Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Planned Tyranid Army
Old 01 Nov 2009, 05:43   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Planned Tyranid Army

Hi people.
Got a copy of the 'Nid codex recently (and yes, I know that there will be a new one coming out soon but I couldn't wait and I barely ever make it to a GW store) and have planned a Tyranid army I might build long term (and I mean REALLY long term). Here's the link. http://tauonline.org/index.php?conte...lists&army=320
Suggestions and criticism please.
Old 01 Nov 2009, 14:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha
Default Re: Planned Tyranid Army

I'd consider breaking your Spinegaunts into 2 broods of 16. It's much more manageable, though more KPs.

On your Carnifex(shooty one) drop Toxic Miasma, drop Toxin Sacs, and drop Extended Carapace. Pick up the +1 wound instead.

Other Carnifex is pretty damn expensive. You might want to consider removing a few biomorphs to drop his points.

Your Warriors can't seem to decide if they want to be CC or shooty. You should focus on on instead of making them extremely expensive by trying to do both. I'd recommend shooting since melee ones are more expensive and usually less effective.

Your Tyrant is really expensive without much of a punch. Two Venom Cannons make them twin-linked, not another weapon to fire. If anything, I suggest a winged Tyrant with either Devourers or Scything Talons to rip up opponents.
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2009, 23:18   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 04:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

swap some of the spinegaunt for genestealers or hormagaunts. this is more expensive but opens a lot up. enemies quickly learn to fear genestealers, and will try very hard to kill them. this means that some of your other units get a brief break. also genestealers can kill most threats I've faced. hormagaunts are more dangerous in close combat than spinegaunts, and if you field a lot of them you more than make up for not having a 12 inch weapon. yeah the tyrant needs some fixing. might I suggest scything talons instead o one of the venom cannons. in general your army seems to me to be too shooting oriented. I think you need some more close combat capability. final note due to general better weapons in my opinion, I think you should swap spinefists for fleshborers. they are OK for shooting, and aren't too expensive.

click on us to promote our stable growth. we wish to become powerful enough to conquer the galaxy one day!

I have one :cookie:
confused0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2009, 17:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Go read my Tyranid Primer You have a lot of design issues that I talk about in there.

Quote:
Wargear: Adrenal Glands (I and WS), Enhanced Senses, Extended Carapace, Toxin Sacs, Venom Cannon, Venom Cannon, Toxic Miasma
Your Tyrant is not only expensive and ineffective, but also illegal.
You may not take a biomorph more than once. You may choose adrenal glands, but must select either +I OR +WS.
Additionally, focus on the task you want your tyrant to perform; Assault? Vehicle suppression? infantry killer? Venom cannons are currently decent at vehicle suppression and can be murder on open-topped vehicles. Barbed stranglers do ok, and can be good at blasting light and medium infantry, as well as light vehicles. Deathspitter is a little expensive, and isn't too bad at medium vehicles.

Without wings, it's not really a good idea to give him scythe talons as it will be difficult to catch units that are a good match for him, so perhaps a venom cannon/devourer or VC/Deathspitter or VC/Barbed Strangler. Remove the assault upgrades, and consider attaching at least one tyrant guard to the unit. By doing this, you're making a solid backfield synapse node for whatever gaunts you eventually settle on.

Most people who field warriors go one of two routes: deathspitter spam or assault. Your overall army looks to be a little light on the assault front, so perhaps you should actually focus on Shooty Bugs from Hell.

3 lictors are an excellent addition, but I can see from your list that you're not really prepared to use them to their greatest advantage. You only have 2 assault broods and a godfex.

Go read the Primer. It will help you rethink your list.

Old 25 Nov 2009, 19:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by striogi
You may not take a biomorph more than once. You may choose adrenal glands, but must select either +I OR +WS.
read the games workshop f.a.q. you CAN take both.

click on us to promote our stable growth. we wish to become powerful enough to conquer the galaxy one day!

I have one :cookie:
confused0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2009, 20:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused0ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by striogi
read the games workshop f.a.q. you CAN take both.
hey, lookit that. they changed it and I missed it. meh.