Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Would this work?
Old 09 Jan 2010, 07:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Would this work?

From what is rumored to be the case with warriors, (4+ and 3 wounds) would anyone think a troops section of about 8 stealers, 5 warriors, 5 warriors, 5 warriors could be viable? I'm new to the game and really don't know how small is too small.
deathmetalexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2010, 23:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath
Default Re: Would this work?

I can't give deffinant answers because the codex isn't out yet, but 5 warriors would be 15 wounds, and if they are able to be taken as troops, and can still take all the options they are able to take now, 5 warriors can put out good fire (TL Deathspitters are vicious) and control objectives and only worry about S8+.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2010, 23:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Death-Merchant

I think that would give you a lot of solid scoring units. Depending on how many points the squad they would be you may have to take less squads.
Death-Merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2010, 18:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Wait a minute, I could actually REDUCE my troops?

I was under the impression that since 5e's rule with only troops counting as scoring, 4 choices was really a bare minimum and 5-6 was desirable. Was I wrong?

Could something like 5 warriors, 6 warriors and 8 stealers work?
Old 10 Jan 2010, 19:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well, to be honest you need to look at quality/capability of your troops choices. Just filling up slots won't guarantee you that you'll win games. You need to make sure your troops are survivable enough to hang in there and will be effective hanging out on objectives. For instance, whilst stealers are troops usually they're far better off running around killing things. I don't count on them to capture objectives until it gets down to turn 4 and I need to pay attention to those things

Warriors on the other hand look like they'll be great units. As long as you can swamp the enemy with other, higher priority targets the Warriors should remain relatively unscathed, protected by a bucketload of wounds and able to gun down enemies with impressive weapon symbiotes.

Really, it depends on synergy and playstyle. If you can keep two units of Warriors safe enough the whole game to hold two objectives, I'd say that you're fine. Whilst only troops can capture, anything can contest. Preventing your opponent from capturing objectives is half the battle as well. But I'd say either the 4 units or 3 units of troops is fine.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 19:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

The Stealers are going to be aggressively persecuting enemies I would assume, so that leaves you with 2 troops for scoring realistically. What point level are you looking at?
Schev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2010, 00:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schev
The Stealers are going to be aggressively persecuting enemies I would assume, so that leaves you with 2 troops for scoring realistically. What point level are you looking at?
1750, maybe eventually 2000
Old 13 Jan 2010, 00:45   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Potentially it is certainly viable. However for a 1750-2000 list you won't have that many target options for your opponent to worry about. That will be quite a major concern. I would recommend adding to your troops choices with a squad of gaunts or 2. Hormagaunts have always been a personal favourite, a mid sized unit of them (12-18), even without upgrades can really punch a hole in most lines while providing more soring units to help you hold/contest objectives as well as giving your opponent something else to worry about.

I don't have the new codex yet so I can't say for sure but warriors certainly sound like a very good troops choice now. The trick is to get the balance right to make it harder for your opponent to decide what his biggest threat is, hence my suggestion of gaunts.

The way I see it your troops options look something like this:

Genestealers: really pack a punch, can outflank, comparatively slow.
Shooty warriors: Can hassle the enemy from range while staying in cover to help their survivability
Combat warriors: If leaping is still an option for them can be very nasty, if not still as bad as genestealers, harder to deal with in some ways, but, again, comparatively slow.
Gun gaunts: Again, can hassle the enemy from range while staying in cover, survuvable in large enough numbers, cheap so massing is easy
Hormagaunts: Very quick, potentially very hard hitting (especially if they are now I5 as I heard they are), easy to redeploy quickly to contest enemy held objectives.
Ripper swarms: always underestimated, rarely used, still very useful. If they can still take leaping they are very quick, if not they are still exceptionally useful for keeping enemy units locked in combat. Granted the "mindless" rule makes their extra wounds less effective but it doesn't negate them completely.

With a decent mix of troops choices and choices made elsewhere in the list to balance them out you should have no problems whatsoever. For example if you favour combat units as troops take 1 or 2 extra shooting units to lay down cover fire and vice versa.

Out of interest, what kind of list are you looking for? A horde army? An elite army? A monstrous creature list? Also, final question I promise :P , what fits your play style best? Combat, shooting or a mix? my advice here is rather general but obviously if you're better with combat lists then your list should be more combat heavy and vice versa.

Hope this helps.
Mkoll.
Oh come on, just because I'm carrying around the joy of killing your family, doesn't mean we still can't be friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Thrace
Ah, I'm minnie, meaning I'm sexy, badass, and will happily shoot you in the back.

Damn, I hope I don't get quoted calling myself sexy. :funny:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.
Scout Sergeant Mkoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2010, 16:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well I feel silly. My troop selection has changed, as my whole list has changed. I still have 3 shooty warriors (deathspitters, VC), 6 shooty warriors (devourers, strangler), 28 termagaunts (2 choices) with the new gun, 16 hormagaunts and 8 genestealers. For HQ I have a parasite.

In the fast attack department I have 5 winged close combat warriors with rending (HOPING they're better this edition than last), 10 gargs and a harpy. In the Heavy support area I have an expensive shootyfex and finally, for elites I'm using 3 hiveguard.

I have more troops now so naturally I'm more confident about my troops section.
Old 13 Jan 2010, 17:51   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Ah fair enough bud. with any luck I'll have the new codex very soon so I should be able to give more useful advice and more informed opinions shortly.
Oh come on, just because I'm carrying around the joy of killing your family, doesn't mean we still can't be friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Thrace
Ah, I'm minnie, meaning I'm sexy, badass, and will happily shoot you in the back.

Damn, I hope I don't get quoted calling myself sexy. :funny:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.
Scout Sergeant Mkoll is offline   Reply With Quote