Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

2 barbed stranglers?
Old 27 Nov 2009, 23:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath
Default 2 barbed stranglers?

So I was messing around in Army Builder, and apparently, there is no option for 2 barbed stranglers. Either its one, or its Twin-Linked. Is this just a mistake, or can you really not have 2 barbed stranglers.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2009, 23:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: 2 barbed stranglers?

one twin linked. for twice the cost you can reroll the scatter. rather pointless actually.

Click to join the Movement
salamut2202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2009, 23:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Goliath, doubling up any weapon for Tyranids results in it being Twin-linked, UNLESS it comes Twin-linked, as is the case with Devourers and Deathspitters on Tyranid MCs. If you were to take two Barbed Stranglers on a Fex, it would simply become Twin-linked. The same result can be reached by doubling up on, say, VCs on a Fex, or Deathspitters on a Warrior, etc.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Nov 2009, 04:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
one twin linked. for twice the cost you can reroll the scatter. rather pointless actually.
Are you sure that's the case for blast weapons? I thought it was re-roll to wound. In fact I am convinced it is. Don't have the rule-book on me but could someone check that out?

And yes it would become twin-linked, which if I am right means you would be re-rolling a high strength weapon that will usually wound on a 2+ (as I would suggest you are using it on infantry) And for that amount of points, I say it is better to go for some deathspitters (Assuming you want some blasty-blasty)
Old 28 Nov 2009, 06:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath

No, only flamer templates reroll to wound

And thats rather dissapointing ): I wanted 2 Barbed stranglers D<
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2009, 12:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Don't do this unless you don't care about the look of your army at all. Even the "good" twin linked strangler conversions look absolutely retarded, because you're left with two gun arms and no kind of defense in melee.

Tyranids, in the fluff and the game itself, are an assault dominated army. Even units like termagaunts and spinegaunts are often best used when shooting while moving before tying the foe up in combat (if ever shooting at all). Asthetically, the best way to go is to give every shooting carnifex/warrior squad a pair of scything talons. This is also fluffy, as it is unlikely that a monster of such importance would not be designed without close combat defenses.

Do what's fluffy
Do what looks half decent
PLEASE don't desecrate another carnifex. There are so many number crunchers and tournament players out there that nobody seems to care about how the game looks anymore.
deathmetalexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2009, 12:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterofthecourt
Quote:
Are you sure that's the case for blast weapons? I thought it was re-roll to wound. In fact I am convinced it is. Don't have the rule-book on me but could someone check that out?

And yes it would become twin-linked, which if I am right means you would be re-rolling a high strength weapon that will usually wound on a 2+ (as I would suggest you are using it on infantry) And for that amount of points, I say it is better to go for some deathspitters (Assuming you want some blasty-blasty)
Nope, optional scatter reroll.
Old 03 Dec 2009, 12:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Death-Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathmetalexplosion
Don't do this unless you don't care about the look of your army at all. Even the "good" twin linked strangler conversions look absolutely retarded, because you're left with two gun arms and no kind of defense in melee.

Tyranids, in the fluff and the game itself, are an assault dominated army. Even units like termagaunts and spinegaunts are often best used when shooting while moving before tying the foe up in combat (if ever shooting at all). Asthetically, the best way to go is to give every shooting carnifex/warrior squad a pair of scything talons. This is also fluffy, as it is unlikely that a monster of such importance would not be designed without close combat defenses.

Do what's fluffy
PLEASE don't desecrate another carnifex. There are so many number crunchers and tournament players out there that nobody seems to care about how the game looks anymore.
actually, i would use the carnifex's high STR to make the venom cannon, or various other guns better. but i do agree that carnifexs SHOULD be close combat based. i just feel natural STR 9 is overkill, and the hive tyrants lowly STR 6 is enough to do damage in close conbat. but, i've just started looking at tyranids as a competitive army, so i could be wrong.
Death-Merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2009, 17:49   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathmetalexplosion

Do what's fluffy
Actually, I must disagree. when tyranids first came out, they were rather evenly divided between assault and shooting, then in 4th, they were much more assault based. The current 5th ed seems to lean more towards shooting but still offers significant awards for assault.

The new codex is going to have much more shooting I think.

as for good looking gunfexes, haven't you seen Hive fleets Moloch?
http://www.hivefleetmoloch.de/broadside_fex.php (gunfex)
and Oroborus?
http://www.hivefleetmoloch.de/ourobo...vy_support.php (look at the baby 'phant)
http://www.hivefleetmoloch.de/ouroboros_elite.php (check out the devilfex)
those are just two examples of fantastic looking armies that incorporate a fair amount of shooting.

A player should make an army to his own aesthetics and not bow to what other people think their army should be.
Old 04 Dec 2009, 18:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Woah, I've been thuroughly convinced (and this is what did it for me).

http://www.hivefleetmoloch.de/ouroboros_elite.php