Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Persuade me to become a Nids player
Old 18 Nov 2009, 12:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Persuade me to become a Nids player

hey guys i finally got 1,500 points of orks and im kind of bored of using them, so i wanted to choose something else and i saw Tyranids that looked quite for me

Persuade me to get Tyranids instead of Tau and some hints on what to get would be great help.
Jasonsea212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2009, 12:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Persuade me to become a Nids player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonsea212
hey guys i finally got 1,500 points of orks and im kind of bored of using them, so i wanted to choose something else and i saw Tyranids that looked quite for me

Persuade me to get Tyranids instead of Tau and some hints on what to get would be great help.
Try reading this
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,89898.0.html

after that consider the following:
Play an army you like the fluff for, the story of, what and who they fight for, and whether you like the models or not. those will sustain you through wins and losses alike.

Note: new codex comes out January.
new battleforce comes out early January.
if starting nids, seriously consider waiting until then.
Old 18 Nov 2009, 13:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Get yourself acquainted with the Tyranid fluff, the feel of the army isn't likely to change all that radically even if rules do when we get our new Codex in January. We're likely still going to be an intergalactic locust swarm of ravening beasts, driven on by the collective psychic consciousness of the Hive Mind.

In terms of the story, the Tyranids operate like a macro organism. Each individual Tyranid is little more than a single cell would be to us. You don't sweat the individual skin cells you kill and slough off when you scratch an itch, the Hive Mind doesn't care about the life of an insignificant gaunt, or even the mightiest Hive Tyrant or Bio-titan if expending it's life buys the Tyranids overall victory - it will gladly send waves and waves of gaunts at a defensive point simple to run the resistance out of ammunition as though they were ammunition before sending the bigger warrior beasts in to clean up. Think of the Synapse creatures like an individual nerve cell. It can communicate with other Synapse creatures like nerve cells communicate with each other, except instead of passing chemical/electrical signals to each other, they pass psychic signals. The exact nature of the Hive Mind isn't exactly understood, but observations point to it being a collective gestalt consciousness. Much like our own consciousness somehow derives from the billions of nerve signals being passed to one another, the Hive Mind seems to be a consciousness derived from the sum of all the Synapse communication going on between Tyranids. Also, rather than being a centralized nervous system, where our consciousness develops in our brain, the Hive Mind is likely decentralized, with disparate physically disconnected but psychically connected constituent parts, which span the entire distance of all the combined Hive Fleets.

It manifests in game as the rules for Synapse, Psychic Scream, Shadow in the Warp mostly, but in fluff it's really impressive too. There is so much psychic activity going on when a Hive Fleet arrives in a system that it acts like a static background white noise that literally drowns out all other psychic communication. Planets and systems are cut off from calling for help, isolated by the very predator that is about to kill them. In fact it's one of the few ways the Imperium has of tracking the movement of Hive Fleets and recognizing new encroaching ones - look for the pattern of worlds that cease communicating. If you show up to investigate and all that's left are barren hunks of rock where once thriving planets existed. You've found yourself a Tyranid Hive Fleet. The Hive Mind is so vast and terrible it reduces psykers to gibbering madness when confronted with it, only allowing the strongest to still manage to hold on and utilize the warp.

Whatever it is, it's vast, intelligent, ruthless, and ravenously hungry. And you get to play its part when you direct your swarms to slaughter all in their path.

I like it because it isn't exactly evil, not like chaos, not like the necrons... no more than nature. You wouldn't call a lion eating a gazelle evil, though the gazelle might think so if it were capable. Much like that the Tyranids are not evil, though humanity paints them as such because they are an extreme threat. They have a wonderful *feel* to them because they are a big nasty unknown, an ultimate super-predator, uncanny, and incalculably vast. They descend on planets in the billions, every single tyranid organism from the largest bio-titans, down to the small weapon beasts, ammunition, to even the tiniest phage cells and biologically engineered virii, the tyranids are one vast macro organism. They isolate worlds, inject themselves into the planet through mycetic spore insertion, mutate the planet while slaughtering its defenses, and then render all of it, including their own warrior beasts down into biological gruel which the Hive Ships suck back out into space, feeding the Fleet, leaving nothing but scoured rock behind.

