Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay thread
Old 18 Apr 2006, 21:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay thread

Hi!

For those of you who have not checked out, or heard of, this system, you're in luck!

After a bit of a hiatus, Black Industries (with help from Green Ronin) have been developing the new generation of the Fantasy Roleplay series for a while now, with the above core rulebook, a number of supplements for cities, states and various other bits and pieces, all of which can be seen here.

The most recent supplement has been the excellent book Knights of the Grail, a very useful guide to the Kingdom of Bretonnia!

Upcoming books include a guide to Mousillon, Barony of the Damned. Later this year will be a Skaven sourcebook, a guide and Talabheim and a sourcebook for the Border Princes - all listed at this link.

There are a bunch of sample and preview pdfs, as well as some aids and fan material to check out!

Oh, and a forum at the BI site, too.

I'm hoping that we can have one stickied thread with some basic information about the game syatem and its supplement books - which can be updated each time a new book is released - here. Also, I'd like to see a thread for each new supplement that comes out - people's feedback on it, the use they get out of it etc. Of course, threads about the background shown within, and for people's gaming experiences and ideas in the system, would be nice too!

Gary

Gue'senshi: The 1st Kleistian Grenadiers(edited on 06 April 2006)
v7.3 pdf

Human armed forces for the greater good.
Nerroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2006, 11:01   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay thread

Aha! WFRP! This game system is fantastic for anyone who wants a down-and-dirty look at the Old World. If you thought that Warhammer was dark before, then this will really open your eyes... that or put them out!

I still can't get over the "love potion". It shall forever be my favourite poison... yes, poison. Love potions in every other game make the drinker fall in love. This one causes internal burns, the resulting "stimulation" leaving them aroused and sensitive... oh, and it gives them The Clap. There's also a 50% chance, or there abouts, of the drinker dying because of it.

If that doesn't tell you everything you need to know about the Warhammer World, I don't know what will. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2006, 17:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to smurf

A lot of people seem to complain about the careers system, but personally i think it adds a really great element to the game. You cant say, Ah im going to be a ranger, with Dex 20 because im a poncy little halfling freddo (no references to Scout Sergeant Mkoll here, merely coincidence), and beg the DM to let me have a +5 composite longbow at level one, because i think i deserve it.
Instead, you end up as a Toll Keeper, a watchman, or if your really unlucky, a student.

Talk of a 40k version based around the same rules sounds great!
Nothing in life is forever, but none of your deeds were in vain
Deep in our hearts you will live again, you're gone to the home of the brave
R.I.P Kangaroo Joe
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2006, 00:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I had my first game of this just recently. I was a Bretonnian Knight of the Realm, joining a mixed band all drawn together for various reasons. They are all pretty extreme- for example, my squire is a vampire who is harder than me, even without any armour. We have a sort of Wallace and Gromit relationship, me declaring all the challenges, he doing the dirty work when my back is turned. Makes some pretty funny situations, such as:

The group turns up at an in-progress Chaos ritual. An old woman is performing the deed- being the evil hag that she is, I whip out my lance and charge. A Bloodletter leaps out in front of me, who promptly gets a lance tip to the face, and explodes via a lucky group of critical hits. I go on to slash another Bloodletter, then make for the hag and take off an arm.

Meanwhile, my squire goes hand-to-hand with another Bloodletter. A flying kick is deflected by it's armour, and it counter-attacks with it's axe. The squire parries 'Matrix Reloaded Neo' style with his hand, before pulling up a minotaur-sized great axe (he looted it beforehand), throwing it THROUGH the Bloodletter, and taking a leg off the hag.

Of course, my Knight saw none of this, and just assumed that a Bloodletter threw the axe... No-one has yet drawn blood from the squire, and Lady help the one who does! ;D
Old 08 Jul 2006, 22:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Luy22 Send a message via MSN to Luy22

I will sadly never understand how to play a pencil and paper style RPG game like WHFRP or D&D...
Only then your life I will save
Luy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2006, 09:14   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Very easy to play indeed, especially if you use models.

If not, imagination is sufficient, that and a DM who can give good descriptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2006, 22:22   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

yea ive played this a few times but im more of a D&D person.. it seems more indepth but im starting a warhammer army and i might start playing this aswell

willyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2006, 22:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Luy22 Send a message via MSN to Luy22

Nobody'd play with me if I got it lol. MMO RPing and Forum RPing are what I do lolz
Only then your life I will save
Luy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2008, 06:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

I've only just started seriously playing this recently, and we've had a blast. We've only run a couple sessions, but so far, we've had a botched robbery, a very rude Estalian dignitary (whose guard was cleverly dispatched with a rope), a statement-killing and pirate attacks. It's a great game.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote