Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tyrannofex
Old 10 May 2010, 03:06   #21 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher
Default Re: Tyrannofex

Yeah but still its ballistic skill 3 and only two shots. I was talking about the 20 shot ones which you do not get the two flame attacks with as it replaces the acid spray. The acid spray may be a better weapon. You do get a pie plate a flame template and a strength 10 gun. If you have two flame templates and a rupture cannon then it is equipped wrong.
Old 10 May 2010, 10:01   #22 (permalink)
Shas'El

Tyrannofex weapons: pg. 95
acid spray= hellhound weapon
stinger salvo or cluster spines
thorax swarm ( electroshock grubs)
fleshborer hive: cost extra
rupture cannon: cost extra

Thorax Swarm: pg.82 can fire 2 weapons as normal plus thorax swarm in same shooting phase.

A. Electro grubs= tau standard weapon flame template
B. Desiccator Larve: bane wolf flamer without ap
C. Shreddershard beetles: guard standard flame template that rends

With the Acid spray and Thorax weapon you get two flame templates. If you use the disiccator larve and fire with acid spray it's like the hellhound and banewolf combined minus the bane wolf ap. If the unit is t4 and lower than both templates wounds on 2. The acid spray can get a lot of models since you have the 12" sliding play. I typically get 10 models while the secondard get around 6-7. The two templates alone is 16-17 wounds. 10 of which most models can't save against or 5-6 dead marines due to average saves.

Which leaves 1 more attack. Which give you these options.
2 shot rail gun at lower ap. Basically a broadside that actually shot twice.
20 shot bolter a lower ap. Hmm kinda reminds me of a punisher
4 str 5 shots at decent ap
large blast template at tau str

I have to admit that I forget about the last two cause I use the rail gun or the two flame templates. The two flame templates and the large blast would be the best anti troop combo.

I rarely use the large blast cause it can kill my own troops. The 20 shot weapon on average will hit 10 times.

Why people harping on the bs of 3. That's what guard tanks get and thier just as effective. Also it's bs don't effect it's two flame template weapons. Bs 3 for two railgun shots isn't bad. That means I should get 1 shot most of the time and if I'm lucky I might get two str 10 hits. With 20 shots bs 3 isn't bad either.

I'll go with saying it's probably better to shoot 3 templates than assault. It will save you on some points.
Old 10 May 2010, 10:24   #23 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I probably taking mine as follows:

Tyrrannofex
Acid Spray
Cluster Spines
Shreddershard Beetles
Regeneration ?(It worked on my carnifex)
Not even 300pts
---------------------------------------------------------
The hive fleet always needs Biomass, please feed some to the below creatures.
---------------------------------------------------------
Vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2010, 10:31   #24 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

but i come back to my point f why bother when there are things in the horrible new dex that could do things better?

Click to join the Movement
salamut2202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2010, 11:09   #25 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamut2202
but i come back to my point f why bother when there are things in the horrible new dex that could do things better?
You're looking at the model completely wrong. Can zonathorpes kill a tank better. Yes. But how many tanks at the end of the game would both models rack up.

The tyrannofex can fire at tanks turn 1. Also it can last several turns firing at several vehicles doing the course of the game.

Zonathorpes very rarely get turn 1 strikes with warp blast. Even turn 2 isn't always possible. Even with ds them you might not get them 2nd turn. Zoans are like a one trick poney since they don't last long up to standard fire. They die in turn 1 and 2 before they can fire since everyone know to shoot them now. Also psyhoods can shut them down as well.

I use both zonathorpes and tyrannofexes. The tyrannofex usally effect a vehicle every turn. At the end of the game my tyrannofex out point my zonathorpes every time.

If you want to compare to hive guard the tyrannofex is still better due to the fact it can pen landraiders and russes.

It's a multi- purpose support model. No other model in the army can do what it does as good as it does it. If I need to switch to anti-troop it could do so. 3 template weapons can do a lot of damage. Heck I just found out it can shoot 3. So it's even better than I thought it was.

I'll still run other options in my army. But switching the two tyrannofexes for my tyrants made my army much better. I'll go to ard boys with it if I had the time and money to get nids ready for it.

But explain what does better. I like my tervigon and termagaunts but my tyrannofex out performs them. Now it's a contest between all my troops and tyrannofexes. My tyrannofexes rarely get hit cause people don't even try bothering with them. My poor tervigons attract a lot of attention followed by th tyrgon in their face. After that my termagaunts and zonathorpes get the rest of the fire.

I'm surprised how well the model does in my army really. I didn't want to use it cause how much it cost. By running 2 if one performs bad I have another one to pick up the slack.
Old 10 May 2010, 19:12   #26 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm with the others, I don't think it's statistically a very cost effective unit.

It's not awful, but if you are looking to pop AV14, Warp lance does it much better. If you are looking to pop light armor, Impaler Cannons are a more cost effective option in my opinion. Anti-infantry? We have that in droves with our plethora of assault options and we have some extremely efficient anti-infantry killers. There's nothing it can do that something else can't do and do more efficiently on a point per point basis. It can sort of straddle categories, but it's just a very expensive piece to put in your list for what it does. It's durable, no doubt but that's an awful lot of points to plop down in one place and have to direct a just one target every turn.

I'm not saying it's a terrible unit, I think it can have it's place, but I'm not sold on using it much myself. When I look at the different tools I have at my disposal in the codex in order to take apart an enemies army, I see more shiny and focused options available.

If it's working for you, more power to you though.
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2010, 23:58   #27 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Im defintly a fan of the Tyrannofex but feel its best run in pairs. I have a strong dislike of Zoanthropes. Seriously, pyschic hoods suck and can ruin a turn of Zoanthrope shooting while the Tyrannofex has no fear of that, and its the same reason I prefer Hive Guard.
Valten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2010, 17:21   #28 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

im definetley missing something here but i need this for reference. where in the codex does it say tervigons are troops?
ColdShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2010, 17:27   #29 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdShadow
im definetley missing something here but i need this for reference. where in the codex does it say tervigons are troops?
The Scuttling Horde (Scuttling something, not sure) rule on Termagants states that for every brood of Termagants you take, you can take a Tervigon as a troop choice
Old 16 May 2010, 17:29   #30 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdShadow
The Scuttling Horde (Scuttling something, not sure) rule on Termagants states that for every brood of Termagants you take, you can take a Tervigon as a troop choice
Specifically, the box on page 91 named "The Scuttling Swarm".
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote