Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tyranid Color Scheme
Old 11 Oct 2009, 14:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Tyranid Color Scheme

I've attached a picture. What do you guys think? I mean, the paint job itself is pretty bad- but the actual colors, do you guys approve?

*edit*

-The chitin, for those who can't tell, is a mix between a dull mustardy yellow color and a slightly brighter dirty yellow. and yeah, I should really liven up the chitin yellow a bit.

deathmetalexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2009, 16:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Tyranid Color Scheme

well, can't really tell what colour the chitin is, looks like dark green of gray to me. Anyway it kinda works for me
Sjoerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2009, 05:41   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

The colors that you chose arent bad imo. But, what i think you should do, is after the first application of the tanish, cover the recesses with flesh wash. Maybe to keep the lighter color, half flesh wash (flesh wash has a slight red tone compared to brown ink), and half yellow ink. After the wash, re-apply the tanish over the raised edges on the carapace.

This will bring the model to life a bit more. Adding depth, and taking away the flat color.

Old 12 Oct 2009, 14:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero40k
The colors that you chose arent bad imo. But, what i think you should do, is after the first application of the tanish, cover the recesses with flesh wash. Maybe to keep the lighter color, half flesh wash (flesh wash has a slight red tone compared to brown ink), and half yellow ink. After the wash, re-apply the tanish over the raised edges on the carapace.

This will bring the model to life a bit more. Adding depth, and taking away the flat color.
What is tannish? Rofl, I was never trained formally how to paint

Flesh wash, that's a color you can buy? Or you mean a wash of a color called flesh? And what exactly is washing? I forgot.

I like where you're going with your wash idea... Going for more red/yellow hues could serve to breathe some life into my color scheme. My current "just brown" approach to the crevices in my armor is a wee bit dull. I could buy some paints and test em out on some old genestealers I'm not using, thanks.

Also, as I've noticed some ambiguity with my carapace highlight colors, I'm going to make them more vibrant. It WAS a mix of dessert yellow and bubonic brown, but I'm not considering something like bubonic brown/golden yellow or possibly even boubonic brown/fortress gray.
deathmetalexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2009, 17:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I actually like the color scheme, I think it has a very coherent look to it. It's muted, but very earthy in it's feel, and I think the browns blend fairly well with the flesh color. Giving the flesh areas a darker wash to pick out the recesses, and then after it's dry, drybrushing on a highlight to pick up the raised areas will help give the model more depth.

It would help to have a few more pictures though, from different angles for us to look at. If you are going to brighten up the carapace plates with an even lighter yellow, I'd leave a good amount of the color you've already done there and really just get the very edges with a very thin line of the brighter color. That should give you a blended look on a single carapace plate itself while giving a nice crisp delineation between the different carapace plates.
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2009, 00:21   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

In tanish i mean the main chitin color, lol sorry. Pic looks a little dark, so i thought it was just a tan. Anyways, the Flesh Wash that i was speaking of earlier is a color that can be purchased. Its a Citadel paint, and its an ink. Ink as in, its almost as thin as water. Doing an Ink wash over the recesses and parts of the model that dip into a crevasse will add depth.

What im thinking, is after the ink wash, use Desert Yellow (mustardy, earth tone) over the raised edges. Then, after the Desert Yellow, paint on top the original color you have in the picture. Its time consuming to do layers like this on Tyranids, but trust me when i say that you'll be satisfied by the results.

You may want to try it out on a different model though, maybe an extra gaunt or something. When it comes to trying new paint schemes, i always use a ripper, then try it on a gaunt if it looks good. Hope that helps
Old 13 Oct 2009, 00:30   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Sorry, but just to clear it up, all the colors that i had posted are Citadel paints. Sold where you purchase your 40k needs (every place ive been to so far at least)