Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Newbie question (dwarves)
Closed Thread
Old 24 Dec 2005, 21:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Newbie question (dwarves)

I picked up the dwarf army box, because I won some money in my office fantasy football league.

So I have all these warriors. And I'm not really sure how to make them. Not how to assemble them, but what options to give them. I've never played fantasy, so I just don't know what's worthwhile.

I know I want to make one of the sets into Bugman's retinue, because I have the Bugman figure from my trip to Warhammer World last year. So that means they're going to need great weapons. Is it worth it to also give them shields? What about the throwing axes? Are they worth the points?

How many is too many in a unit? Should I make all 32 of my warriors into one unit? Is there some optimal size that people tend to use?

Any advice here is welcome. Thanks.

Old 25 Dec 2005, 17:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius
Default Re: Newbie question (dwarves)

Well....

You'll have to buy the dwarf army book, if you havent already got it, and sometime you'll have to read over the rules for Warhammer...

Right, down to business..

1) if they've got great axes, then shields can't be used in conjunction with them while in combat. As a great weapon requires 2 hands, the shields will be slung on their back, so you'll get no bonuses. However, you can use it while being shot at (either magically or mundanely) and also opt to use a hand weapon and shield combo instead of just the great weapon, however, you'll be swapping +2 Strength for a +2 armour save...up to you.

2) throwing axes..well, im not too knoweledgeable on the dwarf specifics, however, throwing axes arent that wow..it better to consolidate the points and get some thunderers or crossbowdwarves instead...atleast thats my opinion, those other guys are much more efficent at ranged fighting.

3) how many is too many, well, the minimum is only 10 ... so 32 is way too much. you'd be limiting their diversity, and where they could go while also bottling them up. 2 units of 16 is a better bet if you want to use all your models, however I like front ranks of 5, so generally only ever use 15 models in a unit. This smaller number means you can share your unit where it is needed, and if one gets destroyed, theres another so your losses arent quite as great. Some people will probably disagree, but thats my two pence, the final decision is yours...

Hope i've been somewhat helpfull...good luck!

De'l

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 26 Dec 2005, 05:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ya, I already have both the army book, and the warhammer book, and I've read the rules. It's more a question about what has been proven effective.

If it were you, would you pay points for shields for a unit equipped with great weapons? I realize the shields aren't going to be used in close combat. Is the save bonus (isn't it just +1) against shooting worth the point cost?

The reason I asked about numbers in the units is the same. 16 gives you 4x4. 15 gives you 5x3, but you're missing a rank bonus there. What about 20? That's 5x4 - is that better?
Old 26 Dec 2005, 13:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Myself, no, i wouldn't pay the points, i'd rather use them to buy something else more worthwhile, after all, that upgrade isnt going to be used all that much.* It is just a +1 unless the shield is magical (then it depends).*

The problem with a unit of 20 means that the other unit will be only 12 large.* 12 is a nice number for shooting units, but not really for fighters.* 16x16 gives you an extra rank, yes, so you'd gain +1 to combat resolution.* Take one wound however, and your rank's only 3 models wide so you loose that bonus.* With 5x3, you've got one less automatic resolution point, however, you've got one more model in the front rank attacking, and with a hefty great weapon buffed up attack, theres a good chance you'll kill an enemy model (thinking of a core sort of troop here) so that'll make up the point, plus, you'll have killed someone....

I suggest you get some thunderers, these make a lovelly edition....* in regard to wanting a unit of 20x4, perhaps trun the remaining 12 models into a little hunting party, and give them the throwing axes....

EDIT: BTW, buy the new White Dwarves that are being released, there'll be some good tactical tips and such in there that you should find helpfull.

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 27 Dec 2005, 00:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Why would the other unit only be 12? I can buy more. I'm an adult gamer - assume price isn't an issue.

I was actually thinking of something like 2 units of thunders, 1 unit of bugman's rangers, 1 unit of ironbreakers, and then some warmachines - and the anvil of doom looks pretty darn cool. Basically, going for a shooty army, with one or two assault units to clean up with.
Old 27 Dec 2005, 20:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Right, I understand.

Well, shooty army, thunderers are a must, cannons are very good too, and bolt throwers, however stone throwers can be very unpredictable, often not hitting, and quite frankly, not causing enough damage for my liking. Dwarves excel at the shooting concept, it must be said.

Anvil of doom is very powerfull, the only access to magic the dwarves have.

Iron breakers are good as they have immense staying power due to their very very very good armour save. It means you can blast the enemy to shreds, and by the time they get to you, they've got virtually impassable iron breakers there, its frustrating, and as your front line is now engaged, you can just sit there comfortably shooting the rest of their army.

You might like to think about the gyrocopter, provides some very fast flank harrasers for the dwarves which has access to some not bad weaponary.

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 27 Dec 2005, 22:20   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe

Anvil Of Doom is now during the shooting phase, urgo cannot be dispelled.

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Old 29 Dec 2005, 19:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Oh, very nice, now extremely powerfull, darn, just hope my friend doesnt buy the new army book, lol. His dwarf army is a pain in the neck as it is!

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 07 Jan 2006, 04:07   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

In 2k point games, I usually see dwarf warriors in units of 16, 20 or 25. Remember that sometimes you have a hero or lord in there, so you'll see people have 15 warriors and their hero in the unit.

I would equip them all with shields and hand weapons. The great weapons should be left to the more elite units like longbeards, hammerer, miners, etc. That have more WS or STR. The warriors are basically there to soak up hits.

I would put shields on your ranged troops because they will be charged often by enemy flyers and such and having a 4+ save in combat is a lot better than 6+ for only 1 point.
Old 09 Jan 2006, 08:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Tau_Killer

you could always take a page out of the Dwarf army book, they have a 2000 pt list at hte back. All they have done is bought a battalion aswell as the bigger one. i would go 20 strong. having 2 units of 20 nd a slightly smaller unit of elites to go in hte middle like hammerers or ironbreackers with a nice shiny rune banner with some thing like master rune of valaya or master rune of grungi thta is lead by a lord or hero. and chuck the master engineer with the cannon (thats if u didnt make a organ gun) so it gets D6 wounds inflicted instead of D3.

Made By Kais, Offical Siggy Maker

Black Templar 5200 points

Orks & Goblin 2300 points points

Tyranids, 60 points

wood elves, 2000 points

The only good alien is a dead alien
Closed Thread