Yet they aren't unstoppable. One wonders how on the whole they could ever possibly be stopped, but on a smaller level, Hive Fleets can and have been defeated by heroic and some times questionable actions. It grants them excellent character as a "bad guy" race in 40k, this big scary spooky unknown, more alien than any other threat facing the Imperium, and really the whole galaxy, yet without falling into the Mary Sue category.

In terms of rules, we have top notch close combat, strong ranged options if you biomorph for it, and a great range of small, mid-sized, and huge creatures to field. There's really a lot of options for very viable and competitive lists, and we probably should expect even more diversity (particularly viable swarms again) when we get our new Codex as it seems to be the path GW is taking. We might see some codex creep in terms of strength, but overall the Tyranids are already a strong army, with a great model range that's just about to expand with even more plastic options available, and a few new metal models. There's a lot you can do with them, and they can be used to devastating effect on the battlefield.
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2009, 13:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks for the replys but im still not completly convinced, close but not close enough

what made me like them is the big swarm of Gaunts that come running over the battlefield with the few carnifexes in the background snarling as they shoot their big weaponery (cant remember what the weapons are called)

also i love them sneaky genestealers that just come from the sides and munch at their prey
Old 18 Nov 2009, 14:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If it's particular units you like, then you're best bet is to probably wait just a short time until January to see if the new rules for them in the next Codex suit you.
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2009, 14:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thats what I was planning to do if i went for Tyranids Nezal
Old 18 Nov 2009, 15:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You have to be OK with the general feel of the army you want to play. The tyranids are a swarm of space locusts, enlarged beyond any sense of scale like the rest of 40k. What distinguishes the tyranid swarm from most other predators is that they can not be kept in balance with their prey. Wolves prey on deer, but they eat the weak and the old, primarily, keeping the rest of the herd healthy. Tyranids eat EVERYTHING, leaving nothing left and forcing them to find more food or starve. Much of the rest of the 40k universe has conflicts that could develop into a stable standoff (orks are self-limiting, the Warp is a natural barrier between Chaos and the rest, etc.), but the tyranids are an unstable system. They will either be contained by superior force and starve, or they will wipe out an inferior one and starve. Either way, they eat everything they can, then starve!

Feel-wise, the army concentrates on close-combat and ridiculous numbers of models. They seem somewhat similar to the orcs that way, although that's an opinion based on not ever playing either one. I haven't seen many Nid armies on the table since people got used to the way No Retreat works in 5th edition rules, but I expect a major resurgence in the next few months when they get a new codex. I haven't heard much for rumors on how the army is going to change, so it might be a good idea to wait until the new codex comes out and see how you like it.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2009, 15:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

When the new codex comes out, i have no doubt that Nids will surge in popularity. I can see Nids playable as both a shooty list or as an all assault force. The models, hopefully, will be fantastic - they are already a pleasure to paint and convert.

In terms of abilities, weapons and stats, Nids are quite a unique force playable as Swarms, Nidzilla, and Flying Circus. If new Gargoyles come out and some new rules be prepared to see a lot of flying Nids swarming the opponent - Goyles are really just guants. We might see some new MCs as well which would be fantastic.

If you vcan't get excited about Nids now with the new codex coming out then you never will!
bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2009, 15:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ok thanks for everything everyone but i've been convinced Tau is for more.
Old 18 Nov 2009, 15:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody's home
When the new codex comes out, i have no doubt that Nids will surge in popularity. I can see Nids playable as both a shooty list or as an all assault force. The models, hopefully, will be fantastic - they are already a pleasure to paint and convert.

In terms of abilities, weapons and stats, Nids are quite a unique force playable as Swarms, Nidzilla, and Flying Circus. If new Gargoyles come out and some new rules be prepared to see a lot of flying Nids swarming the opponent - Goyles are really just guants. We might see some new MCs as well which would be fantastic.

If you vcan't get excited about Nids now with the new codex coming out then you never will!
Flying Circus? I haven't heard that term before. Is it basically an all-jump-infantry list: Flyrants, Winged Warriors, and Gargoyles? I would think Hormogaunts would be fast enough that they would still work even though they are ground-based.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote