Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

im starting fantasy soon, EZ but important question
Closed Thread
Old 29 Mar 2006, 21:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Yoriaki
Default im starting fantasy soon, EZ but important question

Hello. i have been playing 40k for a little bit, i have an understanding of the rules, but i wanna start a second army. there is nothign else i like, so im starting FANTASY.

my only problem is, i dont like any fantasy armies :-[ :-[ :-[

so, my solution was to make alot of conversions. what i was thinking of was an asian/japanese based army.

basicly using samurai and either archers or rifle men as my core units. mounted samurai and more experianced samurai or ninja as specials. either a lord being like an emperor or a super skilled samurai.

also for some rare units having a group of ronin, elite bands of ninja, or some kind of Oni or Demon, or maybe a dragon.

but the thing i need to ask, is what army would be enough like the guys above to use as a force? i dont want to make a whole army as my first army i play.
i just want to convert my guys, make them cooler and look how i want. im not into knights or anything, IMO japan rules.

the other part of my question is, does anyone have any idea's how i would go about converting to make these sort of guys.

plz answer as best u can, and thx in advance.

If your taught to love everyone, even your enemies, then what value is put on love?
Old 29 Mar 2006, 21:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to flowerfall
Default Re: im starting fantasy soon, EZ but important question

skaven have ninja troops. I like skaven. Clan Eshin has a Skirmishing rule which is rather close to playing 40k with a Hybrid of Nids and Orks. Horde Army with crude weapons.
Old 29 Mar 2006, 21:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

i dont mean units like my force.

i mean a force like my force. i dotn want to take guys from brets, another from wood elves, and 3 more from lizardmen.

its because i play with somone who wont alow it. he doesnt like it when i make anythign that doesnt follow rules. because he always thinks everything is out to put him at a dissadvantage.

actualy i was looking at the bretonians. they seem alot like samurai and the force i want. but im nnot sure about any skills or stats.

i was thinking mounted samurai as knights of the realm, some foot samurai for men at arms bowmen as bowmen (obviose) maybe some elite samurai as questing knites, and some riding japanese monsters of some sort inplace of pegasis knites.

for ninja i was thinking of using mounted yeoman. ninja shuld be fast, so they could move like being mounted. but im not sure if they fit the stat lines.

grail knites of coarse would just be stronger samurai.

also this would be EZ to convert, they already have a good resemblance, just get some green stuff, make some shoulder pads, curve their swords and im set.

If your taught to love everyone, even your enemies, then what value is put on love?
Old 30 Mar 2006, 19:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

you can use to the empire rules, its flexible, good units and lots of diferent strategies, you have mounte knights, (for mounted samurais) warriors on foot (for samurais on foot of course), Smirmish units (for ninjas), Bowmans and Riflemans, this will make a better suitable army rule for your taste, even their is rumors of the Army of Cathai wich will be actually the Asian kind of army for when the 7 edition comes out but their is nothing sure yet, with samurais, ninjas, monks, Etc.

I just burning to see this army comes out ;D

Cheers ;D
Old 03 Apr 2006, 17:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

what do u mean a new set of them? like a new bunch of guys? or is this like a 40k chaos thing? were u are chaos, but u can be khorn, slanesh, etc.???

if so can sombody give me a link to be able to see the didffwerent variations of the imperium army?

also, i was thinking about using impire for them. i thought they would be easy to convert, they have gunmen and bowmen, and free company is just begging to be ronin.

but i wasnt sure about there stats. samurai shuld be pretty good-realy good. and impire seems like a streigth in numbers kinda army, were brets seem like they have mall but strong forces.

well the question i need to ask is, in fantasy are stats pretty much the same as in 40k??

like Str 5 in 40k is as valuable to have i fantasy? not in then sence that ST is used as much.

its realy hard to explain for me, but if i guy had a roll of

WS3 BS3 S3 T3 W1 A1 I5 LD 8

that would be good as an infantry in 40k, would thta be good as an infantry in fantasy? or would that be an increadably strong guy or an increadbly weak guy?

if u understand what im aasking anwser plz.

