Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Advice for Vampire Counts
Closed Thread
Old 23 Dec 2005, 17:05   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Advice for Vampire Counts

I haven't played fantasy since 2nd. ed, my daughter is wants to start a Vampire Counts army any advice? I have only purchased a box of skeletons and one vampire character thus far. Any advice would be appreciated.

[img width=650 height=169]http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/1077/ordounlimitedsigcopybcopylc7.jpg[/img]
Old 23 Dec 2005, 18:47   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe
Default Re: Advice for Vampire Counts

Ok.....Vampire counts, you want really large blocks of infantry and as much magic as you can get your mittz on. A unit of Black Knights goes down well as well. Remember, you can create fresh troops, you never run away and you cause fear. On the other hand, your basic troops are worse then goblins. Its in your best interests to win combats in the first round, so like i said, take loads and then make the units bigger. Oh, and another plu f o iyu characters are among the hardest in the game.

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Old 23 Dec 2005, 18:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thx for the help, quick question...last time I played err last version I remember undead being fearless but if they lose combat the unit will take additional losses is this still true?

[img width=650 height=169]http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/1077/ordounlimitedsigcopybcopylc7.jpg[/img]
Old 23 Dec 2005, 22:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to charn

Its still true, an undead unit takes an additional wound for every point it loses the combat by. At least we can make 'em get back up.
Old 26 Dec 2005, 15:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by charn
Its still true, an undead unit takes an additional wound for every point it loses the combat by.* At least we can make 'em get back up.
normal saves apply? or just take modles off?

Old 26 Dec 2005, 17:51   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe

You lose that many wounds.

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Old 28 Dec 2005, 23:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ok, thx for the help agian..finally got hold of the VC book and the rule book, six ed. right?? I hope so...

Old 03 Jan 2006, 00:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yes I believe so. I play VC as well. I usually take a soldi block of Skeletons, zombies aren't worth it except as speedbumps. Blood Dragons and Necrachs are by far the best vampire bloodlines in my opinion, one is pure war, the other magic.

The single greatest unit in my army though is a unit of 12 Grave guards I field in most battles, usually with a wight lord with the black book(the one that gives any enemies a -1 to hit) in there too. A friend of mine plays chaos and I've found that Grave Guard with Halbreds and the Banner of the Barrows(always hit on a 3+ regardless of Weapon skill). Are a match for even his Khornite Chosen Chaos Knights.

Here's a breakdown of the army and how I feel about them.

Overall: Everything you have causes fear or terror as such it is always a good idea to outnumber your foe and make them instant break. Also whomever you chose for your armies general make sure to keep them safe. Nothing is worse than your troops falling apart every turn.

Lord:

Vampire count and lord: THe lord is an awesome engine of destruction, but at a lord and hero very expensive. I usually cough up the extra hero slot and go with a lord. A fully kitted lord can either out magic other mages (plus cut cut through troops with great str, atks, and tough) or can be turned into a killing machine capable of going toe to toe with a greater daemon in CC. The count is all these things too, but less so. Don't bother having your lord ride the Zombie dragon though, the extra hero slot just isn't worth it, 1 lord 2 heroes just too expensive for 1 model.)

Master Necro: A very strong spell caster just make sure he stays safe.

Heroes:

Vampire Thrall: one of the strongest heroes in the game, makes for a poor general even when as a necrach so better to use a lord or if point value too low use a necromancer. In CC this hero is second to none and can stand up to aspiring champions of chaos and ogre heroes if kitted for CC.

Wight Lord: excellent as a standard bearer or if put with a unit of wights (Grave Guard or Black Knights) and equipped right.

Wraith: rarely use it, but excellent with a spirit swarm to cause extra wounds. Beware magic weapons.

Necromancer: In less than 200 point games this will be your general. With VC you can actually field the max number of these guys and control the magic phase without hurting your army too much. As you can always have the invocation use them to reinforce your undead ranks every turn.

Core:

Skeles: A big plus I usually take at least 2 sometimes even 4 units of these. I usually have them at minimum size and use invocation to bring them up to strength. Adding shields, spears and such to them is up to you. SPears are extremely useful since you'll rarely have the initiative and you'll usually get charged as such being able to strike back is very helpful, but the best use of them in combat is to have a standard, musician, outnumber you're opponent, and a +3 rank bonus. THis way you're opponent has to kill at least 6 skeles to beat you and this will result in you taking only 1 wound for losing by a single point.

