Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Lizardmen,advice needed!
Closed Thread
Old 24 Jan 2006, 16:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Lizardmen,advice needed!

well,ive made 40k lizardmen...and now,or since like a year ago,ive started my fantasy army of lizardmen,yet,havnt got long into it yet. i got a salamander with handlers,24 un-assembled skink skirmishers,and a skink priest. what units,and how many units of each,and how many models in each regiment do u recomend? i plan to get at least two saurus regiments,about 16 each. and other units,like 2 more salamanders for that unit too. but what else? how to do the army most effective?...

i need the most an army that are effective against vampire counts!,since my friend (stooga on this forum) fields them.

thx
-Scizor
Old 25 Jan 2006, 15:03   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Lizardmen,advice needed!

You asked for most effective so....

Slann with 2+ ward save.
2 skink priests
saurus vetran 9 inch move.

skinks
swarms

terradons
kroxigor
possably saurus cav with item of movement in magic phase.

6 salamanders

You hide wizzards in woods all game and cast life and heavens magic. And shoot. You never enter combat or let opponent enter combat with you.

I would only use this army if you know your opponents use hard armys or if you are going to a tornament.
Old 25 Jan 2006, 20:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius

I don't know quite how far into your reading of lizzie books and BRB you've gotten, however, like play better said, there are some nifty options available to lizardmen, against vampire counts...

Well, I love skinks, for so little point with poisened blow pipes, in mass numbers they can cause all kinds of havoc. Saurus are some of the most fearsome basic infantry in the game, pure bred killing machines, I'd suggest giving them hand weapons and shields, +2 armour save in combat over a spear, and the same number of attacks if you charge...which is what you'll probably want to do. As you can see, these two core units cn be used in different quantities depending upon your style of play.

Salamanders, your only problem, they like the taste of skink and have a tendancy to eat their handlers.... kroxigors are very nasty weapons of doom, however, they're also magnets for incoming enemy fire most of the time, being a fair few points in small units. However the ability to run through an unbroken skink unit can make for some nasty tactics.

Terradons have brilliant hit and run rules, used fantasticly for hunting or in conjuncture with a whole lot of skinks. Chameleon skins on the other hand I wouldnt waste your time!

Stegadon is one nasty living warmachine, death incarnate, with the stegadon ripping all to shreds, it also has attacks coming from the skinks. It provides the lizardmen their only long range artillery,however for that many points, think carefully. In my opinion, it makes for a nice use as a central hub of your army. Saurus cavalry are some of the nasties in the game, make no doubt (the new lustria models also look AMAZING) but for a lot of points per model, plus they provide some fast moving danger to your enemy, which can aactually hit hard.

caracters - saurus caharacters are fantastic. Skinks in mass with the use of a slann means no one is safe due to telepathy, and the slann can be made into ultimate killers with each generation, immense defences and the temple guard to boot, be warned they'll use lots of your points and even start taking rare slots, etc. The battle orientated characters are plain killers, when leaing a unit they make a great boost, versatile to provide a real edge. On their own, especially with a carnosaur, they reak death, plainly.

I havent answered you question though: against VC:

Lots of sarus to make a base, hand weapons and shields. Mix them with some kroxigors to add some strength. Use this as a moveable base, keep going forward. While this occurs, use some skinks on the flanks to dash ahead, these will draw attention from your base plus haras the poorly armoured VC with poison. Some salamanders would provide good approaching fire with a good edge in combat. I'd not take terradons myself, nor a stegadon. I wouldn't even take cavalry, the VC wont really out manouvre you, and with a strong base you can afford to let them come to you.

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 26 Jan 2006, 14:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

well,i havnt played any games yet,and ive just got skinks,and one salamander.and i got the army book of course,and a skink priest.

and,i will follow the advice to use alot of saurus as core force,and maybe a saurus hero?(scar veteran).il use my skinks too,and salamander,kroxigors,yes. swarms too i think,maybe a carnosaur later on
Old 26 Jan 2006, 22:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

When you keep reading, you'll encounter spawnings, it means you can make a nice varied army of saurus out of spwanings, the first spawning making them special, the 2nd making them rare. Spawnings can really make a big difference to the model, and can also be given to characeters.

Spwanings can make saurus have +1 attack when charging, helpfull for your front liners, or the ability to move through jungle and woods with no penalties.

The character can be given these spawnings also, on top of magical items. They are some of the best fighters in the game and merged with a unit of saurus provides an immense assault.

The carnasaur is particularly adapted to taking out the extra large models such as dragons, beasts, monsters, and large target. It's also a pretty good killing machine in general, though bllod frenzy is nan interesting rule. Once it tastes blood it goes nuts on lust, so must charge however gets b+1 attack.

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 27 Jan 2006, 11:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

yeh,ive read the spawnings,i think i will at least have a regiment of Sotek maybe more spawnings
Old 27 Jan 2006, 18:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, lizardmen can be quite a boring army to paint, with spawnings, you'll not only add some differentiation to your units as in rule/stat wise, but also add some diffferentiation to your models aswell!

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 28 Jan 2006, 20:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

http://invisionfree.com/forums/Thee_...ex.php?act=idx

Awesome lizzy site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
You scare me.
And, as always, I support proxies and make-your-own figures.
Old 29 Jan 2006, 21:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

have been playing lizardmen for 2 years now.

i have 3 units of 10 skinks, 2 skink priest, 2 saurus character (1 on a carnosaur for those fun games), 2 units of 16 saurus, 6 Cold one riders, 3 salamanders, and 3 terradons, 4 swarms, and 3 kroxigors...

bascially this gives me all the flexibility I need at any point scale.

IMO the must haves are:
-skinks at least 2 units, just because they are the best scouts in warhammer.
- swarms: 3 of them makes a hefty 15 wounds, and 15 poisonned attacks (that's at least 2 automatic wounds when you roll to hit), unbreakable...amazng how i rely on the swarms to keep a side of the table free from flank charge.
- salamanders: very few lizardmen player don't like them. Your opponent wil learn to hate them. They are awesome war machine that can skirmish and move 12. they are also very good in combat.

the should haves
- saurus warriors: only a should because you can play without in small games 500-1000 but above 1000, they are a must-haves. The spawning are useful but quickly become a point sink. The only spawning I generally take is quetzl for a +1AS and tepok for a +1 dispel dice which can be used as power dice with a diadem of power.
- terradons: very quick to get to small characters and war machines, but i generally trust my scout skinks to do a better job at it.

The unsure units:
- kroxigors: can be awesome, with S7 they will tear up anything, but they often loose because of combat resolution, and end up running away.
- Cold one riders: same problem, good hitting unit, but that is about it. only a 3+ save means that they are very fragile, quite expensive as well.

The no-nos:
stegadons: because they get targeted by the enemy artillery and eventually die on you before you've had a chance to do much with it.
chameleons: because they get too close and end up burned.

As far as slann and temple guards are concerned, I have never used them because I am really bad at magic. i prefer to stick with something that is reliable (combat) and generally opt for a lord on a carnosaur (awesome model too).

Hope that helps.

but visit the lizardmen forum, i am a member and although it is not as good as tauonline ;D it is very useful to get some pointers on lizardmen.
Old 30 Jan 2006, 12:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

cool,thx for all the advice,il try what fits my army best.i hope it works good against vampire counts