Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tyranofex.
Old 04 Apr 2010, 11:47   #11 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Tyranofex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schev
300 pts for a 3 Plasma Vet Squad and Vendetta.
That does seem an awful lot for just a squad of Guardsmen, do they have the Grenadiers upgrade? If not then any Tyranid player worth his weight in chitin could see through those Veterans with Deathspitter armed Warriors, let alone a Tyrannofex. :-\ Not that I'm criticising your tactics or being an arse, it's just personally 300pts on Guardsman and a 12-12-10 Skimmer is, in my eyes, a worse investment in points than a Tyrannofex. One lucky Rupture Cannon shot on that Vendetta or a Fleshborer Hive shooting attack on those Guardsmen could see them off with a failed morale test.
Machination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2010, 15:09   #12 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Well point for point, that squad is worth more than a t-fex. Small wonder it could be taken out.

Good Trades With
TraceofToxin 1

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Lord Scythican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2010, 15:57   #13 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Scythican
Quote:
Well point for point, that squad is worth more than a t-fex. Small wonder it could be taken out.
It's still not a garantee for the unit to kill the tyrannofex. If they in range of bring it down than yeah. But that's 6 plasma on bs 4 and 3 twin linked las on bs 3.

So 6 shots 4 would hit 3 wounds
3 shots 2 hits 2 wounds

So on average that unit would put 5 wounds on your fex leaving another unit to kill it or earlier wounds to set up for the outflank kill. But the tack is only effective in missions the unit can start in reserves. In the new missions that unit can be stuck in the open which the Tyrannofex have no prob putting a pen on that unit.
Old 04 Apr 2010, 17:49   #14 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicop76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Scythican
Quote:
It's still not a garantee for the unit to kill the tyrannofex. If they in range of bring it down than yeah. But that's 6 plasma on bs 4 and 3 twin linked las on bs 3.

So 6 shots 4 would hit 3 wounds
3 shots 2 hits 2 wounds

So on average that unit would put 5 wounds on your fex leaving another unit to kill it or earlier wounds to set up for the outflank kill. But the tack is only effective in missions the unit can start in reserves. In the new missions that unit can be stuck in the open which the Tyrannofex have no prob putting a pen on that unit.
Even better than what I was getting at. Schev acted like it was a big deal to drop a fex with those units, units that cost more and will not drop a t-fex that easy.

Good Trades With
TraceofToxin 1

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Old 05 Apr 2010, 02:17   #15 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machination
That does seem an awful lot for just a squad of Guardsmen, do they have the Grenadiers upgrade? If not then any Tyranid player worth his weight in chitin could see through those Veterans with Deathspitter armed Warriors, let alone a Tyrannofex. :-\ Not that I'm criticising your tactics or being an arse, it's just personally 300pts on Guardsman and a 12-12-10 Skimmer is, in my eyes, a worse investment in points than a Tyrannofex. One lucky Rupture Cannon shot on that Vendetta or a Fleshborer Hive shooting attack on those Guardsmen could see them off with a failed morale test.
You missed the Chimera in there. I would never run 115 point Plasma Vet squads on foot.

The point is that almost 300 points are tied up in a single unit that can easily be dropped by standard units in most Guard lists. The Tyrannofex can at best kill the Chimera/some of the troops or the Vendetta in one turn, whereas it's easily possible for the Guard units to kill it in one turn, or at worst extremely cripple it.

I'm not saying that the units I've commented on are amazing or anything like that, just that Tyrannofex is easily countered and a huge points loss when it dies, which will often be early.
Schev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2010, 02:28   #16 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Quote:
That does seem an awful lot for just a squad of Guardsmen, do they have the Grenadiers upgrade? If not then any Tyranid player worth his weight in chitin could see through those Veterans with Deathspitter armed Warriors, let alone a Tyrannofex. :-\ Not that I'm criticising your tactics or being an dyi, it's just personally 300pts on Guardsman and a 12-12-10 Skimmer is, in my eyes, a worse investment in points than a Tyrannofex. One lucky Rupture Cannon shot on that Vendetta or a Fleshborer Hive shooting attack on those Guardsmen could see them off with a failed morale test.
You missed the Chimera in there. I would never run 115 point Plasma Vet squads on foot.

The point is that almost 300 points are tied up in a single unit that can easily be dropped by standard units in most Guard lists. The Tyrannofex can at best kill the Chimera/some of the troops or the Vendetta in one turn, whereas it's easily possible for the Guard units to kill it in one turn, or at worst extremely cripple it.

I'm not saying that the units I've commented on are amazing or anything like that, just that Tyrannofex is easily countered and a huge points loss when it dies, which will often be early.
I play both guard and nids. And I run chimera squads with plasma and melta. You're acting like the Tyrannofex is the only thing you have to worry about. In one of my nid armies I'm throwing 3 tervigons, 2 Tyranofexes, 4 zonathorpes, 1 trygon prime, and 2 hive guard. I understand guard can down the big stuff but unless guard is outflanking you're not doing as much damage as you claiming you doing lol.
Old 05 Apr 2010, 02:32   #17 (permalink)
Shas'La

To be fair, ranged anti-tank is concern number one and that's what the Tyrannofex is packing. Zoanthropes and Trygons will be in reserve. So, that leaves Tervigons, who have few attacks in melee and not much for ranged, and Tyrannos as the big threat early game to a mech list.

Granted, my common opponent doesn't normally employ the most nuanced strategies, and that was the only person I was addressing with my comments. :P Apologies, I did not intend to derail this as "Guard can wreck Tyrannos".
Old 05 Apr 2010, 13:01   #18 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Quote:
That does seem an awful lot for just a squad of Guardsmen, do they have the Grenadiers upgrade? If not then any Tyranid player worth his weight in chitin could see through those Veterans with Deathspitter armed Warriors, let alone a Tyrannofex. :-\ Not that I'm criticising your tactics or being an dyi, it's just personally 300pts on Guardsman and a 12-12-10 Skimmer is, in my eyes, a worse investment in points than a Tyrannofex. One lucky Rupture Cannon shot on that Vendetta or a Fleshborer Hive shooting attack on those Guardsmen could see them off with a failed morale test.

Isn't there an easy counter for everything though? Is some situations the t-fex can kill more than its fair share of units. Likewise the Vendetta and vet squad could be dropped easily by some other unit as well. Hell tyranids themselves have a unit that could drop the vet squad in the Chimera easily.

Good Trades With
TraceofToxin 1

Old 05 Apr 2010, 13:02   #19 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hey lets not speak of that. I prefer to deny its existence until absolutely necessary.
Old 05 Apr 2010, 13:14   #20 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Hey lets not speak of that. I prefer to deny its existence until absolutely necessary.
I actually kind of agree. Thats why I didn't name the unspeakable. ;D

Good Trades With
TraceofToxin 1