Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

new to fantasy, am playing wood elves.
Closed Thread
Old 26 Feb 2006, 02:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Yoriaki
Default new to fantasy, am playing wood elves.

hello, im new to fantasy so i have some questions. also i have some army questions.

first, how different is fantasy from 40k? what are the differences? is there any rules changed?

for my army, how do i start it? what are good models? shuld i get the battilion or just get guys?

If your taught to love everyone, even your enemies, then what value is put on love?
Old 26 Feb 2006, 11:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Stooga
Default Re: new to fantasy, am playing wood elves.

Some answers in no particular order:

1) Read the rule book.

2) A wood elf army is probably the army that plays most like a 40k army, with skirmishers (read the rule book), lots of shooting, and fast skirmisher assault troops. However, they are also quite good at magic (read the rule book)

3) Read the rule book, then read the wood elf army book. Decide what you want and how you want to play with the army. If you don't have the patience for that, the battallion would probably work as it gives you everything you need for a small force. If you don't get the battallion, make sure you get one hero-like guy (wizard, hero or big tree) and some regulars (elves with bows, elves on horses, trees.) Don't run around buying random blisters of different regiments if you don't know how many you should have (if any)

4) Even though it might be large and thick, read the rule book. And the wood elf army book. (which isn't large or thick.)
Old 26 Feb 2006, 20:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman

I agree with Stooga on 1, but for every thing else, change wood elves to lizard men, (Lizzies have BETTER magic, assault troops, flankers and tougher troops, but the elves have better (longer) shooting, but the lizardmen have blowpipes, 2 shots, S as user, poisoned, 12", on either BS3 or 4 as Stalker Skinks are uber killers (-2 to BS when shooting at them (Chamilion, ans Skimisher) BUT they are expensive point wise, they they have never let me down, while the elves are little weaklings! Saraus can even Krump Chaos warriors in CC who can sau no to 2 S4 attacks (or 3 if you have spear and get charged or charge with Sotek Spawning)

The Mothman
Old 26 Feb 2006, 21:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Stooga

Well, the fact is, and this is a scientifically proven fact, Lizardmen aren't very fun. Wood elves, despite their giggle-inducing name, have very good looking models (to be GW produced models at least), and include walking trees. With ward saves (read the rule book) and causing fear (read..)

Well...

I haven't actually played Wood Elves. But Yoriaki, I'm very sure hopping frogs with blowpipes isn't your thing.
Old 26 Feb 2006, 22:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman

YOU HAD BETTER NT BE FLAMING MY LIZARDMEN! THEY WILL COME FOR YOU IN THE NIGHT!

They are a very fun army to play, the models are great! Lots of converion opertunities, and a great army to play with the cold blooded rule (and who need a ward save when your Wizard is a standar level four that that can know 4 differnt lores? And be an army standard, and with a cheap upgrade get no miscastes and know 5 spells for under 500 pts? YES PLEASE

(oh and they are not frogs buddy, Im a frog. They are lizards.)

The Mothman of BA
Old 27 Feb 2006, 01:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

.... anyway, back on subject. You know, the WOOD ELVES. My only bit of advice is to remember one thing- 40K and fantasy are different. The Rule book is vital.

I've read the Wood Elf book and they seem almost similar to Biel Tan Eldar in a way- vengeful, xenophobic warrior filled elves. The Battle Force box set is the way to go definately, however you might want to look very closely at your book before playing, as your style of Hero can make the difference.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/woodelv...ing-started/1/

an ok link

http://uk.games-workshop.com/woodelves/tactica/1/

and the god of Wood Elf links. Enjoy.
Old 27 Feb 2006, 20:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Yoriaki

thx. i was gonn a buy the rule book any who, but i wanted to know how different the game is...

and im not being dumb lizard men i dont want an army of eguana's (u know what im trying to spell)

lizard men have nothing on wood elves (going by looks here)

thx for some help, but does anyone have a non GW tactica? all games workshop does is complemennt there guys, they dont give any real advice rather then "they are unperreled fighters" they just tell ur their good points, and say that their downfalls realy dont matter becasue everything else dovers that up...

If your taught to love everyone, even your enemies, then what value is put on love?
Closed Thread