Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Winged Warriors in Melee
Old 03 Nov 2009, 19:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Winged Warriors in Melee

Can winged warriors geared up for melee ever be effective? I've heard the "leaping is better" argument over and over, and I understand why people say this.

-Wings are expenisve
-Wings do not allow for + armor
-These factors, combined with their speed, make winged warriors fire magnets.

I wonder if anyone has had experience to the contrary. The way I see it, winged warriors with claws and talons could probably be a huge threat to any vehicle that isn't a monolith or land raider as well as terminator equivalents, moreso than anything else because of their speed.

I'd like to see different opinions on this one. What mobile non monstrous creature option works best for melee? Are winged melee warriors useless?
deathmetalexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2009, 02:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Winged Warriors in Melee

Yes Winged Warriors are useless. Period. The fact that they a. cost as much as terminators b. are as easy to kill as ork boyz and c. are no better that their leaping counterparts (or genestealers) means that they will never see any use. Anything that you can do to a Winged Warrior, you can give to something that is more durable/numerous/cheaper.
Grr! Here is a new word to express my anger:

#$@&#\*%#@^@
Gaahrneedtokill

Life is a basket of crazed, flesh eating weasels.
>
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewiththeface
my friend had a teacher on a test after getting 49 question right, he got the 50th wrong and the teacher wrote "C-c-c-c-combo breaker-r-r-r" next to it.
Notanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Nov 2009, 17:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanoob
Yes Winged Warriors are useless. Period. The fact that they a. cost as much as terminators b. are as easy to kill as ork boyz and c. are no better that their leaping counterparts (or genestealers) means that they will never see any use. Anything that you can do to a Winged Warrior, you can give to something that is more durable/numerous/cheaper.
Second.

Until the next codex update, stay away from warriors. The only type of warrior I've had good experience with is a (1) minimum sized squad used to stay in the back to give synapse to troop types on my home objective, when I don't have any heavy slots open. This is all I expect them to do in the game or (2) a very large squad with no upgrades and only deathspitters. Even so, I was not playing competitively.

I'd only take wings if I was doing some sort of vanguard with them, but I dont take them in my vanguard RTT army.
Old 08 Nov 2009, 19:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

To be honest i've given the Winged Warriors a 2nd look after being one of those biggest advocates to how much they suck.

They've surprisingly become one of my favorite units (i think it's mostly because of how cool they look with the weapon symbiotes tho lol)

I've been able to keep them alive by flying and then using RUN to move into cover preferably area terrain to guarantee their survival from anything that doesnt 'ignore cover'

They are also pretty good at keeping up with the faster units in the army.

And they tend to kill pretty effectively but then again that would be more based on my good tactical sense of what to send them up against.

The one thing i've noticed in comparison to shooty warriors is that i do NEED to be careful with these otherwise they would get killed quick and they cost way too many points for me to allow that.

And because i need to be so careful with them, they spend one or two turns hiding until they can have a target withing 18" meaning they do less damage overall than shooty warriors with lets say deathspitters that can start shooting from turn 1 and doing damage to the enemy.

So i'd say all in all shooty warriors are defiently still much more effective in all terms. But the winged warriors are not entirely horrible to play even with combat biomorphs as long as you use them properly at the right time.

Also don't expect to make ur points back, rather focus on taking out key units.
Old 09 Nov 2009, 11:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

In regular games I pretty much always prefer leaping to wings. They are definitely not useless though. Wings can be instrumental for faster movement if you are looking for Synapse support following fast moving units, it's just there are other things which can fill that role, like a Flying Tyrant (and leaping running warriors tend to be almost as good and more durable to boot).

However, don't just pass over them in Planetstrike games, especially when you are the attacker. Wings make them Jump Infantry, and Jump Infantry can Deep Strike like normal, so when you are the Attacker in Planetstrike, you can Deep Strike in and Assault immediately after they hit the table.
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2009, 07:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I have always liked the idea of winged warriors for playing against tau. If you could get 9 or so winged warriors running up in amongst some hormagaunts, with lictors popping out here and there, I think It would earn its points back quite quickly, assuming you jump into a bunch of firewarriors.
Old 11 Nov 2009, 15:32   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I prefer leaping if anything for warriors, simply because most people aren't used to maneuvering around 12" assaults. Same reason i like hormagaunts.

P.S. beating up firewarriors is like running around hitting babies with frying pans... you should be ashamed of your self.
FADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2009, 16:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yes - winged warriors aren't the best unit.

Please take a look at this thread !!!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,98302.0.html
xenoscd is offline   Reply With Quote