be cut apart by cavalry and heavy infantry.

Warhounds of chaos are a unit I actually haven't seen taken and can't offer much advice either way. They work for harassment and flanking, but will be cut apart in close combat or get shot apart if they come within range of missiles.

With a mortal army you can still take daemons as a special choice, but the daemons depends on the mark you take.

Then you really have 3 choices for rare units:

Chaos spawn: This slavering mound of flesh can be a mixed blessing. Being fearless it can stand up to an entire unit of heavy cavalry and hold them up for half the game killing several, or it could dither along moving slowly with bad dice rolls and come into the fight too late to matter. The spawn's high strength and toughness makes it hard to kill by anything without high strength or a lance charge.

The hellcannon of chaos is another rare that can be added to the army. Like the spawn it can be a mixed blessing. While actually adding some ranged heavy artillery to your forces it is also possible for it to go rampaging like no other artillery could and end up hitting your own horde in the rear. It can be a tactical problem putting the cannon close enough to your army to be defended while far enough away so as not to hurt your own forces in an accident.

As a rare choice dogs of war work to fill in whatever you can imagine for them. A few options that work well from dogs of war:

Mengils' manflayers: This is a good dark elf ranged unit that uses repeating crossbows, Mengil himself uses a 3x repeater with poisoned bolts. They work well fluff wise and tactically as well.

Giant/Ogre: Either of these will cause your opponent to pay less attention to your actual troops thanks to their reputations alone. They also deal some serious combat power.
Old 16 May 2006, 23:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander

Can't you also use Beastmen too?

Anyways, good stuff. I'm looking for more of a elitish army. I dislike Mauraders (model and reputation). And I just love the Warrior look. Soon I'll see the rules and will know positively.

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 31 May 2006, 10:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

i just vs a fuly cav army and got my but whipped its a nice army so i hope it helps you (400 points)

lord of knorne on demonic steed with great weapon
5 merouder hourse men with spears and throwing weapons champion
5 chaos knights knorne and champion
6 hounds od chaos

quit ilite and some cannon fodder

OK partner, good job. now could you please spit out the fugitive?
-holly short

lets just say im a very smart boy.
-artemis fowl again!
Old 31 May 2006, 13:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Warrior heavy armies can be nasty.

Try a set up something like this

1 Lord
2 Heroes, 1 mounted

3 Units on foot with shields, maybe one unit with great weapons. Make each unit 16-20 guys.

1 Unit of 6-10 Chosen Chaos knights of Khorne.

Fairly effective with a nice fast punch from the knights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Closed Thread