Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

seriously cosidering starting nids with the new dex, in need of advice
Old 12 Dec 2009, 23:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to shaso kunas
Default seriously cosidering starting nids with the new dex, in need of advice

title says it all really, specifically I want to add that I have a hatred of metal models (I don't really have time to paint figures and I like them to be personal) whcih has developed into something of a personal rule, I have built several charectors from scratch in my SM army to allow this.

firstly do you think I could run a successfull nid army with no guns at all?I'm not a big fan of nid guns and I love the idea of going mad on stealers and hormagaunts, backed by raveners and mawlocks.

obviously we don't know exactly what the new codex is going to be like but if nids still have move through cover that kindav army should be hell to shoot. masses aren't really my style but I love raveners and the big gribblys.

also, do you'se think I could convert a broodlord?

if I'd known that they were limited edition I would've bought a space hulk box and considering how much they're selling for now I'm not going to try and get my hands on one

this may just be a passing fancy but I definitely think I'm going to buy some form of big gribbly, if only for show
shaso kunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2009, 03:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha
Default Re: seriously cosidering starting nids with the new dex, in need of advice

A lot of the larger and specialized creatures are still made of pewter. If you don't like the little space marine metals than you'll hate building an all metal Tyrant.

Nothing can be said at this point, but I'm sure there will be some form of effective all CC list.

Also, capitalize your sentences please. We support correct punctuation and grammar on these forums.
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2009, 06:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Death-Merchant
Default Re: seriously cosidering starting nids with the new dex, in need of advice

you would have to try really hard to get a genestealer to look like a broodlord. most of the time it will look just like a genestealer with some extra bits thrown onto it. you would have to pretty heavily convert it for me to accept it as one.

the units you are suggesting are not known for their anti-tank abilities, so your hive tyrant or alpha warrior is going to have be packing anti-tank weapons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gada Mazaha
Also, capitalize your sentences please. We support correct punctuation and grammar on these forums.
If you think this is any different for you, you are sorely mistaken. ~Gada
Death-Merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2009, 07:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hive Lord

You might be able to convert a Broodlord, if you're comfortable with GS.

Putting it on a raised, scenic base will automatically differentiate it from the brood. Add some prominent features like, I don't know, a more prominent spine, ridges and crests on the head, etc.
Give him a slightly different paint job - maybe one extra colour, just in a few places - should be enough.
Hive Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2009, 08:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

What I was considering doing was building an army with no metal models whatsoever, after all it worked on my marines.

Maybe it is to much to ask for, I haven't exactly been faithfull to the emperor in the past but I've always come back, I have mounds of upainted orks, chaos marines and tau to proove that. It's the way GW works, they encourage you to buy anything whether or not you're going to acctually use it. I have to admit I'm a mug for decent models, so I probably will end up buying something. I probably shouldn't start an army though, I don't play enough with my marines and I have only just got them to 2000 points.

Apologies for the lack of capitalisation, I need to get into better habits in that regard.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 12:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I don't know if you read the White Dwarf magazine, but over the last 12 months or so, every time they release a new codex or Army Book they put a double page spread showing all the plastic multi-part sets available.
So I would expect that in the February White Dwarf you will see all the Tyranid options in one place, with prices and everything to make your life easier.
Sargaule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2009, 12:49   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I've been getting the white dwarf for a while and that is a sound conclusion to draw.

I'll definitely buy the codex and I might well go on to buyshiny gribbly things, possibly when I've got a bit more cash in the can