Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

2000 pt Dogs of War
Closed Thread
Old 25 Jan 2006, 22:48   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default 2000 pt Dogs of War

Well I'm doing a bit of a spanish-themed Dogs of War army (mainly due to the Empire models I'm using), with lots of pikes, and a bit of cav counter-charge. I'm deliberatly avoiding using "ab-humans" because they don't really fit in with how the army looks.

Anyway, without any more rambling, here it is:

2000 pt Dogs of War

LORDS

Mercinary General with Sword of Battle, Lance, Heavy Armour, Enchanted Shield, Tailsman of Protection, mounted on a Barded Warhorse. General.
Total: 173 pts
Joins Heavy Cavalry unit

HEROES

Paymaster with Greatweapon and Crossbow.
Total: 69 pts
Joins one of the crossbowmen units

CORES

25 Pikemen with Full Command.
Total: 280 pts

10 Crossbowmen
Total: 80 pts

10 Crossbowmen
Total: 80 pts

10 Duellists with Pistols
Total: 90 pts

5 Light Cavalry with Spears, Bows and musician
Total: 95 pts

5 Light Cavalry with Spears, Bows and musician
Total: 95 pts

8 Heavy Cavalry with Barding and Full Command.
Total: 213 pts

RARE

1 Cannon
Total: 85 pts

GRAND TOTAL: 2000 pts exactly

Army Composition:

[table][tr][td]Unit type[/td][td]Points[/td][td]Percent[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Characters[/td][td]242 pts[/td][td]12.1%[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Core[/td][td]1673 pts[/td][td]83.65%[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Special[/td][td]0 pts[/td][td]0%[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Rare[/td][td]85 pts[/td][td]4.25%[/td][/tr][/table]

Models in army: 130 infantry, 19 cavalry (inc characters)
Dispel pool: 2

This army can be either defencive or offencive, the pikes either staying stationary or advancing, with the heavy cav and duellists providing counter-charge and flank protection for the pike units, while the fast cav go mage/warmachine hunting, and the xbows and cannon provide a little bit of covering fire.

The only major weakness I can see with this army is against magic-heavies, such as Lizardmen, HE, TK or VC. One possibility would be to drop a pike unit and pick up 2 lvl1 mages one with Staff of sorcery, and the 2nd with 2 dispel scrolls (or else both with dispel scrolls), and a halfling hot pot (not anti-magic, but still fun ).
That would bump my dispel dice up to 4, plus adding in 2-4 dispel scrolls. Not much, especially against something that is kicking out 10+ power dice, but it might help. What do you think would be more useful: 25 pikes, or 2 scroll caddies + Hot pot?

Another question: What would make good models for the Fast Cavalry? I'm thinking I'll probably have to convert them somehow, because Empire don't have any light cav with spears, and the brett yeoman look like bretonnians, while just about every other model in my army is from the Empire range. One possibility could be using Empire Knight legs with swordsmen torsos, and converting up some spears similar to my pikes. But that would get pretty expencive, having to buy a couple of boxes of empire knights, plus get the horses, and another box of halbardiers/swordsmen. And bitz order isn't really an option, as I live in Australia, so I'd have to order from the UK.

Eller

Webcomics that are t3h 0\/\/n4g3:
Megatokyo - Relax, we understand j00
Ctrl+Alt+Del - Tragically l33t
Nuclear Power - Home of 8-bit Mage
VG Cats

Nothing says "I hate you!" like a demolisher shell to the face.
Old 26 Jan 2006, 00:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq
Default Re: 2000 pt Dogs of War

The army seems good.

I love Dogs of War, by far my fave Fantasy army.

I do think you should take those level 1 mages with scrolls. A Hot-pot would go down well in the army too.

I really wouldn't put something as important as the Paymaster with your Crossbows, it makes him too vulnerable. Plus If your advancing you will want his LD re-rolls to be in with the thick of the action. He gives a nice little extra punch to Pike units and they in turn keep him safe.

If you are going with an Estalian [Spanish] Dogs of War, then I would suggest using the Crossbowmen from Pirazzos Lost Legion as your crossbow units and the Pikemen from the same unit as your pike squads.

Kislev Winged Lancers or Horse Archers make decent Light Cav models. You'd probably be best with a mix of both in your units as you have both spears and bows.

Just a suggestion. But I find a Champion in the Pistol Duellists squads go a long way in increasng unit effeciency.

Old 26 Jan 2006, 00:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'm quite new to Fantasy, but I do like the list - I was actually making my own tonight, as well!

From what I do know, I agree with veq - with the sheer volume of troops you can field, one unit won't go amiss, and you can bulk up on something you need but lack.
Old 26 Jan 2006, 00:57   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arguleon-veq
I do think you should take those level 1 mages with scrolls. A Hot-pot would go down well in the army too.
Alrighty, I'll drop one of the pike units, take 2 lvl 1 mages with 2 scrolls each, and a hot-pot.

Quote:
I really wouldn't put something as important as the Paymaster with your Crossbows, it makes him too vulnerable. Plus If your advancing you will want his LD re-rolls to be in with the thick of the action. He gives a nice little extra punch to Pike units and they in turn keep him safe.
Ok, if I put him in with a pike unit, I have 24 pts for all his equipment, and if I dropped the Tailsman from the General (is the 6+ ward that useful?) I would get 39 pts. Does anyone know if the Pike of Remas in Army Builder is an official weapon? It just says Trial Rules, and doesn't give a referance where it came from. I think that would probably make a pretty decent weapon for him if he was in a pike unit, otherwise I'd probably go the Sword of Might. Would it be a better idea having the Enchanted Shield on the General (for a 1+ save), or shift it over to the Paymaster if he ends up getting the Sword of Might (for a 3+/2+ shooting/CC save)?

Quote:
If you are going with an Estalian [Spanish] Dogs of War, then I would suggest using the Crossbowmen from Pirazzos Lost Legion as your crossbow units and the Pikemen from the same unit as your pike squads.
I'm using Empire Halbardiers with lengthened halbards (ie I drilled out the halbard shafts and stuck in a 10 cm piece of wire with a halbard head) for the pikemen, and I'll be using empire detachments for both the duellists and crossbowmen.

Quote:
Kislev Winged Lancers or Horse Archers make decent Light Cav models. You'd probably be best with a mix of both in your units as you have both spears and bows.
Kislev are a possibility, although I don't think I'll be using Winged Lancers, 'cause they have a fair bit of armour on them, while light cav are armourless. I don't think it'd be too hard to drill out the scimitars on the Horse Archers and replace them with spears, though. It's just I have a feeling that my GW store might have stopped selling Kislev units...

Quote:
Just a suggestion. But I find a Champion in the Pistol Duellists squads go a long in increaisng unit effeciency.
A possibility, but I don't really have 30 pts left over to give them champions. I don't want to make the xbos or duellists any smaller than 10 each, and 25 is really the smallest sized units I want for the pikes.

Eller

Webcomics that are t3h 0\/\/n4g3:
Megatokyo - Relax, we understand j00
Ctrl+Alt+Del - Tragically l33t
Nuclear Power - Home of 8-bit Mage
VG Cats

Nothing says "I hate you!" like a demolisher shell to the face.
Closed Thread