Old 03 Apr 2006, 18:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

It sounds like you might want to use high elves.

They're basic soldiers have great stats, but they're expensive and few in number.

These could represent well trained spearmen and samurai bowmen.

The samurai could easily be represented by Swordmasters of Hoeth (a special choice, with great weapons and Ws: 6! They're the best swordsmen in the whole warhammer world!)

You could use dragon princes and silver helms as mounted samurai.

Finally you could use repeater bolt throwers to represent rocket batteries.

And hey you could even take a samurai riding a dragon as your general.

Edit:

WOO HOO! 500 posts! I kick some serious ass.

Done now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 03 Apr 2006, 18:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

i was honeslty just thinking about that.

i probly will use a high elf army list, they do seem alot like wht i want.

but im not too sure. they have alot of things alot like a japanese samurai army, sword masters are best u say, they have bowmen (whiuch already look asian with there long robes)
the shadow gusy could be my ninja, Imirk could be converted to a eastern dragon,
they have spearmen, and they would all be a realy easy conversion.

but, bretonians have a real feel for me. they seem more likly to work. being human, it doesnt seem as much of i made a japanese army, morelike im using a japanese army.

im going to go down to GW and look at the stats. but also, will GW alow me to play a bretonian army list with converted high elves if i use the rules of a bretonian?

Old 03 Apr 2006, 21:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The problem with using Bretonnian rules for Nipponese samurai (Nippon is the equivalent of Japan in the Warhammer World) is that samurai are as likely to be archers as swordsmen/spearmen - Bushido is the way of the bow and arrow, after all! Bretonnian knights, in contrast, don't do bows, as they consider it distasteful. Plus, Sengoku Jidai era Japan had ashigaru with guns - which Brets would definitely not go for at all!

With human armies, you'd probably have more luck using Dogs of War or Empire as the basis of your conversion, as you can have your gunpowder troops and half-decent support (ashigaru weren't as starved as Bretonnian peasants are!).

If you don't mind going with the pointy-ears, a High Elf force set in one of the outposts in the East (you'll see them in the High Elf book) could easily be styled as a samurai force - a sign of extensive trade with the Nipponese, no doubt!

Gary

Gue'senshi: The 1st Kleistian Grenadiers(edited on 06 April 2006)
v7.3 pdf

Human armed forces for the greater good.
Old 03 Apr 2006, 21:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius

I would suggest elves most definately....

Wood elves have the very sword feel - wardancers, etc. with lots of archers, plus dragons and you could use demons as treemen instead.

High elves have lots of archers also, with some good swordsmen - swordmasters of hoeth, phoenix guardians, lion hunters, etc. Chariots dragons and magic! PLenty of horse riders

Dark elves have the more ninja feel to them with assassins and witch elves, but they have crossbowmen instead - cho kno knu - plus cavalry in the form of big lizards - option for convershion.

Those i'd primarily go with, as empire may rely upon gunpowder also.

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 05 Apr 2006, 00:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

how would i go about converting them? any sugestions???

if i used the brets i was thinking of giving my foot samurai bamboo shades from those wide rimmed helmets they wear, by using green stuff.

but what other idea's can you guys give me? what mitireals should i use other than green stuff?

also, any sugestions on how to make a japanese castle?

MODIFIED

i found these pictures of famos japanese castles, any idea's wehat i could use to make one?
also tell me what one would be best for a WFB? it shuld be good looking and functional.

http://oak.zero.ad.jp/~zbm39264/ken/.../pht/p1401.jpg
http://www.mgu.ac.jp/~jfmorris/Senda...ics/Himeji.jpg
http://oak.zero.ad.jp/~zbm39264/ken/sec5/rm4/p1401e.htm

http://oak.zero.ad.jp/~zbm39264/ken/sec5/rm4/p1403e.htm

Closed Thread