Warhammer 40K Forum

Flyrant build
Old 16 Oct 2009, 12:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Flyrant build

I was wondering about a tyrant build...

2x scything talons, warp blast, enhanced senses, winged

161 pts

The logic is (and correct me if I'm wrong) that warp blast replaces any ranged attacks, so it only makes sense to give a blasty tyrant melee weapons for backup.

Would this work?
deathmetalexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2009, 14:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Flyrant build

It's a legal build.

But consider that if you choose Warp Blast, you can't choose Warp Field, so your Tyrant will only have a 3+ save as you can't take wings and Extended Carapace.

Also consider that if you fly your melee Tyrant and stop to shoot with Warp Blast when it lands, that you will not use that opportunity to run, possibly getting you to CC faster.

Also, you probably shouldn't bother with Enhanced senses if you use Warp Blast on the Tyrant, you can't use the Focused Blast from Warp Blast if you have Enhanced senses, and the unfocused is a scatter die anyway.

So this isn't a set up I'd choose to use I think there are better options for biomorph combinations for the points you'd spend, but it's a legal build assuming you follow the rules for no focused warp blasts with the enhanced senses.
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2009, 16:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yea, if you want to be an 'in your face' tyrant I think a different power might be in order as well. Psychic scream I think would be something nice for this guy to have.

The problem with winged is really the 3+. That means Krak rockets are going to get a wound on 2+, no save. And with a flyrant that looks so intimidating I don't think he will last long.

A couple of other extras that might be nice include bioplasma, I mean its basically an extra attack like Scything Talons. A situationally useful toxic miasma might also come in handy to reduce the number of hits you are going to be taking.

But hey, as it stand your tyrant is good to go if you want to keep him as a simple ascetic Flyrant.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 20:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

As has been said, it's legal, but it's not as effective as it could be. I, for one, would go for Warp Field over Warp Blast. This would make Enhance Senses useless so it could be removed. Then, to amplify the CC prowess that you're clearly going for with the Scything Talon build I'd throw on Flesh Hooks, Toxin Sacs, and +WS.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2009, 14:10   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

The current proposed build is a jack-of-all-trades type build. Some melee, some ranged. Using it correctly on the table will always offer less than optimum choices.
For example, to shoot, you need LOS, and thus they will in turn have LOS to you. A single shot (Warp blast) through cover is reduced by 50% in effectiveness. If you are not in cover, you have a mere 3+ save and a large sign saying 'Kill me.'
In melee, you have not chosen any of the enhancement biomorph - flesh hooks, implant attack, etc.

My advice would be to choose one role, then outfit it for that. CC or ranged:
Ranged the twinlinked devourers, +1 BS, +1S Warp Field is fairly popular.
CC - two scythed, implant, +1WS, Toxin, Toxic, flesh hooks, acid maw. A brute in CC, but needs to stay out of firelanes.

How ever you choose to go, the Flyrant is a nice fig to see on the field.
Old 17 Oct 2009, 14:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I understand what you're saying, but I can't do that two guns thing. Honestly, it's hiddeous!

Here you have this big monster engineered to fight and it has these two little bee hives for arms. WHAT?! As a matter of fact I hope they make a rule in 5e that every tyranid monstrous creature and warrior requires a set of melee weapons. I appreciate the advice, but I just won't powergame at the expense of my model's dignity, ever.

You know, I've had some good experiences with an old fex of mine that used a strangler and scything talons. He didn't hit every time but damn it, he was fun and effective. Are there any ranged tyrant builds you would suggest that don't involve two weapons? Is warp blast ever worth taking?
deathmetalexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2009, 19:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
I appreciate the advice, but I just won't powergame at the expense of my model's dignity, ever.
Second, what all the other people have been saying.

I don't mean to insult you, but the angle you're coming from makes you sound more vain than trying to play a fair game. The fluff doesnt state that a Tyranid MC typically has a melee weapon and a large ranged weapon.

I agree with you that he looks silly with the gimpy arms. What I did to get around this was I took a venom cannon, lopped the gun barrel off and converted 4 devourer tips onto the gun. It goes from little bee hive to giant strawberry gun. This frees up an arm socket for the wings.

The guys probably already stated why warp blast on a HT is undesirable. If youre within range of the warp blast, you're withing range of assaulting it. The difference between both: warp blast is 1/2 a chance to hit, 1 shot, versus assaulting with 3+1 attacks on the charge hitting the rear armor. Thats if you dont give him any scything talons as well.
Old 17 Oct 2009, 21:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

I don't blame you for not wanting to go with the Devourers. I, too, thought it was beneath my Tyrant to have such stubby arms; that's more fitting for the Carnifex. Melee Flyrants are perfectly effective and I run one in my list all of the time. If you are going to go that route, though, do take into consideration what has been posted. You're going to want to lose by the +BS and Warp Blast and take Warp Field instead. Further, there are many useful biomorphs for a CC Flyrant, such as +S, +I, +WS, Implant Attack, and otherwise.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2009, 16:41   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

That build is only legal if you do not use the Focused Warp Blast. The rules for the psychic power is quite specific on what happens when a Tyrant uses Enhanced Senses and Warp Blast.

So you'd have to use good ol' fashioned talon power for eating tanks and popping TEQs.

I'd personally say ditch the EnSenses and WB in favour of Warp Field for the 2+/6+ save, and then tweak the CC biomorphs up a bit.

My Flyrant comes out to a little bit over 200 points, and he's geared up with all the fixin's and sports a pair of Scything talons and the Bonesword/Lashwhip combo, but magnetized in cash I ever want to get a good deal less subtle.

The Lashwhip is a fantastic piece of symbiotic weaponry to have on the Flyrant, who is usually out there assaulting on his own - subtract 1 attack from every model in base contact. So, use the Flyrant to hit well-armoured units with small numbers and watch them squirm.
Old 18 Oct 2009, 23:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Though the dakkatyrant may look silly it is just soooooo effective.
But if you are going for dignity nothing says "respect me" more than a sword and whip, and then perhaps some talons, I seem to find it a waste to make combo fex's but asthetics-wise, perhaps the lash whip/bone sword combo would looknice with a venom cannon.

Quote:
I agree with you that he looks silly with the gimpy arms. What I did to get around this was I took a venom cannon, lopped the gun barrel off and converted 4 devourer tips onto the gun. It goes from little bee hive to giant strawberry gun. This frees up an arm socket for the wings.
That is a really good idea, I might just have to try it.