Zombies: I usually don't use them except as cavalry road bumps or to tie down certain enemy units. They're slow and with braindead even greatswords will hit before you. Take in very large masses if you do use them.

Dire Wolves: Good for harrying the flanks. If used right you can slow down an enemy heavy cavalry unit without having to engage or getting charged. I once circled a unit of ogres for 4 turns effectively taking them out of the fight until I got a unit of Black Knights and Skeletons to charge the ogres at which point I also charged with the wolves. Their good for a flank or rear charge to cause an extra wound or two, but they die easily in combat. A very strategic unit to use and worth too many points to throw away in combat.

Bat swarms: A good road bump for a turn and marginally useful to harrass archers, independent characters, and warmachines. Use them to hit the opponents back ranks and deny march to their other units. They die extremely easily however. I prefer Fell bats to batswarms.

Ghouls: One of your few alive units. They cause fear, won't take wounds if you lose combat, but due have to make leadership tests. Good for being on the flanks away from general. With 2 poison attacks each they are very dangerous, but no armour means you need to make sure they get the charge.

Special:

Grave guard: Probably the best unit in the entire army. With their killing blow, good ws, str, and tough. This unit is a keeper. If equipped with a banner of barrows it can usually stand up against even heavy cavalry, especially if a wight lord is with the unit. Your best unit. Keep in mind wights carry magic weapons and can hurt daemons easily as the entire unit has magic rather than just 1 character.

Black Knights: Second best unit in army. With a str of 6 on a charge, good WS, good armour saves, and magic weapons. Due to being point heavy you can't field more than a few models, but as a retinue for a mounted Vampire they aquit themselves well. Banner of the dead legion for extra size or banner of barrows if not on GG will work well as the standard for this group.

Fell bats: These things are war machine destroyers. Easily get rid of the enemies cowering back rank stuff with these flyers.

Spirit host: Against any non-magically equipped unit these can spell the end. They will usually die due to combat resolution not being in their favor. A hero with a magic weapon can cut them down quite easily though.

Rare:
Banshee: A must have for any army in my opinion. She is your only ranged unit besides spellcasters. Her banshee screech can go into CC or through buildings meanind she doesn't need LOS. It can even be done in CC. If used against a low leadership unit you can get more than half a dozen models dead with no armour save in one shot. Being ethereal means she is almost immune to missile fire. Excellent place to put her is inbetween 2 units and slightly back so she can't be charged.

Black couch: Dwarves and Empire will eat this model up in a heartbeat with war machines. Excellent versus horde armies and a very impressive model (I probably spent more time on it than I did on some of my heroes). Careful about siege machine fire. With the ability to gain more wounds than it started with and scythed wheels it is very dangerous. Hit them on the flanks and suck up their lives to power this beast of a machine. Probably the best of the chariots in the game.

Hope this helps. The army is a lot of fun as well. Use invocation and protect your general as best as possible, if he dies the game is practically lost as your units have low leadership.
Old 03 Jan 2006, 12:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Stooga

I think zombies are great. Not only are the models the best looking plastic foot troops in the game, (which is awesome!) but tying up things is a fun tactic, a block of 20 zombies can be charged by a unit of elite knights (Empire, Bret, Elf...), one entire rank of zombies will die at most, but they remain standing, and you can easily conjure up as many zombies as you lose in the next magic phase! Not to mention all the zombies you can thow in behind units to charge them in the rear.... just too fun to avoid.
Old 04 Jan 2006, 16:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Location: I live in the real world, a place you will never see, since you are stuck in a prison: a prison before your mind, a prison i like to call: The Matrix. You're not missing much.
Send a message via MSN to i dont play 40k

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Long Night
Skeles: A big plus I usually take at least 2 sometimes even 4 units of these. I usually have them at minimum size and use invocation to bring them up to strength. Adding shields, spears and such to them is up to you. SPears are extremely useful since you'll rarely have the initiative and you'll usually get charged as such being able to strike back is very helpful, but the best use of them in combat is to have a standard, musician, outnumber you're opponent, and a +3 rank bonus. THis way you're opponent has to kill at least 6 skeles to beat you and this will result in you taking only 1 wound for losing by a single point.
Thats not entirely true. Although having those bonuses is true, there is nothing stopping your oponent from taking all those things. Also, a musician only gives you a bonus of +1 if only one side has a musician and the combat would otherwise be a draw. If it was a draw, and even if you do have a musician and the oponent doesn't, those 6 skeles lost make you lose another 5!

Apart from that, that is an excellent summary of VC units
Closed Thread