Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hive Tyrant Construction
Old 29 Nov 2009, 20:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to ollieb8
Default Hive Tyrant Construction

Hi to anyone reading this thread...
So, I recently started a tyranid army and decided to get a hive tyrant in order to improve my force but I've been having some trouble assembling it. So far I've glued the body together (three parts) and the legs to both part of the tail (also assembled). The problem is that the body isn't attaching to the bottom half properly, it isn't falling off but it isn't gluing either.
I've tried using superglue and also using normal glue but painting the contact area in order to maximise the strength.
If anyone has ideas about how I could attach the two halves properly I'd be very greatful, thank you in advance for anyone that comments.
Ollie.
[spoiler=40K Clones]Wanna play as clones in 40K?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
I'm amazed at how balanced this is. I salute you.
[/spoiler]
ollieb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2009, 22:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha
Default Re: Hive Tyrant Construction

Whew, it's been quite a while since I've built an all pewter Tyrant, but I only ever used super glue.

Start from the bottom up. Glue the body to the legs and then to the stand. It gives a good starting point and some support. I know it can take quite a while to dry sometimes so I used to support it and let it dry overnight.

I'm sure there's some tips for using super glue around the forums, but what I've found works really well is washing the model in warm, sudsy water. Make it's it's 100% dry before you attempt to glue it, and very lightly lick both contact points before you apply the super glue, then apply a very small amount of super glue to the contact points. Hold and blow gently until it dries. If it fails, let the glue dry and scrub/cut/burn/scratch the glue off and try again.
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2009, 16:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to ollieb8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gada Mazaha
Whew, it's been quite a while since I've built an all pewter Tyrant, but I only ever used super glue.

Start from the bottom up. Glue the body to the legs and then to the stand. It gives a good starting point and some support. I know it can take quite a while to dry sometimes so I used to support it and let it dry overnight.

I'm sure there's some tips for using super glue around the forums, but what I've found works really well is washing the model in warm, sudsy water. Make it's it's 100% dry before you attempt to glue it, and very lightly lick both contact points before you apply the super glue, then apply a very small amount of super glue to the contact points. Hold and blow gently until it dries. If it fails, let the glue dry and scrub/cut/burn/scratch the glue off and try again.
OK thank you for that information I'll definately try that method and see how it works for me!
[spoiler=40K Clones]Wanna play as clones in 40K?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
I'm amazed at how balanced this is. I salute you.
[/spoiler]
ollieb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2009, 18:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I STRONGLY recommend pinning the all-metal tyrant. it will save you many many tears later, as the connection between the waist and tail is insufficient to support the all metal chest and head. Then there are the two small connections between the metal legs and the tail. :sadnshocked:

How many times will that model fall over on the table, or even off the table? no. my tyrant snapped in half 3 out of my first 6 games. >

get a makita power drill and a small drill bit, a pair of wirecutters and a paperclip. Drill out a good 1/4" or more on the body and the tail, Dry fit the paperclip pin and glue that sucker in. Then get some greenstuff and make a small roll of it around the edge of the connection. then some superglue, and push the two body parts together. Let it dry. it will take about 30 min for the greenstuff to set, then a couple hours for it to really cure.

in the mean time, you can prepare the pins for the head and the two legs...
lather, rinse, repeat.
Old 01 Dec 2009, 20:31   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I just recently built a tyrant and found it really easy apart from his tail.

No matter what i tried the tail keeps coming off. Green stuff and super glue don't work.

Any help.
Old 02 Dec 2009, 01:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

reread my post.

if glue won't work, pin the sucker
Old 02 Dec 2009, 02:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

but not they arms! you should glue tack/socket/pin/magnetize them!

Click to join the Movement
salamut2202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Dec 2009, 03:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

on my tyrant I used guerrilla glue in several places, including the waist and it has only ever had an arm come off (friend pulled it out somehow :)

the guerrilla glue foams though so you gotta be careful or your model will end up looking like it was dunked in AV foam. I also find that using simple paper towels helps with super glue.

and last but not least I heard in another thread that soaking the fig in white vinegar mixed with water will make it easier but never tried it though so no garuntees.......

click on us to promote our stable growth. we wish to become powerful enough to conquer the galaxy one day!

I have one :cookie:
confused0ne is offline   Reply With Quote