Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tyrannofex
Old 30 Apr 2010, 20:58   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Tyrannofex

Right, I've decided to build a fex for my army but im stuck on the weapons. I decided to give it template and blast weapons, due to its low Bs as only one in two shots would hit.

Tyrannofex
Acid Spray
Cluster Spines
Thorax Swarm w/t Desiccator Larvae/ Shreddershard Beetles (Not sure, refer to hive tyrant post)
Adrenal Glands
Regeneration
---------------------------------------------------------
The hive fleet always needs Biomass, please feed some to the below creatures.
---------------------------------------------------------
Vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2010, 00:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Tyrannofex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyper
Right, I've decided to build a fex for my army but im stuck on the weapons. I decided to give it template and blast weapons, due to its low Bs as only one in two shots would hit.

Tyrannofex
Acid Spray
Cluster Spines
Thorax Swarm w/t Desiccator Larvae/ Shreddershard Beetles (Not sure, refer to hive tyrant post)
Adrenal Glands
Regeneration
Any idea on how you are going to model him? Not too sure on Regen either. I haven't had much luck with it. The T-Fex is expensive already so it you want to save a few points, I would ditch the regen.

Good Trades With
TraceofToxin 1

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Lord Scythican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2010, 03:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

this about the tyrannofex is that i'm not sure what role it's suppose to bring. tank busting? zoans can do that better, long ranged support? that's been a biovore thing for editions, scary dinosaur? trygon, carnifex, harpy, tervigon, scary antiinfantry? it's tyranids - we have enough of that! it's just very expensive and alot of things can do what it claims to do but better and cheaper.

Click to join the Movement
salamut2202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2010, 03:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamut2202
this about the tyrannofex is that i'm not sure what role it's suppose to bring. tank busting? zoans can do that better, long ranged support? that's been a biovore thing for editions, scary dinosaur? trygon, carnifex, harpy, tervigon, scary antiinfantry? it's tyranids - we have enough of that! it's just very expensive and alot of things can do what it claims to do but better and cheaper.
Have you ever used one. It's actually pretty good in its anti-tank role. I use 2 tyrannofexes and 2 zonathorpes. My tyrannofexes take out mre vehicles than my thorpes. Main reason thorpes die way to easy. While it takes awhile to kill this model. It get's saves against rockets which helps it stay alive longer than your other stuff. I rather use these guys than a tyrant.

Also the troop support is rather good. The hellhound weapon is very good against hordes. Than you have a secondary flamer that wounds on 2s as well. It does a lot of damage against hordes. So it can either be anti-tank or anti-horde plus the fact it's a durable creature.

I would suggest still taking zonathorpes and guard. Also this unit have turn 1 tank killing while the other 2 have to wait turn 2 or 3 to shoot at something. It's not cheap but it will last most of the game. I haven't lost on yet cause everyone focuses on my 3 tervigons and trygon since those models are relatively in their face.

It's earn back it's points rather easy. Best resault I had with 1 is that it blew up a falcon, killed 2 squads of dire avengers,vyper and one guardian squad. While the other one downed a prism, killed a banshe squad, and fire dragons.
The hellhound flamer is awesome in killing people popped out of a vehicle. My zonathorpes took out a wave serpent and died to guardian fire.
Old 01 May 2010, 05:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

YOU TAKE 2! that's 500 point minimum. i have played the tyrannofex several times and it preformed unamazingly. i used the acid spray build against orks and later agaiinst tau. it would get tied up in combat and become utterly useless! do you know how embarrassing it is when kroot take down a T6, W6 monstrous creature? i also used the rupture cannon build against eldar and marines. thing about BS 2 is that assault 2 usually hits just once and the guy ended u8p just immobilizing alot of stuff. actually, scratch that. it didn't kill a single eldar unit and it destroyed an assault cannon and immobilized a landraider. i honestly thought that the almost 300 point would do more.

oh yeah - lol double post .

Old 01 May 2010, 06:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

They're bs 3 not 2. Would explain why you miss a lot. Only got into hth once with them to assault 5 guardians + warlock. I mainly keep them in the center so they could avoid outflank attacks. Also my 3 gaunt squads + 3 tervigons spitting out gaunts help out a lot to protect them.

The hellhound weapon works for me. Wounds most stuff on 2s and kill +4 armour saves. It weakens squads that's about to assault my gaunts.
Old 01 May 2010, 07:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

(lol i meant three sorry)

so you're not talking about the same list are you because you're 2 zoans, 3 hive guard, 3 tervigons & 2 t fexi. how many points do you play?!

Old 01 May 2010, 08:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

HQ

195 - Tervigon with toxin sacs, adrenal glands, Catalyst, cluster spines

ELITES

140 - Deathleaper
120 - Zoanthropes (x2)
50 - Hive Guard (x1)

TROOPS

60 - Termagants (x12)
60 - Termagants (x12)
60 - Termagants (x12)

HEAVY SUPPORT

200 - Trygon
265 - Tyrannofex with rupture cannon, desiccator larvae
265 - Tyrannofex with rupture cannon, desiccator larvae

2000 Total

How's about this list. I'm thinking of dropping the regen off all the models to add another tervigon and more gaunts. I added two tyrannofexes to give me anti tank options.

Quote:
(lol i meant three sorry)

so you're not talking about the same list are you because you're 2 zoans, 3 hive guard, 3 tervigons & 2 t fexi. how many points do you play?!
1500-2000 pts

I'm probably gonna drop the 4th Trygon for a prime. So far I haven't played the 2k list. The 1850 list I drop some troops and a tervigon and add another guard.

When I field the army I usally get that's it. Than when I hit 100 models in the first turn it usally pisses people from playing.

My old list did well against mech guard but couldn't kill the Valkyrie. That's why I dropped the tyrants and added the Tyros.

The extra vehicle support makes a huge differance.
Old 01 May 2010, 09:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

i guess nidzilla never died. i guess i underestimated how many times you can fit 200 points into list. you love double posting don't ya?

Old 01 May 2010, 09:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
i guess nidzilla never died. i guess i underestimated how many times you can fit 200 points into list. you love double posting don't ya?
Was an accident. I already notified mods. I think 7 might be a tad much. My poor tervigons are bullet magnets. This list does better than I would had guessed.