Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Without number?
Old 10 Oct 2009, 18:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Without number?

Can someone explain what the without number rule is?

It came up in a battle but it seems too cheap for what he said it does and there were no nid codexs handy.
Old 10 Oct 2009, 22:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Without number?

Basically, if a Gaunt unit with Without Number is removed from play then on the owner's next turn it may re-enter play from the owner's table edge, with exactly the same profile and armaments and at full strength. For the purposes of Kill Points it is considered a completely separate unit (and thus a single unit of Gaunts may give up more than one Kill Point if destroyed over and over again).
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2009, 11:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hmmm...

It is quite an annoying rule as he brought them on and they came on to an objective winning him the game.
Old 11 Oct 2009, 11:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

In its defence, you do have to purchase the ability (at a fairly hefty cost comparatively), it infers certain limitations on the unit it is purchased for, and being on a non-Synapse unit means that on any turn after the one it re-enters play he'll either need to take an Instinctive Behaviour test or manoeuvre a Synapse creature into range.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2009, 15:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Personally I never tried this one, but I could see it as useful if employed with some skill.

First of all, I wonder if this could be one of the more effective "speed bump" strategies in the game. Get some spinegaunts + without number, seven points I believe. Find a squad of modest troops, preferably GEQ's, and rush to assault. When your gaunts use without number to respawn, rush back to the same troop. I'll bet this can work wonders in terms of preventing troops from being able to score objectives.

Also, consider a static tyranid army- Yes, I said a static tyranid army. If you could pull this off at all it would probably be through the use of without number gaunts. If you think about it, if you keep your synapse hunkered down behind great cover in the beginning of the board, your gaunts will respawn with full synapse cover. Biovores can shoot over their heads when they reach combat, and if the enemy is foolish enough to charge into the rest of your army after he's killed your spinegaunts, he'll have to deal with your big guns- and more gaunts!!!

I'm not a very experienced player but I can see this working, more or less only if you have a specific reason or goal in mind. In terms of practicality and flexibility though I always prefer a termie with a fleshborer and nothing else. Without number can be a bitch
deathmetalexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2009, 16:24   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

You missed the point cost of WON spinegaunts by 1.

Static Tyranids will have a very tough time against mech armies. And let's face it, most of them are going that way - the troops-in-transport is endemic now. You need your MC in CC to pop most heavy vehicles, so sitting in the back won't work well. Plus, most players realize that Tyranids are fairly good in CC, so they will appreciate the chance to sit back and plug us with their superior firepower.

WON gaunts are nice meat shields - granted in VP games, they are suckers for punishment and quick points, but the twin abilities - last turn securing an objective in our own deployment zone, and providing a never ending screen between any CC unit sent to still the Sniperfex - can be very powerful.

In an Apoc game, the Endless Swarm formation is priceless. Impossible for the enemy to overcome swarms of 300+ that recycle (largest limitation is the coming on from reserve edge, which means a long way for them to walk across any board in the game time limit.)