Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting Fantasy
Closed Thread
Old 31 Mar 2006, 05:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Starting Fantasy

Hey everyone. I think I'll start Fantasy with the birthday money I get in a couple months, but I was unsure about it.

I currently play 40k, and enjoy the game quite a bit, but decided that I'd give Fantasy a go.

Could you maybe give me a breif rundown of each army? Like the pros and cons?

I like fast close combat armies, with some shooting and magic power backing them up. What army do you think fits me best? Suggestions? Tips?

Thanks,
Ben
Old 31 Mar 2006, 05:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Starting Fantasy

Whats up IamAngel, thinking of starting Fantasy eh? Well, I thought the same thing a while ago.
When i tried to decide which army, I took a look at the Warhammer fantasy website. Take the intro/tour to Warhammer fantasy, on the tour they're will be a small section about each army, the pros and cons, the playstyle, and a little bit of its fluff.

here is the link:
http://us.games-workshop.com/games/w...osing_army.htm

enjoy
From the adventures of Tiny tim and Wargamer, a epic story.
AIM: CreepyDope

Armies I'd like to start next:
Imperial Guard
Tyranid
Orkz
Old 31 Mar 2006, 16:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well my friend for Fast close army with back up you have, the Elfs (Dark elfs, Wood elfs, High Elfs), as well Bretonia wich is almost only cavalry (quite fast dude) , Skaven if you like numbers to and very powerfull magic > (is a very fun army to play with ).

This are the fast armies really, no other armies are this fast, i will say bretonia will be the faster of all as they have lots of cavalry and pegasy units, strong charges and nice good rule for cavalry (the arrow formation), good strong army.

Elfs are fast for nature, good speed and good at combat to, hard to use of course as they are very fragile (they are elfs) :P, Eather of the elf races will be a good choise, but be pacient if you want to play with them you will need some time to catch their atile of play.

Skaven, well, numbers, not that much powefull close combat units with the exception of 1 or 2 but can shoot really strong and their magic is great >, the jezzails are great and you never have enough of them, skaven is open for diferent options tanks to the clans and diferent army compositions, but the must important is very fun to play with them even is lose.

This is my point of you, i play Dark elfs, as well the seconday army the cult of slanessh and looking forward to skaven.

Cheers hope this helps for you.

"Burn the witch and kill the heretic"
Old 31 Mar 2006, 20:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ogres.

They're fast since almost everything in the army has movement 6".

They have some nasty magic, that can make their troops even better though it does ocasionally backfire rather spectacularly.

They don't have a lot of shooting, but what they have is good. Leadbelchers can disolve enemy units in a hail of shrapnel and the scraplauncher is just terrifying with a 5" Killing Blow template.

As for close combat you won't find anyone much better than an Ogre. You're basic troops are Strength/Tougness 4 with 3 wounds and 3 attacks each!

So strap on a gutplate, grab a club and start worshiping the Great Maw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 01 Apr 2006, 04:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think I might start Dark Elves, Brettonian, Hoards of Chaos, or Lizardman.

Thanks for all the info,
Ben
Old 01 Apr 2006, 18:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman

A Kroq-Gar Lizardmen army is the most powerful Cavalry army. Who can say no to the hardest hitting Cavalry in the Game as a core choice?
With a good charge range, and one heak of a powerful hit off of the charge.
Level 2 Wizards with the Lore of Heavens? Yes!
Skinks are fast, and can come in massive hordes. 2 x Multiple Shots with poisoned? What can move in hindered though water feature and get soft cover from it? Plus they are Skrimishers! In water, or forest they are -2 to hit! They can scout for +1 pt. Need I say more?
The Slann Mage Priest are the best Magic casters in the whole game. They can have spells from upto 6 Lores (Plaque of Tepok, and 3rd, or 2nd generation spawing) at +1 to all atempts to cast or or dispel. They have massive amounts of wounds, and very tough.

Go lizards! (plus they are sweeeeeeet looking models)

The Lizardman
Old 01 Apr 2006, 20:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

For fast and strong i will say take Dark Elfs ;D, or bretonians, lizardmen and Chaos are strong indeed but they are slow compare to the other two ^-^, i my self will say stay with the Dark elfs ;D, (i play them of course) and if you are atracted by chaos a little turne around with the army to go cult of slaneesh ;D.

Eather one one you chose is good but take a very good look first berofe you decide.

Cheers.
Old 04 Apr 2006, 20:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Dark Elves Cult of Slaanesh is currently interesting me the most right now; however, I still need to pick up the rule book! I buy it, and read some of the rules and the such before I make my final decision.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 05 Apr 2006, 18:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius

Cult of slaanesh mixes some very heavy hitting powerfull chaos troops (slow, but nasty, tough, ultimate combat fighters but high cost) and dark elves (fast, skilled, good shoooting - something chaos don't normally have. Some new units like the druchii anointed make for good conversions, plus the army has a wicked feel to it, definately one of my avourites.

-The Bleak Assassin-
Closed Thread