Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Chaos Lord ideas
Closed Thread
Old 27 Feb 2006, 01:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Chaos Lord ideas

http://uk.games-workshop.com/hordeso...ure-gallery/7/

I think this model would be d**n near perfect. Put him on a horse and file off the slaaneshy markings and the traffic cone sticking out of his chest and i'd be set.

Chaos Lord
-Halberd
-barded Chaos Steed
-Rune Shield (turns magic weapons into standard versions of themselves)
-Spell Familiar (+ 1 Spell)
-Mark of Tzeentch
445pts

1+ save, five strength 6 sttacks, a 5+ ward from his Chosen's banner, or his own spells, 5 spells, and the ability to reduce 75 pt magical weapons to crappy hand weapons. I think its better this way (especially the extra spell!)

I could add Gaze of the gods (4+ Ward) for 30 pts, or maybe even a Mirror of Knowledge (I see a units magic gear) for 20 pts. I think the latter is much better off on a standard bearer though. Basicly this lord could ride up with a unit of Chosen Chaos Knights, and I could challenge that nasty Elector Count w/ his 100pt Rune Fang sword to combat, then turn it to a hand weapon and smash his face in with 5 str 6 attacks. Hopefully rerolling to hit, to wound, and all my saves, including ward. (Orange Fire of Tzeentch spell.)
Old 27 Feb 2006, 01:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman
Default Re: Chaos Lord ideas

Bah, Kroq-Gar would smoke that wussy!
(Hides behind tough exterior, while quivering inside)
That is actually scary!
Old 27 Feb 2006, 02:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I was looking at all this anti magic weapon gear, and I was also looking at the leader stats, when I realised that a Halberd was basicly a sword of Might for over 10 points less. And that a Chaos lord with those stats can kill just about anything. Chaos lacks any definitive "must have" gear for my tastes weapons wise. Thats when I realise most other players take a 50-75 pt magic weapon in many cases. One I could disable then beat down with my halberd. Even Archaon isn't nearly as deadly without the Slayer of Kings.

What also makes him scary is that this lord is imbedded in a unit of Chosen Chaos Knights with a banner that gives the entire unit a 5+ ward save. Its an enormous hail of high strength, high WS, high init attacks. And this is before the hail of Magic Missiles and other nastieness my lord can inflict. With 5 spells its impossible for me not to get the majority of my favorite spells.

with 1+ saves and 5+ Wards all around if you put enough effort into killing this unit... the rest of my army will be almost entirely intact by the time you are done. Not a pretty picture is it?
Old 27 Feb 2006, 21:04   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman

Yeah, That would beat me lizards to pulp.

The Mothman
Old 01 Mar 2006, 15:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Anyone have any advice on other gear I could kit my lord out with?
Old 01 Mar 2006, 20:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Location: I live in the real world, a place you will never see, since you are stuck in a prison: a prison before your mind, a prison i like to call: The Matrix. You're not missing much.
Send a message via MSN to i dont play 40k

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but you can't have S6 attacks and a 1+ save at the same time, as a halberd is two-handed whilst a shield... you get the picture. I don't have my army book with me, but I also think the runeshield only works if you are in base contact with their characters. Also, what banner gives a 5+ ward to the unit? Apart from that, a very nice combination of a lord. If you're going for the anti character formation (expensive but effective), perhaps giving it a weapon instead of the halberd would be more effective, you'd get to use your runeshield and your weapon that way. Perhaps a soul cleaver, or maybe even a rending sword (if you can afford it). It might be worth going with a sword of might, but this seems geared to take out the big guys so that probably wouldn't quite cut it. Gaze of the Gods would be good, but this model has got to be able to gain it's points back, and if it is not able to cause carnage it may not be that effective. Looks good though!
Old 01 Mar 2006, 22:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

actually, from what I can tell it is indeed a 1+ save. Shields always grant +1 armor, + 2 is the one that only applies w/ hand weapons. If this wasn't the case I doubt cavalry lances or spears would be used much in any army... Chaos Armor + barded steed + shield= 1+ save. As for the banner, that would be the Blasted Standard it uses the Yellow Fire of Tzeentch as a bound spell. I'm playing in a SL tournament, so its part of the theme to have a majorly equiped leader.
Old 02 Mar 2006, 22:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Elcampbello

Can you even use a halbered when mounted? I was under the impression it was an infantry only weapon. And on the same lines, two hand weapons when mounted?
Old 03 Mar 2006, 02:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

yes and yes. They're both listed as options with no ifs ands or buts about it.
Old 05 Mar 2006, 15:50   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

You can use the halberd while mounted but the halberd requires two hands to use so in combat if you choose to use the halberd you CANNOT use the shield. Unless you have three arms.

Try giving him a gread weapon and helm of many eyes, and just hope he isn't stupid to often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Closed Thread