Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Skaven seem like a fun army
Closed Thread
Old 21 Oct 2005, 07:39   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Skaven seem like a fun army

The ratmen don't have any super-hard units or any shiny cavalry, but they do seem like they would at least give you a different battle every time you played them. I'm just now getting back into Fantasy and for some reason I was pulled towards the Skaven. Tactically it seems you have to be fairly cunning because individual soldier for individual soldier it doesn't seem as though you'll have the advantage very often. Any hints on playing with the Skaven would be greatly appreciated, IE things like how to minimize leadership problems and what roles certain units play best.
Old 21 Oct 2005, 08:18   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Skaven seem like a fun army

Well I always lose with Skaven, largely because I kill my own units!

Skaven are a great army to play "just for fun". Take a big unit of 200 Slaves, stick a Grey Seer and a few Ratling Guns nearby, and get them into combat with something valuable. Once they're in, fire like hell! Even if you kill ten Slaves for one Chaos Knight, you're still up on points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 21 Oct 2005, 08:57   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I definitely like the idea of getting my slaves stuck in with an expensive unit and firing away - at 2 pts a piece it's too tempting!

What's the ideal size for slaves regiments do you think? And clanrats? 30+?

I have to say winning with these guys does seem like it might be hard - pretty much every strong weapon they have has the potential for catastrophic mishaps....
Old 21 Oct 2005, 18:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Welcome to teh fantasy battles my friend .

Skaven is a great and very fun army, it has various tactics actually i don't have the army my self but i play with them any time i can with a friends miniatures, i'm a dark elf player but skaven really likes me (i'll be my 2 army acually in fantasy after i finish my Cult of Slaness).

The very fun of it it has a mass of rats everywhere your eye can see and has shooting army, close combat army, magic based, balance army and the crazy super massed army (this is just clanrats and slaves units and can be around 250 miniatures, is to crazy and easy to kill but nice to see it in the table).

Quote:
What's the ideal size for slaves regiments do you think?* And clanrats? 30+?
actually yes minimum will be 25 at least but i recomend 30 no other weapons or leader, nothing, mainly cause the slaves goes in the front of the army screening the horde behind or to stop a unit for a turn or two while others get into them.

one of the most killer army of the ratmen is the shooty one, you have the character which right now don't remember the name that allows you to add 1 unit of mutant slaves, this guys are 2 points up and have T and St 4 and Ld 4 to ;D, in this kind of army you have in 2000 points around 30 jezzails, 3 warpstone cannons, clanrats with weapon back up, warlocks enginers, the Rattank, couple of slaves and the mutant slaves and some other stuff that i don't remember at the time, this army goes for around 90 miniatures i think but let me tell you that i see 6 jezzails kill a dragon in a battle in 2 turns.

the rats don't have a lot of BS but they have the jezzails that are St6 and low the armour save by 4 and shoot at 36 inch and the warpstone cannon can shoot through forest or other terrain except by stone walls, hills or rocks and shoot straigh, but is a killer you don't need Line of sight to shoot with it.

Skaven is one of the armies that is very fun to play has as well one of the most dangerous magic in the fantasy world, that's why just 1 grey seer for a 2000 game.

It has characters very powerfull indeed, tanquol is the most fearsome sorcerer their is in my opinion and the second best assasin Squich (the first of course is Shadowblade je,je ;D).

Quote:
Well I always lose with Skaven, largely because I kill my own units!
Actually Skaven is very dificult to make a good list at first you need the clanrats to put other units and depends of how many units of it you fill will be the same quantity as max to fill of other units so its hard to balance and to make it work on the field.

You don't have to shoot at every unit is in H2H with yours as some units are very valuable even sometimes don't look that way.

well if you are thinking on Skaven go a head men you'll never regret it and while you learn to play with them you'll learn to manage the hordes of rats to kill almoust everything in your path.

Good luck with it and post a posible list if you whant, we can give you a hand on it.

Cheers 8)
Old 21 Oct 2005, 21:22   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

My Skaven Slave regiment weighed in at 200...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 22 Oct 2005, 07:36   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

200 slaves?! LOL, I wish I had the money to drop on that. That's awesome.

gilber, thanks for all the tips.

So far all I've got is the regiment boxed set, a warlord, and a ratling gun, so it will be a little while before I have a proper list to submit.

What's the Rattank? Is that the doomwheel? I didn't see it in the new army book. Is it decommisioned?

The jezzails seem quite powerful, especially with that armor piercing capability, I'll need to save my sheckels for a proper regiment of those.

Once I get my stuff assembled and decide what else I'll check in with an army list.
Old 22 Oct 2005, 15:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
What's the Rattank?
The rattank came out in the battle of the Abbey of Maisontaal if i remember well and the rules came out on the white dwarf, in a battle where the empire fought against the undead army in the desert the Steamtank know as Sigismund was destroyed and left in deeps of the sand desert, Klawmunkast the must crazy Warlock engineer of the Skaven found it and with dozens of slaves die to take the Sigismound tank into the Skaven caves. Klawmunkast fix it and make it a Warpstone powered Steam Tank with a Warpstone Cannon on it, during this comvertion lots of slaves where used and the ones that survive to this experiment have horrible mutations.

Well in small swords the Rattank is the Skaven Stean Tank version (is totally legal ;D).

As for jezzails you need at leas 1 unit of 6 jezzails for havoc, but i suggest at least a unit of 10
Old 22 Oct 2005, 15:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

The Rat tank was made by Munkast to help him battle a Clan Pestilinse [sp?] army. It was for 5th Edition Fantasy not 6th, so isn't legal anymore. Plus It was just for that specific scenario anyway. Still, it was really cool and if you come up with a model and rules for it that are decent, I cant see why people would object.

Skaven have the potential to be one of the most powerful and to be honest, beardy, lists in the game. If you are playing only for the win and want a power force, it can be easily done with Skaven.

Though most players do use Skaven in character and it is here were the Skaven make a really fun army to play both with and against.
Old 22 Oct 2005, 16:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

uuuuppppss :P, i forgot that it was 5th edition :P. But if the oponent agrees you'll have no problems with it, as using a steam tank looks quite nice for the rats.

But yes the Skaven has lots of potentials, i really want to see the new list of the lustria campaing, the pestilence army inprubed >.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 06:46   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for all the input - I've just started assembling my clanrats and some plague monks.

Power gaming is the farthest thing from my mind, as these days I spend far more time assembling regiments, thinking up color schemes and fluff, and painting than I do gaming. I don't want to get completely blown out, but I don't want an army that abuses the army rules either. I'd much rather lose with MY army.

I'm finding I like the plague monk models and will probably get a big regiment of these guys, are they worth the points? They seem pretty good if you give 'em an extra hand weapon and point them in the right direction, would you fellas agree?

Besides the obvious stat/cost differences, what's the difference between Night Runners and Gutter Runners? Is it worthwhile in general to field both units in your army?