Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Inhuman Strength
Old 08 Oct 2009, 06:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Inhuman Strength

Does the Broodlord lose this nifty little ability when he takes a retinue? The rules seem to suggest that he does but fluff wise why would he become weaker?
Don't have the rulebook on me, but i think the rule is something like "When an independant character joins a retinue, the independant character loses all special abilities not shared by the IC and retinue."
Thanks for the help
Old 08 Oct 2009, 08:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Inhuman Strength

There is no reason why the Broodlord would lose this special ability when joined by a retinue. The rule regarding the loss of special abilities (which isn't really a rule, just a trend in the way certain rules are worded) applies to rules like Stubborn and Fearless, or anything else that affects morale saves.
I'm the face that you have to face
Mirrored in your stare
I'm what's left, I'm what's right
I'm the enemy
I'm the hand that'll take you down,
Bring you to your knees.
Arnorath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2009, 08:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

well seeing it's compulsory for him to take a retinue and he has the rule, would it make sense if that, for some reason, were true?

Click to join the Movement
salamut2202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2009, 08:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
The rule regarding the loss of special abilities (which isn't really a rule, just a trend in the way certain rules are worded) applies to rules like Stubborn and Fearless, or anything else that affects morale saves.
Doesn't that mean the broodlord would get fleet? I know he can't but thats what it sounds like.

Quote:
well seeing it's compulsory for him to take a retinue and he has the rule, would it make sense if that, for some reason, were true?
Reread my codex and realised this were the case, fair enough then.
Old 08 Oct 2009, 11:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You have to cross reference rules from the Codex and Main Rulebook. The Broodlord must take a retinue first off, there is no choice to not do so, his brood is "One Broodlord and a retinue of 5-11 Genestealers" at minimum you must purchase 5 additional Genestealers if you take him.

Next, you need to check pg 74 in the main rulebook. The rules like infiltrate, fleet, and move through cover are marked with asterisk's for when an independent character would lose the ability when joining a group that doesn't have it, or vice versa. Other rules like Fearless have within their entry itself when ICs gain the ability by joining a unit with it, or lose it if they join a unit without it. It would make no sense for the Broodlord to lose Inhuman Strength if joined by the retinue because it would mean he only has it after his mandatory retinue was killed, but moreover, there's nothing specific in the entry to indicate he loses it. When combined with the fact that ICs operate very differently in close combat than they do out of combat when joined with a unit or retinue, it makes even less sense for them to lose that. You need to reference the main rulebook on pg47-49 about Characters. Independent characters are treated as a single model separate unit in combat, when joined by a retinue or group, and return to being treated as part of the group once combat attacks have been resolved.
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2009, 14:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezalhualixtlan
Next, you need to check pg 74 in the main rulebook. The rules like infiltrate, fleet, and move through cover are marked with asterisk's for when an independent character would lose the ability when joining a group that doesn't have it, or vice versa.
wait, so we know the broodlord looses fleet, so and the stealers can't get infiltrate. So the stealer's fleet isn't confered to the Broodlord, and the Broodlord's infiltrate isn;t confered to the stealers.

so the only way to outflank is for both the Broodlord AND the stealers to take scuttlers, giving both scout, as it's also asterisxed and both must have it as it's non transferable.
Blindmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2009, 14:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

I seem to have misplaced my Tyranid codex so I cannot quote the page, but I'm near-certain that the Broodlord's unit entry specifies that his Infiltrate is an exception to such rule and is automatically bestowed upon his entire retinue.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2009, 14:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Droids_Rule is right, the Broodlords Infiltrate entry isn't just a listed rule, it specifically states that the Broodlord and his brood retinue may infiltrate.
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2009, 21:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

jeez this is a surprise didn't know it could get this mixed up but i can see where the confusion would be nonetheless

and yeah like others have said here the broodlord and retinue only lose fleet because the unit must move at the speed of the slowest model (the broodlord)

And there's also no point giving the stealers, scuttlers as it would be lost for the same reason.

Other than that, everything else works as normal.