Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Why the Southland army is better than Lustria.
Closed Thread
Old 01 May 2006, 00:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman
Default Why the Southland army is better than Lustria.

Hello.
I have taken my leave of 40k, and returned to the Old World.
And to kick off my return to fanasty, I give you why the least played army is the best.

[size=20pt]LORDS AND HEROES[/size]

Slann Mage Priest
Our beloved Slann. The Slann has many strengths, One of which is how fething tough he is! With an astounding number of wounds, and a high toughness, our Slann is easily the toughest wizard out there. Most other wizards will fall under a small barrage of Blow pipes! But with all Toughness aside, they are easily the best wizard in the game. As a level 4 wizard that adds +1 to all attempts to dispell, and cast, as well as the ability to cast spells through friendly wizards, and aviod Combat! What's not to love! As is with all Lizardmen, the cost. Though copy right laws forbid me from posting his exact cost, but my Southlands Slann is tooled up as such:
Slann Mage Priest
4th Generation
Standard Bearer: Totem of Prophecy
Plauque of Dominion
Plaque of Tepok
Bane Head
Total: 505pts
And for 505pts you have a Slann that adds +1 to all magic related rolls, and adds +1 dice to the Power dice and dispell pools, knows 5 Spells from differant lores if you so disire, and if you roll a miscast, not miscast table for you! And is also a very effective Anti-Lord/Hero killer with the bane head, as all wounds the Slann deals are doubled against the target Lord/Hero!

With this set up, in one game I kiled over 1000pts of Chaos!

Skink Chief
Ah my dearest Chief. I love this little guy! He is so cost effective!
In the Southlands I often mount him on a Horned One, giving him nearly the speed of Elven steads, and fast Cavalry!
With the Cloak of Feathers our little Hero can fly!
I set my Southland Chiefs up as such,
Chief
Blessed Spawing of Itzl
Horned One
Bane Head
Staff of the Lost Sun
Spear
Light Armour
Shield
Total: 118pts
Now, that is a great assasin! 3 S5 attacks of the charge, and a Maxium of 3 S5 Shortbow shots, fast cavalry, and have a 4+ save against shooting and when using the spear, and a 3+ when using the Hand Weapon, that will generally strike first in I order! And has insane Ws! YAY!

I hate priests so I won't even get into them.

I dont consider Saurus to be part of the Southlands, so I will not include them...but we all know their strenght lies in their rock hard charge, and defence, same with Kroxigors.

Now, apart from the Horned One, there is not much differamce yet...
Until we get to the Cavalry!

Horned One Cavalry!
My favorite cavalry unit IN THE GAME!
Fast, Fast Cavalry, Fear Causing, Cavalry!
They are strong, tough, and FAST!
Now, the riders are thier slight pitfall. Skinks are not over tough creatures, but what they lack in toughness, they make up for in Initiative. They will strike before most standard foot soldiers, and will carve them up with thier spears, which grant them S4 off the charge.
I recomend either Chotec or Sotek if you are taking a Spawning.
But, They are cheap!
they are over 30% cheaper than Saurus Cavalry!
I hope you learned something about the TURE greatest Lizardmen.

Old 03 May 2006, 17:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to smurf
Default Re: Why the Southland army is better than Lustria.

All of your points are fully valid, but entirely hero oriented.

Then you reach the core section..... Skinks.

Ill agree that they are good, but not for the basic troops. Theyre fast, and pretty good at guerilla shooting, but cant stand up to anything tougher than empire spearmen in combat. If you want saurus in this army you have to use one of your lord choices to get a scar vet. They dont have anyone else who can really hold their own in close combat.

If you list some ideas about how you use the skinks, ill concede to your point, but you dont give anything about the core
Nothing in life is forever, but none of your deeds were in vain
Deep in our hearts you will live again, you're gone to the home of the brave
R.I.P Kangaroo Joe
Old 03 May 2006, 20:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

True.
Skinks are very fast, and will get the charge off most of the time. But, I don't use them like that, unless I know they will win (i.e. weak core choices), but I use them to kill Big stuff.
The way I see it, the Skinks should always be shooting at 1 bs (-1 for 2 shots, and -1 for being more than half ways away) and the means 6s. Skinks are generally only good when they roll 6s, as they have poison.

That ank my list has 40 Skink Cavalry, and 100 Scouting Skinks. The Army of the Death Head Monoliths has yet to lose to a monster army (i.e. Orge Kingdoms ect.)
Old 04 May 2006, 18:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

See, huger maxed out infantry in southlands i like!!!
R.I.P Kangaroo Joe
Old 04 May 2006, 23:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Have you ever feilded a full southlands army at a tournament?
It is so funny to see the other player smile, saying "Dude, southlands suck" then after I set up with 141 skinks on the board, 100 of them scouting. They go bone white.

The Southlands is not an easy army to play mind you. 3 golden rules:
1. Skinks are only good becasue of poison - which is to say always fire 2 shots, regardless of modifyers (unless it means no shooting at all)
2. Quantity is it's own quality - Skinks are cheap. Field as many as you can, and ONLY use skinks. Monsters are for Lustria!
3. BLITZKRIEG! - Skinks are fast. Knock out the slower stuff with lighting fast Horned one Cav. and drop the heavy stuff with the blowpipe. Horned One Riders will gereally strike first, and if they charge, they get 20 S4 attacks off the charge, and will strike first against most foot slogers. Oh and did I mention they get to take Spawnings WITHOUT USING UP RARE SLOTS!

My rant.
Old 06 May 2006, 16:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

the thing is, that rank bonus is still a major part of combat, asnd is ignored by skirmishers, they dont get one. Against most units that puts them down by 3 from the beginning of the combat
R.I.P Kangaroo Joe
Old 06 May 2006, 22:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thats why you only charge with the cavalry, and you should kill the whole unit before they get to hit back.
Old 07 May 2006, 15:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

even cavalry cant wipe out a unit, and they may well get at least a couple of attacks back (hero's champions etc) They are fast cavalry, there are so many better things you could do than throw them into combat. Also, i just noticed
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mothman
I hate priests so I won't even get into them.
In that case you will only have one magic user, and in big enough games to use a slann i would often take a combined higher level than this.

And you cant kit all your chiefs out like that because you can only have one of each magic item
R.I.P Kangaroo Joe
Closed Thread