Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tyranofex.
Old 05 Apr 2010, 13:18   #21 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Tyranofex.

And yes, I agree there is a counter for everything. The question is, how likely is that counter to be in a list you're playing against? As I said, traditional strong Guard lists will easily handle a Tyranno in 1-2 turns.

And being able to counter anything doesn't negate the fact that being able to drop 250+ points in one go is a big deal. That's the reason I don't run tanks that cost that much very often. They are just too vulnerable and when they are gone it's a huge hit.
Schev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2010, 19:16   #22 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Oh sorry Schev I did not understand that you meant multiple squads and not just one, my bad! unching_computer:

I would like to take a Tyrannofex in a Planetstrike game just to see how it would fair, I wonder what weapon would best suit it? Acid Spray and Fleshborer Hive would be best off for attacking infantry and the Rupture Cannon for breaking apart Bastions, but would it be more effective to simply let other Tyranids or the Tyrannofex itself break down the bastion in combat and then use Acid Spray or Fleshborer Hive?
Machination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2010, 05:22   #23 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Biotitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machination
Oh sorry Schev I did not understand that you meant multiple squads and not just one, my bad! unching_computer:

I would like to take a Tyrannofex in a Planetstrike game just to see how it would fair, I wonder what weapon would best suit it? Acid Spray and Fleshborer Hive would be best off for attacking infantry and the Rupture Cannon for breaking apart Bastions, but would it be more effective to simply let other Tyranids or the Tyrannofex itself break down the bastion in combat and then use Acid Spray or Fleshborer Hive?
I usually run my Tyranofex with the Borer hive, while the acid spray has longer range the 20 shots has a huge damage potential, besides its still the flamer and cluster spines (I always make the free swap for these) gives you good anti-infantry in all its forms (flamer+large template+lots of shots) from a single model in a single turn.
Biotitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2010, 13:57   #24 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

At the tyranid release locally there was a great mega battle, spanning in a huge S shape through the store. Tyranids had no point limit and w/o number on everything (yes, terriblly stacked in our favour) against as many non tyranids as people could pile on the table, it was ridiculous. Then again to win the non bugs need only survive, some armies did!

on my sector I had my swarm (less my trygon prime, it joined NINE other trygons in a nightmare landscape of 5 baneblades 6 hammerheads and a necron pyon), fighting marines chaos and guard. The table to my right had 3 tyranofexes with rupture cannons (converted quite nicely) oh and a heirodule... They didn't really make the push any easier on me :/. My Zoanthropes were much more reliable for taking down tanks, and such. I mean overall it just seems a little expensive for their impact. They are armoured shelled, but I think most everyone has something that can dig deep and concentrate on it if they want to.

The real power of sucha beast is when they have to try and kill it WITH a few other bugs alongside. Gotta "focus down that Tyrranofex, but that Tervigon has to go first" kinda thing. In that situation the angry strawberry devourer swarm thing I think would be the best option.
Old 24 Apr 2010, 00:46   #25 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant Chrysaor
I've tried one with a Rupture cannon. It did okay. I find Hive Guard or Zoanthropes to be better anti-tank, and Biovores are great anti-infantry. I just think there are more attractive options in the codex than a Tyrannofex.
Sure, you think that now, until a Blood Angels players with his fast Vindicator(s) obliterates all your zoanthropes in a single turn.... :sadnshocked:

T-fexes are slightly more durable and have a better threat radius. I run both in my army, they excel at different things.
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2010, 00:48   #26 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha

I've already had that happen.

Tyrannofexes are certainly better against certain armies and lists. In general though, I'd say Zoanthropes are still superior.
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2010, 15:36   #27 (permalink)
Shas'El

The Tyranno is a horde killer and extra anti-tank. So far the only army it doesn't do well against so far is a foot marine or necron army. Zonathorpes die pretty easy to standard fire unless you deep strike them to get a first shot. But eldar and psychic hoods can shut zonathorpes down. Even other mid armies can cancel out zonathorpes usefulness.

I gurantee in the ard boys tourney the zoans will have a hard time due to psychic hood or eldar equipment. Even tyranids deepstriking can cancel out the zonathorpe. IMO I think in a competive list the tyranno is better than the zona but in all honestly they work really well togther.
Old 28 Jan 2013, 19:52   #28 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i ru n a tyrranofex with rupture cannon, desiccator larvae and cluster spines. every time I use it it's a HUGE shot magnet, cause it's a big scary monster with a big scary gun. only problem i have with him is that he only hits on 4+ with his BS3, which is why i use the cluster spines and larvae, they dont rely on BS and as he gets close, as he gets closer he more dangerous due to his spines and larvae getting into range. I usually keep warriors or Hive Tyrant next to him to prevent him from being locke din assault, if something pops up that threatens the fex, i charge the warriors or tyrant into CC and tie them up so my fex can keep shooting his S10 2 shot gun.

Hive Fleet Briares
GMAN25639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2013, 19:53   #29 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

and of course it gets synapse from warriors/ tyrant nearby

Hive Fleet Briares
GMAN25639 is offline   Reply With Quote